Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 271 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@richard42
Could you possibly have interference from any other Wi-fi device

Could this be environmental, but I would have thought BT would want to work with someone with regular dropouts like yours to understand what is happening
0 Ratings
simonjedrake
Aspiring Contributor
Message 272 of 1,165

@richard42

Like the majority of us on this forum, we are suffering from crashes with the same characteristics as you are currently experiencing.

The fix that always works for me (so far) is just to disconnect the power lead from the Disc plugged into the router - count to 60 - plug Disc back again and wait for the solid blue light - then within a few minutes all my other 4 disc will reconnect as normal.

I have not had to reboot/turn off the other Discs so far...............

0 Ratings
JWinBirmingham
Beginner
Message 273 of 1,165

Dan, appreciate your ongoing support in this Forum.

I too have 4 discs which operated perfectly for months before this latest firmware update. Since then internet connectivity is always lost within a few hours, with otherwise happy blue light discs.  I have found that I can keep connectivity up & running by limping along in ‘repeater mode’, i.e with just the master disc and 1 satellite disc turned on only.  This of course defeats the point of a mesh network and leaves me with very poor coverage.

The telephone help desk operated by Staffords in Liverpool are usually extremely unhelpful, and at best suggest that the units are returned to the retailer for a refund or that I wait for the 2nd line (email) support to follow up on the escalation.  The refund is no longer an option for me as the discs I bought  were returned to you for investigation, and so the retailer would not accept my returning items I hadn’t purchased from them!

The email support is very unresponsive (presumably as they are overwhelmed) and rarely answers my questions.

As many contributors have suggested BT really should take the unusual step of rolling back the firmware to it’s previous functional but buggy build until such time they can get it right.  It is really unacceptable to leave so many customers hanging like this.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 274 of 1,165

Since the new firmware my 5 discs were crashing at least once or twice every day, they did not last more than 24hrs without causing problems. (5 discs, 1 master connected via Ethernet)

the problems, as has been described previously, all discs with blue lights, client devices still connected to Wi-Fi but having lost the previously dhcp supplied address hence no connectivity.

the “temporary” solution being to power cycle the master disc.

Having tried many other ideas (like changing channels, factory resets, etc) I have found the only temporary pain relief is turning off every wireless connected disc, leaving only the single master disc connected/powered has resulted in the master disc continuing to operate for the past week without the above problems.  

But of course I now only have a single disc running, and with that the other 4 discs are nothing more than ugly ornaments, and the Wi-Fi coverage is drastically reduced - but the single master disc has remained available.  Depending on your situation, this may provide some temporary relief.

on past experience with recurring problems with BT and firmware on this platform, it is going to take a couple of MONTHS, at least (not weeks), to get any chance of a fix.  No BT will not release the previous firmware, nor allow down grade ability (I have asked many, many times) they just prefer to allow users/customers to suffer! Oh and BT will not learn from its mistakes, you can expect similar problems in the future, they just never learn!

the approach to supporting this product, and response and attitude to its customers from BT is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 275 of 1,165

I have worked in the IT industry for over 25 years, and probably the single most important point to learn...

before you make a change of any kind to a production system, make sure you have a “back out plan”, a way to revert back to a known working position, just in case things go wrong.

this is fundamental.

you must NEVER leave a system broken whilst you investigate the problems.

BT however force new firmware that has not been fully tested and provide now consideration for a back-out should things go wrong.

BT never learn, we have been here many times already!

it is ESSENTIAL, that we have the ability to revert or downgrade to the previous or prior firmware version.

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 276 of 1,165

I understand the rationale for this, but I supsect part of the problem is that the current firmware doesn't have the UI to allow ad-hoc firmware to be loaded. So presumably  they'd need to issue a firmware upgrade with this feature built in to it so that they could then make the earlier firmware available to end users.

Not to mention the possibilty of having to migrate settings data back to a compatible format for an earlier version of the code. Not to let BT off the hook but I can see how it would be a significant engineering, logistics and comms challenge. 

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pridout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 277 of 1,165

@richard42wrote:

Google and Apple would never get away with treating their customers so poorly without a lot of bad press,

Oh yes they do! If you have an hour or two to spend (if your wifi stays up long enough 😉 ) try reading through this 803 posts long thread https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/googlehome/E-Blpmr2U...

FWIW, I have held off upgrading while watching this thread to await stability. I'm still on v1.02.03 build03. After weeks of no issues (steering turned off) a couple of days ago my 3 disk system started behaving just like people are describing for the latest firmware. Constant crashing and unable to hold a connection. I did a factory reset but that didn't seem to solve it when I try to run with all three disks- I'm currently running with just a single master disk until I get time to spend trying to redo the factory reset on the slave disks one at a time and get my system back up and running again.

0 Ratings
TonyFrend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 278 of 1,165

I am on the latest firmware and have tried all the fixes/workarounds suggested on this discussion.

I need to reboot my master disc at least once a day so have decided to try just using the master disc till the new firmware is released (and found to be stable by the user base).

Will feed back on my experiences just running the master disc.

Best regards,

Tony

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 279 of 1,165

@Steve59wrote:
@richard42
Could you possibly have interference from any other Wi-fi device

Could this be environmental, but I would have thought BT would want to work with someone with regular dropouts like yours to understand what is happening

No, there aren't any other access points nearby and even if there were, it shouldn't require that all of the discs have to be turned off and back on again - clearly a software issue.  I have already provided signal strengths etc to BT.  This *never* happened prior to the firmware update.  It's a bog standard 6 disc setup, with the master disc connected directly to the router.  When it does crash, as previously states, all the LEDs remain blue, so those are pretty pointless.

Crashed again this morning.

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 280 of 1,165

@TonyFrendwrote:

I am on the latest firmware and have tried all the fixes/workarounds suggested on this discussion.

I need to reboot my master disc at least once a day so have decided to try just using the master disc till the new firmware is released (and found to be stable by the user base).

Will feed back on my experiences just running the master disc. 

I am thinking of following a similar strategy.  I have an AirPort Extreme somewhere, I might try to make do with that for now, until BT sort out this diabolical mess.  At least that's reliable.

0 Ratings