cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
azeemazhar
Message 1 of 15

Very regular intermittent drop outs despite latest firmware

I am getting very regular intermitten dropouts on my whole home wifi.

I have 4 discs, two connectd nby ethernet to a switch; and two via wireless.

3-6 times a day the connection drops. Wifi via BT Whole Home remains but by riunning a ping test, I am unable to ping my router or the outside world. The only solution is to restart the network. (Occasionally, if I stop using the network, service will return 10 to 15 minutes later). Sometimes, the iOS Whole Home Wifi app will fail to connect during this fal mode. 

The internet is not down. I have also computer wirth a hardwired connection to my router, I can see the router respond to pings and the hardwired computer can access the internet.

Very difficult as I often work from home

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
tsr2
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Very regular intermittent drop outs despite latest firmware

Not "in spite of the latest firmware". It's because of the latest firmware. BT have broken it and it seems a fix will be some time coming. If it's a recent purchase return it to the shop and buy something with proper support.
0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

I also have been having problems recently, I have 4 discs in my Whole Home set up, they all worked flawlessly until recently, now I am getting all sorts of problems, dropping wifi, re starting, cutting out etc etc.

When is the next firmware update coming?

0 Ratings
azeemazhar
Message 4 of 15

I have been tracking this via a wifi analyser. My BtWholeHome wifi drops about 7-10 times per hour, for as much as 3-4 minutes a time, but often just for 25-30 seconds. 

However, it is enough to break things. Have bought a Netgear Orbi.  Seems to be doing better.

0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Hi

Same issue here. Almost impossible to work from home as keep getting dumped from Skype calls. How are you finding the orbi. Thinking of returning all my BT disks.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

BT do seem to have a real problem with this product with not enough resources able to fix it? It would be quicker to design a product from scratch or buy a competitors product a brand label it
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

You say that, I have just returned my Netgear Orbi for the same thing. The grass certainly aint greener.. with the netgear community having a thread demanding money back! Issues with Orbi have been ongoing for 5 months! Most Mesh systems seem to have issues at the moment..

0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Sorry to hear that. My orbi now up and running with two satellites. First 48 hours a nightmare. Then I switched the orbi to AP mode. Next 48 hours zero drop outs for me and zero complaints from the two resident teenagers. The last part alone has been worth it! Smiley Happy
0 Ratings
Chartwell99
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Problem Solved!

My WholeHome system worked brilliantly for 3 months until the recent firmware update - and then cratered. After discussion with the BT Helpline (0808 100 6116) I took the WholeHome disks back to the shop and swapped them for a  new set. I deleted the app from my phone to ensure that the firmware update would not be triggered - the update process is apparently driven by the app. I installed the new ones without using the app - that works just fine if you just plug them in one at a time and allow them to inter-connect on their own.

You can see what the disks are doing by logging into Mybtdevice.home using the admin password from the disks. That lets you do most of the stuff covered by the app but allows you to avoid the firmware update.

Hey presto - everything is working perfectly just as it did before the firmware update.

Why on earth doesn't BT just roll back the update? I understand it can't undo the update but ir could easily issue a new version of the firmware which was identical to the old one.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

@Chartwell99 Because some of us are better off with the new firmware !

0 Ratings