cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueOval
Beginner
Message 81 of 168

Re: Very close to returning my 2nd BT Whole Home WiFi...

Hi guys, a quick question if I may...

I have three Google Homes and two Chromecast Audios (not video), I use them to stream audio across three rooms at a time. I use a TP Link powerline access point system but have problems with reliability and drop outs, I put this down to the relatively cheap Access Point being unable to handle all that traffic flowing through it, and general wifi interference, even my laptop sometimes drops off for a few seconds before getting the connection back. Not a problem with web browsing, but a disaster for live audio streaming...

I'm looking to upgrade to something like the BT Whole Home, I only live in a flat, but the living room where the cable BB connection is has very solid walls that all but completely block wifi signal from my superhub in the rest of the flat. Hence I use the access points to get around the wall.

If I get the Whole Home, and once the latest firmware is out, will Google Home and Chromecast be able to work across a mesh network and reliably stream audio? Apparently Google claims that it doesn't work properly on mesh systems, but some people seem to be using them ok?

My other option is to try putting a really top end wifi router in the middle of the flat and use power line comms to get the broadband signal to it, perhaps with a central location, one wifi router will reach all corners of the flat and be better at handling the traffic than a cheap Access Point.

Dan - someone at BT must have tried this kit with the Chromecast by now, any chance of an inside scoop on whether it's up to it? 🙂

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 82 of 168

Hi all,

If you're having issues with Samsung Galaxy S6 devices showing the "authentication error" message - please check for updates on your smartphone. This issue is fixed in the latest S6 software.

It may take a few days for your device to get the update and potentially even longer if you're using a mobile operator variant of software (e.g. locked to EE, Vodafone, O2 etc).

0 Ratings
Tyler_Durden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 168

What's the latest on this issue? I currently have steering turned off which means my google home devices are rock solid bit it means my phone doesn't switch quickly between discs.
When's the fix coming?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 84 of 168

@Tyler_Durden

We're currently aiming to release the next firmware by the end of this month, including the changes to prevent the device instability.

trapdoor
Expert
Message 85 of 168

@Dan-O how will it be possible to update the firmware to WH systems which refuse to play nicely with the app?

Even after updating to the latest firmware, my WH system worked perfectly for several weeks, until one day I needed to reboot the master disc by powering down. Since then, I now continually get the ‘cannot connect’ Issue on the app, so am not sure how I’m ever going to get new firmware loaded. Even if it’s provided as a downloadable file, as the management web interface is also broken, I’m not sure it will be possible to load via that either.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 86 of 168

@trapdoor If you find you are unable to use the app to update, if you reboot your discs then go straight to the web interface firmware upgrade page, this will still allow you to update. The problem affecting the web interface should not prevent you upgrading following a reboot.

Dan-O
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 87 of 168

Hi all on this thread,

Just a quick update that the new firmware will be available next Monday (26th).

Please ensure your discs are either set to update automatically or check for updates on Tuesday.

Thanks all for the information you've provided.

Thanks,

Dan-O

spiderlane
Contributor
Message 88 of 168

Thanks for the update, Dan. 

Look forward to checking it out

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 89 of 168

Any chance of a change log for the firmware so we have an idea what the update is likely to resolve?

thanks.

0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 90 of 168

Will an app update be released to solve the slow and buggy app or will the firmware resolve this?
0 Ratings