Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trufflemode
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Whole Home WIFI - Historic Device on New Install

Go to solution

Hello All, wonder if you can help me with an unknown device question

We set up WH for the first time this last week, and immediately found an offline device in the Devices tab on the app - last seen on the 12th of July 2018!

Thinking the discs were from a bad refurb, we asked for a replacement (and I uninstalled the app for good measure).

After receiving and setting up a new pack of discs (and reinstalling the app), finding no unknown historic devices this time, everything seemed well. A couple of days later, the app is now showing an unknown device, from 12th July 2018, with a completely different mac address

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or is it a known issue perhaps? (I couldnt see anything on searching)

Cheers

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Whole Home WIFI - Historic Device on New Install

Go to solution
Where was your the whole home system purchased from ?
0 Ratings
trufflemode
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

We bought them from Currys PC World

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
Have you the latest firmware installed, if yes then power reset the discs and see if it continues. i have seen devices missing but not additional ones listed...
trufflemode
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks,

the firmware is indeed up to date on the new discs, and was up to date before the unknown (last seen 2018) device appeared

I dont think its specific to the firmware, because on the original discs, the original 2018 unknown device was there despite firmware not being up to date

I have blocked the device and its still showing as last seen 12th July 2018, so its not been active on the network - at least not whilst we have had it.

We checked with Currys to confirm the replacement set was new and not a refurb, and given two different unknown devices appeared on two different sets of Whole Home, its seems highly unlikely both were returns/refurbs

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

If you enter the MAC address here , you will be able to see the manufacturer which may give you a clue to the device.

trufflemode
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I checked both Mac addresses

the unknown device on my current WH is from the ARRIS group, think they are involved in network equipment

the unknown device on the original WH is from Realtek, so similar equipment different company

I’m not sure what to make of it, very strange

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I wonder if they were just devices they used for testing before they left the factory.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Do you have any Ethernet switches or powerline adaptors or any Internet/wireless connected devices that you may have forgotten about such as CCTV camera or Ring door bell etc.

Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Could it possibly be an historic defunct device the name of which remains on your computer?

Try Device Manager / View / Select Devices by Container - to see whether the offending item is listed.

You could also click on the show hidden devices.

I mention this because an old printer, long since taken to the tip was listed along with our current printer. I removed the defunct printer but, for the life of me, I cannot remember how!!