cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Whole Home WiFi Sonos problem

I have recently installed a 3 disc whole home WiFi. It has really sorted out dead spots. However, Sonos does not like the new WiFi. I have three Sonos wireless boxes and we have two mobile phones we use to select music through the Sonos boxes. Frequently, the Sonos boxes seem to disappear. What seems to happen is that the decide that another BT WiFi disc gives a better signal. When the Sonos box connects to the other BT disc, the Sonos application either doesn't see the Sonos at all or there is some sort of communication issue and nothing plays. The work around seems to be to walk around the house with my phone until the Sonos box is "discovered" again. Can I force the Sonos boxes to stay on the closest BT disc?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Whole Home WiFi Sonos problem

Have you reconfigured the Sonos Mesh System? In the Sonos app (I'm on iPhone, but probably similar on Android), connect one of the Sonos speakers via ethernet to the router (temporarily for setup purposes) and go to Sonos App>More>Settings>Advanced Settings>Wireless Setup, and follow the instructions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I haven't done that (actually, I had no idea it was an option). I will give it a go and report back . Thanks for the tip.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

It's something I've had to do every time I've got a new router or made any changes to my network (recently installed BT Complete WiFi, and before that Whole Home WiFi) and had to go through the process each time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Ok. I followed the Sonos instructions. Guess I will see over the next few days. Will keep you posted!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Some further info here - https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Also some suggestions to plug one of your Sonos devices to the router permanently, this will put devices into a Sonos mesh, rather than using BT WH, however either should work:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/bt-whole-home-6786944

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I thought that my problem was fixed, but today I was back to square one. It looks like the two Sonos devices connected to one of the discs were visible in one part of the house and the other Sonos connected to another disc was visible in another part of the house. At one point, I could see all three Sonos devices on my phone, but I couldn't select all three in the same group. I switched off the offending sonos. When I switched it back in, all was well.
I might give the wired Sonos option mentioned in a previous post a go.....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I have switched to the wired Sonos setup, and that works fine. This means I have a permanent Ethernet cable connected to one of my Sonos devices... Not ideal for everyone, but it works for me. I would be happy to try something to flip back to my BT while home setup, but for the moment it looks like the 3 disc setup I have is too much for my 4 Sonos devices to play nicely.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I had similar issues with sonos, in the end I bought a 2nd hand sonos bridge from ebay for £10 and left that plugged in to the router. It acts as the base for sonos mesh and solved all the problems. Saved having a speaker hard wired - in my case the router is in a cupboard.
0 Ratings