Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 27

Re: Whole Home Wi-Fi - Master disk resetting every few hours

Go to solution
But that's Modem only, I think normally it has a HUB/Router?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

Hi @JM101 @SpeedleElite 

Your issues sound very strange and we haven't seen them before so really keen to investigate.

Please can you email the helpdesk at btconnectedhome@bt.com and log a case so it can be passed onto the technical team? Then I can take a look into it in more detail and potentially contact you directly to help get to the bottom of what's happening.

Stay safe & keep well,

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks Dan - I'll send an email ASAP.

After the full factory reset of the Whole Home system as described above I've had sequential uptimes to date of 24h, 35h, 10h and 10h. Still unstable then unfortunately.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

A quick update from here. Five days ago I installed a 12v mini UPS to power the master disc in case mains power brownouts were causing the problem. Since then, the system has been stable with no resets. I'm using the default configuration with the latest firmware. No extra router etc was needed, although a better quality Cat 6 cable to the Virgin Hub 3 seems to have helped.

I'm sufficiently confident in  the Whole Home system now that I am about to order an additional disc. I'll continue to monitor it but so far it's looking good thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

Hi JM,

I have exactly the same problem as described by you. My three weeks old BT Whole Home Premium three disks system runs firmware SGAB203010, the primary disk is connected via a CAT 8 ethernet cable to  a Virgin hub 3.0 and the RSSI between disks is around -60 or better.

Since new, I had a typical resetting time of about 6 to 12 hours. I did twice a factory reset in the past week, but no change in the up time interval.

Now, if the problem is related to mains instability as you propose, why  would this affect exclusively at the primary disk?

BTW, which 12v mini UPS did you get?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

Hi DE,

I can't definitely explain why the power problem affects only the master disc. Some speculation:

- maybe there's something local on the kitchen mains supply that's causing interference
- maybe the additional power drain of running the master disc functions (including the ethernet port) makes it more sensitive to power fluctuations
- maybe there is some physical incompatibility between the Hub 3 and the master disc (eg a voltage difference on the ethernet cable) and the mini UPS is helping to isolate it

I should add that the landlord has noted that there have been problems with mains fluctuations in the house in the past.

In your case though I have read that the Premium system's DHCP is incompatible with the Hub 3 DHCP and this causes resets. BT are apparently aware and planning a future firmware fix. In my setup (First Gen Whole Home, not Premium) the system acts only as a Wi-Fi  access point so doesn't have this problem. 

The mini 12v UPS is just a fairly cheap one from Amazon - something called an ILEPO GM312 if you want to try it. We now have six days uptime with no resets so here's hoping...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

Just to say, our Whole Home system has been stable for 21 days now with no resets so I'm going to mark this one as 'solved'. Thanks for your help. JM.