cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SilverBirch66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

What is my BT wifi Disc actually connected to?

Go to solution

I previously had a Virgin router but because the wifi was so poor especially on 2.4 GHz, I invested in BT Whole Home discs.  I bought 3 white discs - one was connected to the router (which I'll refer to as the master white disc) and two others in different locations within this fairly large house and I was very happy with the wifi coverage.

Recently, I switched providers back to BT and have a Smart Hub 2.  Since all my devices around the house were connectied to the discs, I was able to just plug the existing master disc into the new router without having to change any of my device's connectivity.  So far so good.

I have recently been doing a lot of video conferencing due to the covid situation and spend a lot of time in a small outbuilding so that I don't get disturbed.  This outbuilding is close to my kitchen so I moved a disc from its position in the lounge to the kitchen so that I was as close to the disc as I could be for best video conferencing experience.  Everything working fine.

Because I was moving the disc between the lounge and the kitchen, my son offered me a black BT wifi disc that he wasn't using to use in the lounge.

I first tried following the instructions to add this new black disc to my network but my app could not find it.  My existing master wifi white disc is plugged into port 4 of my hub and the other 2 white discs and all the devices connected to them show up on my Smart Hub manager as connected to port 4 which makes sense.  But the black disc was showing up in the manager as a connected wireless device so I assumed it was connecting to the hub wifi which I wasn't using.

So, I turned off wifi in the router and tried to go through the process of reinstalling the black disc by connecting it via ethernet to a white disc.  After this my app still couldn't find it but it was still showing as a connected wireless device. 

I assumed the black disc was acting as a wifi booster rather than being a part of the mesh network but I wondered what the black disc  was actually connecting to.  I disconnected the ethernet connection to the master white disc and so it and the other two white discs showed red led as expected but the black disc still showed steady blue led and the Hub Manager still showed it was connected. 

In case the black disc showed as being connected when it wasn't really, I connected a device by ethernet into the black disc and both the device showed that it was connected to the internet and the Hub manager also showed that this device was connected to the black connected disc.

So I come now to my question - if the hub wifi is turned off and the master white disc is turned off which in turn disconnects the other 2 white discs, what is my black disc actually connecting to?  Logic tells me it should be disconnected.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
SilverBirch66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: What is my BT wifi Disc actually connected to?

Go to solution

Could it be connected to the  BT WiFi hotspot? - I found even with wifi turned off in the hub, I could still connect my phone to BT wifi - so this could be what the black wifi disc is connecting to.   I've since tried turning off the white discs plus turning off wifi in the hub and connecting a printer by ethernet to the black disc and was able to print through the network.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

So, I turned off wifi in the router and tried to go through the process of reinstalling the black disc by connecting it via ethernet to a white disc

The black disc won't mesh with the white ones, it will only connect to the Smarthub2 wireless channels which you have switched off. Don't believe the hub manager when it says the back disc is connected, it's lying.

I've never tried using both the black and white discs on the same network at the same time, I'd be interested in hearing if you get it to work.

You will need to turn the SH2 wifi back on and use the MyBT app to set the black disc up (using the wifi password for the SH2)

0 Ratings
SilverBirch66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hi V Meldrew - the black disc is connected even though the SH2 wifi is off and with the white discs disconnected.  I connected a non-wifi printer to the black disc with ethernet cable and was able to print to it ok through the network using a PC that was connected to the SH2 via ethernet cable.  I can only assume that it paired up with the BT WiFi hotspot feature of the SH2.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Both bands on the SH2 can be switched on/off independently of each other, are you sure you switched them both off

0 Ratings
SilverBirch66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Yes, both bands are off.

Image at: https://gyazo.com/3c99cca345729cbe82a13b2cfe198a26

As you can see from this image, both bands are off and yet there is a wireless device connected, which is the black disc.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I see it but, Guess what,      I don't beleeeeeeeeeive it!  🙂   (yeah OK, so I suppose that was a bit obvious)

Open the MyBT app

Tap the three dots bottom right (more)

Tap "Your Wi-Fi Network"

What devices does it say are connected?

0 Ratings
SilverBirch66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

According  to the MyBT app the only connected wireless device is the black disc. 

Since the white disc is connected to the hub by ethernet cable all my other wireless devices which are connected to the white discs show up as being connected by ethernet to the same port as the white disc.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I think your question should be more 'How' than 'What'

I just turned both bands of my SH2 off (using an ethernet connection) and, as you would expect, lost all wireless connections.

It would seem that 'What' is your SH2, but I haven't got the foggiest 'How'. Maybe the software's screwed up, have you tried a factory reset?

0 Ratings
SilverBirch66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I did do a factory reset on the black disc before connecting it to my network but not on the SH2 which is just a couple weeks out of the box.

See if your mobile phone still sees the BT Wifi hot spot even when you have both wifi bands turned off on the SH2.

I suspect that the public accessible hot spot stays on and that this is what the black disc has paired with.

But if this is the case it still doesn't explain how with both bands turned off that the SH2 still sees the black disc as connected and a non-wifi printer connected by ethernet cable into the back of the black disc that I can still print through the network using a PC connected by cable to the SH2. 

Does this raise any security issues?

0 Ratings