cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
out-of-ideas
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Whole Home Wi-fi issue

Hi, I have a new Whole Home system which I have setup yesterday, all went well and according to instructions. I have four discs and they are all connecting and working fine for apple devices, HP laptops, amazon alexa devices, you name it. My problem came when I tried to connect my Lenovo ideapad laptop to the network. The laptop just doesn't see the Whole Home wifi signal at all, its not on the available networks so I can't connect to it.

Any ideas would be very welcome....I realsie that this may be  an issue with my laptop, but it sees all of the other wi-fi networks in the house and connects to them no problem. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whole Home Wi-fi issue

Hi, weird one indeed.

Have you left your whole home discs to their default settings? Or did you by any chance change the network name to that of your Hub's?

Other suggestion if you haven't tried already is to restart your network (use the Restart function under Settings in the whole home app). Also restart your laptop.

Finally, make sure your laptop has all its drivers up to date.

Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
spoonfed
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Although not specifically related to your issue..

I had an Asus Eeebook that completely lost WiFi after upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, no amount of changing drivers or repairing the install or changing the WiFi network could fix it.

So I bought a TP-Link nano usb wifi adapter for £7 which now lives permanently wasting a usb socket on the netbook.

WiFi works great, and it allowed me to move on to other disappointments. One day I'll try to get the built in wifi working, maybe.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
out-of-ideas
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks spoonfed, that may be what I will have to do if it turns out that the wifi adapter is at fault, I will bear this in mind if I can't isolate the problem. Cheers.
0 Ratings
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@out-of-ideaswrote:

My problem came when I tried to connect my Lenovo ideapad laptop to the network. The laptop just doesn't see the Whole Home wifi signal at all, its not on the available networks so I can't connect to it.

If your Lenovo connected to the network without problem BEFORE your installed the Whole Home Wifi, then you might try entering the wifi manually on the Lenovo. From the net:

Manually connecting to a wireless network using a Windows-based computer
  1. Press the Windows key + D on your keyboard to show the Desktop. ...
  2. Click Set up a new connection or network.
  3. Enter the details of the wireless network you want to connect to then, click Next.
  4. Click Close.
  5. Click Change connection settings

I am no expert when it comes to networks but that doesn't stop me trying to solve problems before, inevitably, I have to turn to the guys on the BT Forum!

0 Ratings
out-of-ideas
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi BrunoN, no I’ve left the network name as the default just changed the password. I’ve restarted the laptop and also restarted the WiFi adapter on its own. Also check drivers, which are the latest ones. I haven’t restarted the network after I ding this issue, but had only just set it up. The latest firmware has not yet downloaded to the disks to be fair so I will try that.
0 Ratings
out-of-ideas
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Good idea Carlusha, I will give that a try later today. 👍
0 Ratings