Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 27

Re: Whole Home Wi-Fi - Master disk resetting every few hours

Go to solution

Hi @SpeedleElite

Sorry that you have a fault with your Whole Home Wifi system. You would be best to contact the product helpdesk on: 0808 100 6116 (Mon to Fri 9am to 5.30pm and Sat 9am to 2pm) Or you can drop them an email: btconnectedhome@bt.com

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

Hi SpeedleElite,

Interesting that you are having the same problem. Are you also on Virgin?

An update from here - I have spoken to our landlord re putting in a dedicated Ethernet edge router and another BT disc or two for them in their house next door so the Virgin box would act solely as a modem. They are less than keen unfortunately.

I  the meantime, our BT Whole Home system remains unstable. We now have an average uptime of 18 hours between resets.

My original question to the forum remains please: What specific conditions in technical terms trigger a Master Disc reset as observed here? 

SpeedlElite - perhaps you could let us know if you resolve this? Thanks in advance...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

Hey,

not on virgin I’m  on BT, using BT kit all the way.

I doubt your issue will be the router, even if I pull my   Internet connection the Wi-Fi will stay up albeit with no internet connection. Until the firmware update was app lied I had 2 solid years with zero issues.

seems the master disc is unable to manage 24 hours uptime anymore. Tempted to do a complete factory reset on the whole lot but looking on google at similar issues that never seems to help...

again all the slave discs, no resets all running fine. Nothing in the logs to indicate a problem either. It’s like a momentary power blip...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks - interesting to hear from you. I had thought about a power glitch or hardware fault which is why I tried swapping the discs over and changing the PSUs. No luck...

The problem is NOT dependent on:

- number of devices connected
- download bandwidth in use
- time of day
- ambient temperature

As you say, the two satellite discs remain up and usually reconnect themselves after the master disc has finished resetting. I would have thought any mains glitch would be house wide not just in our kitchen. As we bought the discs quite recently I have only tried the most recent two firmware releases so can't comment on that.

It's quite frustrating when the connection goes down in a video call or game. The Whole Home system otherwise seems so promising...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution
I would recommend that you update the firmware to the latest version of the stability was improved. If you are having problems with the latest build. Factory reset after updating and re install. Checking all the discs have taken on the firmware. 11 build02
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

The firmware update is sadly what started my stability issues.

However in the interest of troubleshooting in the hope it will help others I've now done the following;

1.performed a factory reset on all 3 discs

2. updated all 3 discs to the latest offcial FW again

3.performed a second factory rest of all discs

4.Setup the network from scratch using web interface

I also wiped the device list in the web interface before step 1.

Will see if the master disc can make it 24 hours...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution
Spoke to soon, 7 hours in, complete reboot of the master disc...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution
Question What Hub are you using BT and due you have Smart Setup enabled, if so please disable it.
See : https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

if yes , turned off its time to contact the help-desk with some logs open the app > Help > Email > Share this should open the email app to send to the BT help-desk.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

I have also tried a factory reset and allowed the firmware to auto-upgrade. This time I'm adopting the policy of changing as few settings as possible from the defaults to introduce as few opportunities for untested bugs to be introduced as I can. So far the system is behaving as it should and has been up for 16 hours. I'll let you know how it goes over the coming days.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

I'm not using a SmartHub I'm Still using a BT Openreach Huawei HG612 VDSL / FTTC Fibre Modem connected to the Master Disc.

The Discs themselves are the original Hardware 01 versions

Will log a call with BT

0 Ratings