cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 50

Re: Whole Home Wi-Fi v1.02.12 build02 (FR12) Early Adopter Release

If the disc is only 1 Mtr away why not try using the Ethernet port ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 50

Hi Inajr02

It's a good suggestion however the XBOX was just an example, I also get the same issue with my Samsung TVs.  I could connect them all up to wires but then that negates the purpose of the home WIFI.  Looking at the WIFI analyzer I see the disk has a strong signal so its annoying to see devices in the APP with such a poor signal -83.

Screenshot_20200519-165731.jpgScreenshot_20200519-165233.jpg

I have read many posts where a device does not connect to the nearest disk which for a static device it can be very frustrating.  My post was to inform other owners that the new firmware did not cause me any issues but nor did it resolve any either.

I would like to see BT add a function to the WIFI device to allow me to attach a device to a disk, this is available in other vendor devices so I am surprised there is so much resistance or issue with doing this.    

Thanks for your suggestion.

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 50

I am sure the developers are looking to make devices sticky to one disc ( customer managed) The discs will try to steer devices automatically to the best disc but there are several factors that may explain why a device is not connected to what would seem the best disc:

1. Device has a good signal even though it's not the closest - The Whole Home Wi-Fi system avoids unnecessarily disrupting your device's connection when it doesn't really need to, so if the signal is good (generally -70dBm or better) steering wouldn't offer much benefit
  2. Device is streaming/generating a lot of network traffic - The WHW system avoids steering a device if it is generating a lot of network traffic so try leaving it connected and idle before using any services
  3. Some devices are "sticky" and won't move even when requested by the discs - Some devices remember which disc they connected to when you first set them up and will always connect to this specific disc, no matter how many times the WHW system tries to steer them. 

@Dan-O  below should see this post and I am sure the Xbox problem is being investigated. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 14 of 50

Hi @Welchma 

We are certainly looking at features like that for future and more control over devices but be aware there are still some devices that won't connect to a specific disc, even if the disc only allows it onto one, as some devices don't store the SSID (the network name like BTWholeHome-XXX) they actually try to connect to a specific BSSID (MAC of a specific disc).

With such a low signal the Whole Home will be trying to steer it. If you send your logs via the app we can take a look to see why its not moving.

Dan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 50

If Dan O is looking to add extra features one that I would like is stop the Primary Disk connecting to any devices I have star topology from the Hallway which is generally clear of devices, but from time to time devices connect and reduce performance.  For example a phone on 2.4ghz has connected when there is another closer disk.

Also assigning devices to disks would be really useful.  I have two Yamaha 2.4ghz speakers in the lounge, where there is a disk less than 3 meters away from each, and these speakers operate in stereo with each other.  However, one speaker is connecting to the disk in the study in the room above.  Surely, it would be better for the system if both speakers working in stereo in the same room connected to the same disk in the lounge.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 50

Hi Roger

I agree more control of device to disk allocation would be fabulous. Looking at Dan's previous post I now understand why it's not as simple as I first thought.  If the device uses the MAC instead of the SID then this causes issues in a network mesh. I would settle for making my device use a fixed IP and put a simple firewall on each disk to control access 🙂

As for your issue I would suggest switching off the study disk. Restart the speakers so they both connect to the local disk.  Then login to http://mybtdevice.home.

Disable steering for each device. Then switch on study disk.

This works for my Samsung TVs which never get switched off (on standby).

Hope this helps Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 50

My parental controls have been playing up for a while so tried the early adopter. Still the same issue. 

I find that the bedtime routine has worked but doesn’t seem to have turned Wi-Fi on the devices by the morning. So the devices that were not in scope are fine. The devices that were affected by the routine are off still. The app is not connecting (can’t connect from a pc either) and needs a reboot to restore the Wi-Fi and also to be able to access the discs. Really frustrating. 

I have resorted to disabling the option and using the router parental control instead. Any suggestions before accepting the firmware is just no good? 

For me the unable to connect issue remains and seems to be affected by the device groups and pausing Wi-Fi. 

All devices are named in the app. Router assigns the ip addresses and some are reserved in the router too. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 50

I was reviewing this forum for issues similar to what I've recently reported in a thread (https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BTWH-upgrade-to-v1-02-11-build02/td-p/2048470) where I just took the plunge and upgraded my BTWH firmware (6 disc setup, all connected via Ethernet).

I just noticed this here - "One of the symptoms of this issue was blank pages on the Web Interface - this is resolved in this new release."

I am suffering from this, and I cannot get around it. I also cannot seem to opt in to this special release - I describe in my thread how when I press Save on the Early Adopter option after changing it to Enabled, it says - "sync earla dopter config msg send error" (sic) in a browser popup.

Am I in a Catch-22? I cannot see the screens, I cannot roll back, I cannot (yet) go to a release where this may be fixed.

Any help would be appreciated on this one. Once bitten twice shy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 50

What version of firmware has the discs currently?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 50

Hi,

They've just gone to v1.02.11 build02.

0 Ratings