Interesting that you are having the same problem. Are you also on Virgin?
An update from here - I have spoken to our landlord re putting in a dedicated Ethernet edge router and another BT disc or two for them in their house next door so the Virgin box would act solely as a modem. They are less than keen unfortunately.
I the meantime, our BT Whole Home system remains unstable. We now have an average uptime of 18 hours between resets.
My original question to the forum remains please: What specific conditions in technical terms trigger a Master Disc reset as observed here?
SpeedlElite - perhaps you could let us know if you resolve this? Thanks in advance...
not on virgin I’m on BT, using BT kit all the way.
I doubt your issue will be the router, even if I pull my Internet connection the Wi-Fi will stay up albeit with no internet connection. Until the firmware update was app lied I had 2 solid years with zero issues.
seems the master disc is unable to manage 24 hours uptime anymore. Tempted to do a complete factory reset on the whole lot but looking on google at similar issues that never seems to help...
again all the slave discs, no resets all running fine. Nothing in the logs to indicate a problem either. It’s like a momentary power blip...
Thanks - interesting to hear from you. I had thought about a power glitch or hardware fault which is why I tried swapping the discs over and changing the PSUs. No luck...
The problem is NOT dependent on:
- number of devices connected
- download bandwidth in use
- time of day
- ambient temperature
As you say, the two satellite discs remain up and usually reconnect themselves after the master disc has finished resetting. I would have thought any mains glitch would be house wide not just in our kitchen. As we bought the discs quite recently I have only tried the most recent two firmware releases so can't comment on that.
It's quite frustrating when the connection goes down in a video call or game. The Whole Home system otherwise seems so promising...
The firmware update is sadly what started my stability issues.
However in the interest of troubleshooting in the hope it will help others I've now done the following;
1.performed a factory reset on all 3 discs
2. updated all 3 discs to the latest offcial FW again
3.performed a second factory rest of all discs
4.Setup the network from scratch using web interface
I also wiped the device list in the web interface before step 1.
Will see if the master disc can make it 24 hours...
I have also tried a factory reset and allowed the firmware to auto-upgrade. This time I'm adopting the policy of changing as few settings as possible from the defaults to introduce as few opportunities for untested bugs to be introduced as I can. So far the system is behaving as it should and has been up for 16 hours. I'll let you know how it goes over the coming days.
I'm not using a SmartHub I'm Still using a BT Openreach Huawei HG612 VDSL / FTTC Fibre Modem connected to the Master Disc.
The Discs themselves are the original Hardware 01 versions
Will log a call with BT