cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyler_Durden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 168

Re: Very close to returning my 2nd BT Whole Home WiFi...

- Exactly which devices are having issues

- 1x Google Home & 2x Google Home Minis - Stops streaming at random times, often require resetting and reconnecting to the network.

- Which software version they are running

- Google Homes (latest firmware) - 106111

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful),

- December, when I bought the BT Whole Home WiFi. I updated firmware on the discs upon installation. I have not had BT Whole Home WiFi working in a usable state since purchase.

- What you're doing at the time you notice an issue (streaming audio/video, browsing websites)

- Streaming BBC Radio, or Play Music. They also say they are not connected when asked something. 

- Which disc you're connected to at the time (the main one next to the router or a Wi-Fi connected disc)

- This has happened on all discs.

- And finally, does the device show any error messages against the Wi-Fi or any connections

- No.

0 Ratings
stevenwross
Beginner
Message 22 of 168

BT Whole Home was a new purchase in Decemeber. Most devices work well (30 in total) but I have had persistent problems with 4 devices.

Device 1

OnePlus 5t Android mobile phone

Android 7.1.1

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful)

From day one. Circa Dec 23rd.

- What you're doing at the time you notice an issue (streaming audio/video, browsing websites)

Authentication issue. Incorrect password. Tries to connect dozens of times. Eventually does without changing settings.

- Which disc you're connected to at the time (the main one next to the router or a Wi-Fi connected disc)

Any disc

- And finally, does the device show any error messages against the Wi-Fi or any connections

Password authenticaion failure.

Devices 2 & 3

Sumsung TV's

?

Streaming video - connection drops after a period.

Connection lost if TV not been used. Wont reconnect without reapplying settings.

Tried multiple.

?

Device 4

Xiaomi Redmi 4X 

Android 6

Browsing

Any disc

Has wifi connection, but fails to resolve websites. Assigned a fixed IP address and alternative DNS address as workaround. No other device exhibits these issues and device works fine on multiple other WiFi networks.

Frankly I've spent far too much time already troubleshooting, resetting, rebooting and reading forums. I intend to return the device under Argos's 30 day returns policy.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 168

@stevenwross wrote:

Frankly I've spent far too much time already troubleshooting, resetting, rebooting and reading forums. I intend to return the device under Argos's 30 day returns policy.

I don't blame you.  The sad and frustrating thing is, these disks were rock solid before the last firmware update.  I hope BT get to the bottom of the problem as soon as possible.

0 Ratings
MangoMan2020
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 168

I hear you too, Strevenwross...and to be honest, I've reached the same conclusion as you. Mine will be going back for a 2nd time unless something happens very soon. I need to return whilst still in the no quibble period. A very dissapointing experience so far....and the thing is...even if an update does come out...can we trust in future updates? I've lost total confidence in the product.

0 Ratings
MintyTrebor
Beginner
Message 25 of 168

@stevenwross

I too had the same problem with the Oneplus 5t, but I worked with OnePlus to identify the issue through system logs etc, and they have fixed the issue in the latest official firmware version OOS 4.7.6. 

My wife has an s6, and also has problems. I have raised issues with samsung and engaged the xda dev community, and it turns out the s6 is struggling with many mesh networking solutions not just this one.

I am currently in discussions with a networking engineer at a university who is seeing s6 client issues on their campus mesh network. We are currently thinking the issue may be due to samsungs implementation of the 802.11v protocol which controls Band Steering, which may be caused by their recent implementation of a new security standard which does not allow the device to connect to an SSID with multiple/different MAC addresses (I think this is part of the KRACK solution). The university has found if they blacklist the s6 from the 802.11v band steering control, the problem goes away.

My thinking is that when the s6 switches nodes/bands it sees the SSID has more than one MAC and decides not to connect, causing the WIFI to drop. (I suspect this also causes the connection issues people are seeing running 2 non-mesh AP's with the same SSID)

These are just theories so I am not saying this is definitely the cause, but as Samsung is refusing to engage with us to resolve this issue, supposition is all we are left with...

Maybe if BT call them up and tell them they have a problem they might listen.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 168

This morning was terrible.  Devices either couldn't get on the wifi or could but didn't have internet connection.  Even though my phone said it was connected to the wifi, the BT app said it wasn't.  I had to go to each disk and turn the power off and back on again.

It is difficult working from home as the internet via the disks keeps dropping and stopping webex sessions or Skype for Business calls.

This used to be a fantastic product.  I feel guilty for having recommended it to so many people.

I'm not sure the problem is just with recent updates to some devices as my iPad hasn't been updated for months and yet it has the problem.

0 Ratings
MintyTrebor
Beginner
Message 27 of 168

Forgot to add. As a work around I used Tasker to monitor when the device disconnected from the network, and automatically toggled WIFI on/off to reconnect. I suspect the same process could be done with other similar apps (IFTT etc).
0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 28 of 168

Quick update for @Dan-O - here's something odd which might be relevant. 

I had to reboot the "main" disc and the router the other day. When it came back up again, all the discs apart from one in the Kitchen (which is connected via ethernet) are showing as "red" in the app. However they are all working and devices can clearly connect to them (but show as "offline" in the app)

What's interesting is that since this happened my Nest cameras and MacBook Pro connections have been completely stable - no dropouts at all! Of course I can't see what topology the discs are in (I've restarted them all and still they all show as error state) but clearly something has happened to stop the dropouts happening. Given the speeds I'm getting in various locations around the house I suspect the topology is odd with distant, poor quality hops being used, but apart from that it's completley stable.

Very odd indeed. 

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 168

Hi Mark,

I was having this problem, with my two Ethernet connected discs each creating their own whole home network, depending on which disc I was closest to the other showed as red, but everything connected to WiFi ok. I updated my router firmware, which enabled multicast, which solved the problem, as advised by Dan-O.
0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 30 of 168

Hi js25,

Wow what a top suggestion. I dimly recall disabling IGMP Snooping on my Asus router some time ago (I forget exactly waht problem it was causing). I enabled this again and then suddenly the app changed with the discs brielfy showing blue and then the whole thing going red saying "There is a problem with your network". Restarting the "non main" ethernet connected disc and now I can see all the discs and the topology again. 

A few minutes later, 2 of my Nest cameras dropped off the network (after having been stable for 2/3 days) even though the app is showing them connected with a signal strength of -60. Damn! So there appears to be some relationship between the ability for the discs to communicate their status with each other and the device disconnects. 

One step forward, two steps back! This is very frustrating.

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings