cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevieT678
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

WHW 3 disc and Hub6, poor WiFi

After getting fed up with poor WiFi coverage with the Hub6 for ages, I decided to try the WHW discs. Purchased myself I might add....

Trying to deal with customer services a lot of the time just isn't worth the hassle.

So 3 discs installed, all within about 15-20 feet of each other in separate rooms, bungalow....and as I type, 2 of the discs are sitting orange. Sometimes they will be blue though.

Now there is signal.....but orange hardly inspires confidence it's working well.

Main wired ethernet disc is in the middle, with one to either side.

Even the Hub6, WiFi would barely extend more than 20ft from the router itself, and even fairly close by when sitting on the toilet as you do....signal would repeatedly drop out.

Why is the WiFi so **bleep**, when they claim they guarantee good WiFi in an entire house ? And even here, it's not great with 3 discs and that's just the front of the bungalow.

There's not even a chance of getting WiFi signal at the very rear and if I moved a disc to try, then the discs at the front would never get a signal from the first main disc.

So Hub6 and 3 discs are still active, although I changed the SSID of the main Hub6 to something different so I have 2 networks to try and give better coverage all round. 3 discs at the front renamed to the normal network SSID I've used for ages to save updating all the various devices,  and Hub6 still covering the rear of the house....well, 2 rooms at the rear, no chance for the further rooms.

Is their whole house coverage guarantee for houses the size of doll houses ?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
DavidM
Message 2 of 4

Re: WHW 3 disc and Hub6, poor WiFi

Hi @StevieT678 and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having a few problems with the connectivity of the discs. Take a look at BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation for help and tips on getting a better connection.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
StevieT678
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, but not really a lot of useful information there.

If the discs have to be right beside each other....it kinda defeats the purpose ? Is their range really as low as 15feet or so for a good signal ? basically same room only ? By that account, I'd probably need at least 6 discs for an average size bungalow. Which is a bit crazy ?

If I did need to add more discs....the add on discs seem to be around £60-70 each ? Yet 3 disc set is £75 ?

And wiring ethernet cables to them whilst doable for one of the current discs without another switch....again, kinda defeats the purpose of establishing a WiFi install ? If they all end up needing wired.

Why at different times of the day will they be blue, or orange ? Nothing has moved, so what is affecting the signal ?

Even strangely a few times, a wired LAN Router/AP I have installed in the garage appears in the WHW app as a wired device linked to the first wired mesh disc, which seems odd.  ( not a problem...just odd )

0 Ratings
StevieT678
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

So no real answers or help...

I've tried wiring a cable to two of the discs to see if that helps sort the poor connection orange LED.

One disc ( Disc 3 ) shows "excellent" connection...it is wired. Strangely devices seem to like this disc more now even if they are extremely far away.

The next and original wired disc, Disc 1 only shows a "good connection"....and is wired. 

The third and so far unwired shows a good connection, although almost nothing ever seems to connect to it, even though a couple of devices are quite close, and you'd think it would be the sensible disc to use.

Although one external WiFI CCTV camera that is very close to Disc 2, quite close to Disc 1...now remains unconnected to any discs ( It had mostly connected to the original wired disc, Disc 1 )

So why are devices choosing one disc over another, even if they are bypassing much closer discs ? Surely they should seek out the strongest signal ? Isn't that the point of "Mesh" ?

0 Ratings