I woke up this morning to an email from BT advertising their new Whole Home Wi-Fi 6 discs.
I have the Fibre 900 package and changed to a third party router as the Smart Hub 2 wasn’t providing full speeds over Wi-Fi & also the issue of things not working properly using the 2.4ghz signal.
Would these discs really make much of a difference if they still need the Smart Hub 2 to connect to since that’s only Wi-Fi 5? I’d have thought a new hub would’ve been of more use to people rather than the discs?
Emailed too, @OneManTagTeam.
- And are these compatible with the previous version disc - Black (not white)?
- Is there a performance guarantee so I can just pop them back if hype outweighed by underwhelming performance?
- I'd like to see a video walkthrough of the app/UI to see how managing device pausing/multi device auto pausing and device identification is handled
- what is the exact range enhancement against the current Black discs (so % change)?
- The cost is eye watering (option is an extra 20£ for 20 months onto the bill for 3x); finally a guest network, a disgraceful omission by BT, totally unacceptable from the tech team (current Black discs)
I'm an ex900 down to 500 because 900 performance was slow
@OneManTagTeam this looks like the Wholehome setup where one disc is physically connected next to the router and the router Wi-fi is turned off rather than Complete Wi-fi where none of the disks need to be physically connected and the router Wi-fi stays on to create a single network.
Not sure if the mail contained a discount but it looks expensive for a 3 pack, typically the BT discs plummet in price plus early adopters often have a turbulent time until things settle down,
If you’ve got Wi-fi 6 clients close to a disc they should benefit but for now I’d look elsewhere (Orbi, Asus etc.) or wait till the reviews come in. I’m on Fibre900 too, I also have a Wi-fi 6 network and for the cost I cannot say it’s really been worth it as my UDM and RBK53s are pretty close.
I wonder if this is an indication the next Smarthub is now on its way….:)
BT don’t have a Wi-fi-router yet, but they claim these discs can be used with any router. It would have been much better if BT had released a wifi6 capable smart hub. Some people are stuck with using smarthub 2 ( people with digital voice)
Just been on the Phone to BT "Technical help department" who informed me that these should work perfectly with smart Hub 2 and give us WIFI 6 coverage.
Frankly, I am inclined not to believe them as the first question he asked me was what is WIFi 6?
Yes I got 5 disks
Changed from my WH white disks set up thinking i was upgrading
Lots of rebooting and red/flashing lights. They stay up some times 5-6 days then reboot 3-4 times a day
Hoping new software will sort it out
wish i had stayed with my old WH disks