cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trapdoor
Expert
Message 171 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Well, this firmware is typical BT crud, just like the SmartHub was!

It’s causing all sorts of issues for my alarm system because for some reason, even though it’s set as disabled, my discs are going off and checking for firmware and just before they do this, you get a ‘Leave Topology’ entry in the log ... when they do this, devices get bombed off and it looks like all discs are doing this at about the same time so for about 5 minutes, my WiFi is down.

Came home this evening, my alarm system had a communications fault showing, 06:47 and it requires an engineer reset to clear. Checked my router and no broadband issue so checked the WH logs and sure enough, at exactly the time my alarm threw a fault, the WH system showed disks as ‘Leave Topology’.

Why when I have auto update switched off are the disks still going off on their own and checking for an update? Clearly each iteration of this firmware introduces several new faults for each reported one rectified. Is this some sort of job creation scheme for the developers or is there no proper testing being done?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Deryman
Contributor
Message 172 of 1,165

Judging by the recent posts I am in for trouble. So far only symptom i’ve noticed is the app cannot connect and the web interface is back to having blank pages/unresponsive. What appalling quality and service from BT.  Whether its software or a  hardware problem BT clearly do not have the skills to fix this so I’m not holding my breath for a solution.

0 Ratings
dazzlerm
Beginner
Message 173 of 1,165

I’m afraid I’m another one that’s been having nothing but problems since the firmware upgrade. Discs have been going offline, devices aren’t connecting, having to reboot the discs a few times every day. Everything had been fine for months before this.
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 174 of 1,165

@Dan-O You seemed to have gone silent, Can BT offer a response

I am going to log a call with the Helpdesk and attach logs (although they say "we are not BT") Who are they ?

My only issues are AP Steering does not work, I am not bothered as devices work fine with this option Disabled

I seem to have entries in the Log that state the discs are saying LED set Dim to Dim. Is this a loss of connection ? , I do not see this myself often as it usually sorts itself while I am not around, however i do not have cameras connected that need constant WiFi.

Should Wifi Products have a maintenance reboot ie planned restart ? to reset all connections etc, or should they just stay connected permanently ?

0 Ratings
castlemaster
Contributor
Message 175 of 1,165

Well this thread has certainlyh put me off looking for a firmware update to 1.0.04, i've even setup my firewall to block traffic from the discs now incase they try to update 🙂 

0 Ratings
g23
Message 176 of 1,165

@g23wrote:

Until this weekend I had a working 4 disc system - working for over 4 months with no problems at all.

On Saturday I tried to install my 5th disc. I used the app to check the status of the system and got the message to upgrade the firmware.

Unfortunately I did !! - I then had a 4 disc system at v1.02.04 build10

Realising that I could not add the 5th disc from the app, I accessed the network from mybtdevice.home and added the 5th disc.

Everything worked for about an hour. I am now having the same problems as other users. I have done repeated resets of all discs, followed by a full factory reset of every disc. I have tried many further resets and connection is lost each time within anthing from 5 to 60 minutes.

I obviously wish I had discovered this thread before I had started, but because the system had worked so well, I did not anticipate such a problem.

I am posting here to simply add to the list of people requesting urgent action from BT to resolve this issue.

I hope the following update may be of help to some people.  Please note that I am using a BT Home Hub 6.

Further to my previous post I spent a significant time on Tuesday trying to sort out my 5 disc system.

I decided to do a factory reset on each disc yet again.

I then made a 1 disc set up by connecting the Ethernet cable to the hub and setting up a 1 disc installation from the Browser Interface first doing a disc factory reset. I then switched off the disc and disconnected the ethernet cable.

I repeated this for each disc.

I noted that for the first 4 discs the default wifi network name was as per the disc label and the disc name was something typically generic ( eg disc 15)- which indicated a successful reset.

When I came to disc 5, I was surprised to find that the wifi network name was the same as the label but the disc name was STUDY, rather than a generic reset name – this was the name it had been known by on my original network.

I concluded that there may be 1 of 3 possible problems:

1 - I had not done the reset correctly – so I repeated and it was still the same

2 - The disc itself was not reliably resetting

3 - Some information was retained by the Home Hub

So I took the following action which has resulted in a 5 disc system which has been totally stable now for 44 hours (as opposed to typical 5 minutes I had been getting)

---------------

MY POSSIBLE SOLUTION

I disconnected every disc and left them switched off

I factory reset my home hub 6.

I then re-initialsed my home hub with my own network name etc.

I deleted the BTWHOLEHOME app from my iPad and removed old passwords etc. and then reloaded the app.

I then turned off the wifi on the home hub6

I then did the following for each of the 5 discs:

a - Switched on and waited for it to stabilize at red – indicating no connection

b- Factory reset and again waited for it to stabilize at red.

I now had 5 potentially reset discs.

I then reinstalled all five discs using the BTWHOLEHOME app.

--------------------

My system appears to be fully restored and has been stable now for 44 hours.

I have seen no dropouts at all.

I have moved round the house, and watched the network topology update, correctly showing where my iPad is connected.

I hope this may help someone.

0 Ratings
abattle
Contributor
Message 177 of 1,165

Dan,

Can you tell us what you think is causing the drop outs and when a fix is likely to be forthcoming for this, in addition to the renaming of clients bug?

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 178 of 1,165

Tonight I came home to find that the android app no longer thinks I'm connected to the WHWifi.

After a couple of hours it's decided that I am now connected and opens.

Of my 6 discs, 4 are working fine, but I have two wifi connected discs that I've now just turned off completely. If I switch either of them on, the whole network crashes. Do I factory reset them, and try and add them again ? To be honest, I'm scared to. I have no faith that it will work and I think it will impact the 4 working ones negatively.

Like many others all was good for about a week, and then everything went wrong. My 4 working discs seem stable now. But I have 2 white ornaments.

Can someone from BT please help us ? If I know there is a fix for this system coming, I'll persevere with the 4 working discs.

I'm so disappointed by the lack of BT response. I don't want some lengthy instruction on how to get my system working fully, I just want an app that connects, and firmware that is reliable.

0 Ratings
kcg
Beginner
Message 179 of 1,165

Hi g23
Would you be so kind as to advise if you are still issue free please?
If you are I’ll take the same approach as you, in lieu of any sensible approach to resolution coming from BT
Regards
Kevin

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
g23
Message 180 of 1,165

@kcgwrote:

Hi g23
Would you be so kind as to advise if you are still issue free please?
If you are I’ll take the same approach as you, in lieu of any sensible approach to resolution coming from BT
Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin

I am very pleased to advise that my setup remains completely stable - now at 66 hours.

If you follow my process please note that, when I reset my BT Home Hub 6, I started with the hub 'on' and showing blue, and then held the factory reset button until it went through orange (I think) and then finally green. That took about 40 seconds - I don't know whether it was strictly necessary to hold it that long but I read elsewhere that you needed to wait for the green light - and 40 seconds was worth it to be safe !  I will be interested to know whether it is successful for you.

Good luck

David