cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Whole Home Wi-Fi guest problem

Hi, The guest thing on the Whole Home Wi-Fi is turned on and can't find out how to turn it off. The phone app says it is off and if we try to turn it on it insists on us entering ridiculously long passwords then won't save them and we do not want a password on the guest connection, just want to be able to turn it on and off.

The discs appear to have latest firmware on, up dated 18 June 2020, not sure about phone app.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whole Home Wi-Fi guest problem

If you don’t want a password, are you changing the security mode to “none” ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes, set it to none in the web interface but the app still asks for one to be entered and the app indicates the guest network is off but all other devices, including the phone the app is on, see it as an open connection.

I have tried resetting the system but no difference so have had to disable the guest network from the web interface.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

"You must create a password to enable your Guest Wi-Fi Network. And you can also choose a new name for your Guest Wi-Fi, which will be displayed when guests are searching for a wi-fi network to connect to."

See "Whats a Guest network and how do I set it up?

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64211#q3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I think the app is giving incorrect information. I've just created an "open" guest network (no password) and been able to connect and use it sucessfully from multiple devices. All the time the app told me it had a password set (which defaults to the main SSID password btw) but I was never prompted for it and the SSID showed as "open" on my devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

For clarity, I did this using the web GUI. The app doesn't give you the same flexibility.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Tried both types of password in the GUI but can't get an 'open' guest and still can't turn it on and off from the app so think it will just stay disabled. If it has to be a complex, BT approved password it makes it far from user-friendly.

0 Ratings