cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AjayK46
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Whole Home WiFi Pre Purchase enquiry

I am considering purchasing the BT Whole Home WiFi kit but have some questions.

I see that the first disk has to be connected by ethernet cable to my existing BT Home Hub 5. It seems pointless having it right next to the hub when the WiFi is perfect in that area coming from the hub itself. Could you run a long ethernet cable from the hub to the first disk and position say in an adjacent room?

Muich appreciate help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whole Home WiFi Pre Purchase enquiry

Yes

0 Ratings
AjayK46
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thank you - Would I still get the seamless transition of signal from both the Hub 5 and the disks? Would they all be using the same network / SSID?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I don't believe so, which is why most people turn off the wifi on the hub and just use the mesh. Don't confuse having the same SSID as providing seamless transition.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 5 of 7

@AjayK46wrote:

Thank you - Would I still get the seamless transition of signal from both the Hub 5 and the disks? Would they all be using the same network / SSID?

Hi @AjayK46

This is why the first disc needs to be connected to your router via Ethernet - effectively replacing the Wi-Fi on your router. The other discs then connect and create the stronger signal around your home. If you used your existing Wi-Fi, the Whole Home Wi-Fi cannot influence or manage how your devices connect (which disc/band) so all devices should use the new network/SSID and not your old one. This will then allow them to move seamlessly between each disc as you move around the house.

Dan-O

BT Device ExpertDan O
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
AjayK46
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thank you so much for this explanation. So are the 3 disks sufficient to fully cover a small sized two bedroom property on two floors?

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 7

@AjayK46

Yes I would expect so, they should cover an average 3 bedroom 2 storey house easily. If you have very thick walls or foil backed plasterboard this can affect the performance and require more discs to cover effectively.

Dan-O

BT Device ExpertDan O
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings