Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard42
Contributor
Message 241 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Dan-Owrote:

So to confirm, devices will not connect to the master disc (L) either when this situation occurs?

And devices connected to any of the other discs - can they ping the Home Hub?

In terms of an ETA for a fix, unfortunately there isn't a date we can provide at this stage as we are still investigating the issue. We will update as soon as this is known.

1. On the next crash, I'll turn off all of the discs apart from the master disc and let you know.  I suspect not.

2. When the crash occurs, it is possible to ping the router briefly from an already connected device on another disc but with very high latency (~1000ms) and then the network fails completely (see my earlier post).  After turning the master disc off and back on again, the latency returns to 2-3ms and the network is fine.  Before and after the crash all of the disc LEDs are blue.  It doesn't appear necessary to turn all the discs off and on, just the master disc.

Again, I must stress, everything worked flawlessly for months prior to the firmware update, which I regret installing, even though it's best practice for maintaining good security. 

With regards to an ETA, based upon past experience perhaps you can give a rough indication.  Are we talking days, weeks or months? I need to assess whether BT Whole Home is still a viable solution for me.

Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 242 of 1,165

I have 3 disks
2 connected to Primary by wifi:
Kitchen: 2.4GHz -74dBm (Showing Poor Connection status)
Bedroom: 5GHz -80dBm (Showing Good Connection status)

The Bedroom disc is the one that disassociated itself from the network (twice) about 11 days ago since last event.
0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 243 of 1,165

@Dan-Owrote:

So to confirm, devices will not connect to the master disc (L) either when this situation occurs?

Just had another network crash.  Again, all of the disc LEDs were blue, devices were connected to Wi-Fi but it wasn't possible to use the LAN or Internet.  This time, I turned off everything apart from the master disc.  Any devices within range automatically reconnected to the master disc and were then able to access the LAN and Internet.  

So there are now two temporary workarounds, neither acceptable of course. 

1. Turn the master disc off and back on when the crash occurs.
2. Turn everything except the master disc off when the crash occurs.

How are the developers getting on please? Surely they must have enough information by now to reproduce the problem and start working on an urgent bug fix.

Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 244 of 1,165

@Dan-O Details

4 Discs - been up 3 Days since last reboot

Office is the Primary connected to BT Business Hub 5 by Ethernet

Kitchen connected to Office via WiFi - Good Connection - 5GHz , -73

Dining Room connected to Kitchen via WiFi - Good Connection -5GHz, -70

Lounge connected to Kitchen via WiFi - Excellent Connection - 5GHz, -59

As mentioned many times on the previous firmware both theDining Room & Lounge would go of their own accord from the status above to - Poor Connection but not recover to Good Connection without a reboot, at least now when everything is up they stay on the connection status above

I also have AP Steering disabled

0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 245 of 1,165

So my Hue hub is connected to one of the satelite wholehome discs.. odd set up I know, but it has worked absolutely fine, that is until this update. Didnt think this could be a cause, so have spent many hours trying to find out why my hue lights are not turning on and now I discover that yet again it could well be due to bugs in the firmware of this system.  I am now investigating how to get a refund on these discs. I bought this system because I wanted no hassle reliable wifi. I honestly have not got the time to be messing around with this.

Deryman
Contributor
Message 246 of 1,165

I’m convinced BT have washed their hands of this product. Let’s face it, any other company would be rushing out working fixes as fast as they could. BT must have a single part timer working on the whole home software given how slow they are. Very shoddy.

RS4
Contributor
Message 247 of 1,165

If only we could reinstall the previous firmware, then we could go back to a working version whilst waiting for a fix.

Sorry to all those readers that read this post and think I am a broken record. I keep mentioning this because over the past couple of years as a user of BTWHOLEHOME I have had many bad firmware experiences and have asked for the ability to downgrade, but BT (like other complaints) just ignore and never provide any response - and here we are again with many upset customers and no ability to do anything to fix except turn off the discs and wait for an indeterminate amount of time for a fix to be released.

BT - we MUST have the ability to install different firmware versions or at least be able to revert to the previous installed version.

As BT seem to consistently release broken and unreliable firmware we need a way to help ourselves and protect ourselves against network failures.

Obviously there is no excuse for releasing untested and unreliable firmware, but the ability to revert to a previous known working version would take a lot of pressure off BT and make for happier customers, whilst problems/fixes were being investigated.
MrX911
Contributor
Message 248 of 1,165

After many posts asking BT about this issue. I’ve worked out how to get a reply.

All I did was post a damning report how bad The product is AND that a few of my posts seemed to be have been deleted and within 5 minutes I received a private message from BT saying they don’t delete messages.

So it’s great to know that BT are indeed monitoring this thread and will reply instantly if you accuse them of deleting a post. Ask them about what’s wrong with the firmware, why can’t we roll back, when will it likely to be fixed, weeks or month? And you are unlikely to hear anything. Well that’s my experience.

Good luck all. I’ve given up on this junk.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
richard42
Contributor
Message 249 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:
BT - we MUST have the ability to install different firmware versions or at least be able to revert to the previous installed version. 

I agree that reverting to a previous firmware version would be very useful, if serious bugs like this are likely to crop up.  Prior to installing BT Whole Home, I never had firmware issues like this with other Wi-Fi equipment vendors, including Apple, Linksys and others.  It makes me concerned for the quality of the firmware code, especially if this has happened before.  I knew my initial positive view of the BT Whole Home solution was too good to be true...

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 250 of 1,165

@Benjaminleo I too have my Hue hub connected to the "Kitchen" Disc and generally i have no issues with the HUE, I guess it depends how often the discs lose connectivity

I am at over 4 days since last reboot, generally mine tend to stay up a week, so as mentioned below I may do a maintenance reboot every Saturday if my discs lose connection again in a few days time

Glad at least mine stay up for a few days

0 Ratings