Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
richard42
Contributor
Message 281 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@pridoutwrote:
Oh yes they do! If you have an hour or two to spend (if your wifi stays up long enough ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) try reading through this 803 posts long thread https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/googlehome/E-Blpmr2U...

That looks very frustrating too, but it's for Google Home, so a different class of product.  Interesting though.  I have used access points by other manufacturers and never had this problem with firmware updates.  

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 282 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

BT however force new firmware that has not been fully tested and provide now consideration for a back-out should things go wrong.

BT never learn, we have been here many times already!

it is ESSENTIAL, that we have the ability to revert or downgrade to the previous or prior firmware version.

I agree with this.  Even if it's currently not technically possible, they need to work towards providing this option going forward, rather than use their customers as guinea pigs.  More thorough testing before releasing the firmware would have been a good idea too.

MTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 283 of 1,165

I just stumbled upon this discussion after searching for firmware release notes!

Early March I updated to V1.02.04 build 10 - no reason, just happened to get prompted and saw no reason not too. Big mistake, the whole system has been unusable since.

I didn't think to search communities/forums so I've been struggling whith slow email support and annoyingly there was no admission of a known fault at any time. Instead I just keep being asked to email the same information/logs etc ...

Anyway, I downgraded by firmware today - by returning the useless system and buying another which is running V1.02.01 build 22. While not having all the functionality to rename devices etc, I shall NOT be updating this time!! 

I just can't use the app now since it won't launch without first attempting to update.

*watching for updates*

0 Ratings
Tony_Mac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 284 of 1,165

I like your Lateral Thinking MTG - return the original discs that have been rendered useless by the latest firmware update, and buy a new set of discs running the old - working - firmware ๐Ÿ™‚

We just need BT to 'Think outside of their box'  and give customers a working solution ๐Ÿ˜ž

Nobody likes to go backwards, but allowing us to revert to the old working firmware, would get most of us to get out of this hole. Come on BT get your act together.

Tony

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 285 of 1,165

I have turned all 6 off for now and am using an Apple Airport Extreme instead.  Doesn't give the same coverage but works perfectly.

0 Ratings
MTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 286 of 1,165

Exactly what I was doing - crazy that we have to revert to the old tech to keep up going. I'll never sell my Apple Extreme and Airport Express devices.
0 Ratings
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 287 of 1,165

Managed to downgrade my firmware by plugging in a 6th disk I had never used which had old firmware on it. System has been completely stable all day - previously with the new firmware it was crashing every hour or so. By plugging in the old disk as master when you add the other satellite disks they seem to download the old firmware from the master disk overwriting the new firmware.

Realise this wonโ€™t help everyone but just in case you have an old disk lying around!

So happy to get back to the old system after hours of wasted effort, factory resetting, submitting system logs etc. It will be a while before Iโ€™m tempted to upgrade the firmware again - and if I do Iโ€™ll keep one disk switched off to make sure to keep it on the old firmware in case it all goes pear shaped again and I need to downgrade.

Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 288 of 1,165

Orbi is on offer on amazon today.... ยฃ149

#justsayin
0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 289 of 1,165

I've been quite lucky in that I've only seen the primary fault on my 3 disc setup (discs disassociating from the network but still showing a blue light) twice, and the last occurence was about 2 weeks ago. For the first failure a network restart reassociated the wayward disc, but it disassociated again within 24 hours. So I powered the bad disc off/on again, which reassociated it, and then restarted the network so all disks started together.

They've been stable since then, although about 4 days ago they switched from a "star" to a "chain" topography (which makes more sense given my physical layout - do the discs "learn" the best stable topography or do they just periodically re-configure from scratch?).

I did by luck (i.e. it worked despite no connecton to my router and DHCP) manage to connect my phone app to the isolated disk during the disassociation fault, and I could see that the isolated disc thought it was OK and that the master and other disc were showing red. So effectvely, the isolated disks seem to believe that they are in a working network themselves, hence the persistence of blue lights, and the fact that they will accept connections.

I've had one instance of the other symptom, with devices (My Android phone in this case) constantly dropping and re-acquiring connection, and eventually failing to connect, once, about a week ago. Another network restart fixed that for now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
richdavies1950
Beginner
Message 290 of 1,165

My problems seem to be similar to everyone's. All devices suddenly stop working. The system shows as working but there is no internet connectivity. Tried system reset, changing channels etc, frmware is up to date, discs still need rebooting at least twice daily. I was in touch with someone at BT by email but this communication has now stopped. I suspect there are 1000s of customers with these issues. The product should not be for sale if it does not work properly. Come on BT sort it!!

0 Ratings