cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 361 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I have to ask..If the support team know about the issue, why can't they release the older working firmware as a new one? We may loose some of the new functions But at least we will have a working system. I would rather have a stable network over a few additional functions until a fix is found.
0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 362 of 1,165

@Breadmaker Because some of us have better functionality with the latest version.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 363 of 1,165

@Breadmakerwrote:
I have to ask..If the support team know about the issue, why can't they release the older working firmware as a new one? We may loose some of the new functions But at least we will have a working system. I would rather have a stable network over a few additional functions until a fix is found.

In a round about way they’re doing that although not in the way you’re suggesting.

When I contacted the support team they offered to replace my current setup with a set running older firmware.

I’d rather reboot my primary disc for now rather than disconnecting everything, waiting for a courier and setting up again. Id even consider a factor reset and rebuild over replacing. 

Im guessing the problem is a real challenge to fix as it feels like its taking an age 😕

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 364 of 1,165

@Breadmaker  @Steve59   Which is exactly why we the users/customers/owners of the product should have the OPTION to choose for ourselves.  Then those that are better on the new firmware can stay whilst those that are having problems can revert to the previous.  

This is such a simple concept, however BT have chosen to "play god" without sufficient levels of testing and quality control.  I know the scale is somewhat different, but Imagine if Apple released a firmware that bricked iPhone, that would hit millions of users before news got out and very seriously impact trust and faith in Apple as a company - So you can bet they have a quality control and testing process in accordance with the level of risk to thier business.

BT must provide the ability to install the firmware from the user interface OR a before/after firmware image (just like nearly every other such product) .

But in the short term, I agree, BT should make available the old firmware for those that want it.

Given there is no "published" way to control which firmware is installed, then BT need to inform all registered customers that they will be making a "downgrade" available and anyone that does not wish to be "downgraded" should disable automatic updates.  Trouble is, for all we know, there may be some infrastructure requirements/dependencies that make the previous firmware unusable now - but again, BT being open, honest and explaining the problems they have goes a very long way to setting reasonable expectations and thus understanding with impacted customers.

In all cases, an information vacuum is always a bad thing.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 365 of 1,165

@SeanD  As per your request to report problems to BT support, yesterday I did.

@SeanD FYI

24 hours later and like @Steve59 I have had absolutely ZERO response, not even an acknowledgement to my email.

BTW I am not in the slighest surprised by this tardy level of non-response, in the past it has taken more than 3 or 4 days to get any acknowledgement (note not a response) to problem reports, and that is consistent with my experience since December 2016.  The level of support has not noticeably improved.

0 Ratings
MTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 366 of 1,165

Kudos to @SeanD for being the brave soul to come back to the forum - I'm sure you didn't volunteer for that job 😉

I returned my setup to Maplin and bought another from Curry's before anyone at BT admitted there was a problem (but after several frustratingly slow email conversations!) and before I discovered it was firmware related. So by chance I have a working system.

However, for those that do not there absolutelty should be a workaround which, it appears is somewhat old school in shipping out an older system.

I take the point about later firmware having additional functionality and frequent reboots being the workaround for this but BT has failed to grasp how important it is for some people to be permanently online; I travel frequently for work and when not home it's not fair that I need to expect others to reset everything when it goes down. I also want to have access to my CCTV system and other connected systems (Sky TV etc.) when not at home. Having the system freqently disconnect when out of the house was just as unacceptable as it was when home.

The biggest issue I have is with how the failure has been managed by BT. Amateur repsonse to a problem generated by sub-optimal testing prior to market release. Shame on BT, a shocking outfit.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 367 of 1,165

After factory resetting my discs I am currently at 3 days 11 hours so fingers crossed my system is now ok.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Vatiquette
Aspiring Contributor
Message 368 of 1,165

After contacting BT and being escalted to 2nd line support I was offered a new set of disks with the older firmware.

However, I found stability can be achieved by setting the Wifi channels manually:

2.4Ghz - worked best for me but I would recommend trying 1 and 11 and see which gives your worst device the best dBm value

5Ghz - 40 worked the best, again I would try all the channels looking for the best dBm.

I believe fixing the 5Ghz channel, and therefore stabalising the backhaul between Discs, is the key configuration change to make for stability.

I think, but I'm still experimenting with, disabling or re-configuring the legacy steering via https://mybtdevice.hom/steering.htm also helps.

None of this helps with the device naming which constantly becomes corrupt with custom names pointing to multiple MAC addresses. I believe this happens when during Disc configuration synchronisation and the table becomes corrupt. My table, for example, includes MAC addresses related to the Discs which is frustrating when they take the name of one of your devices - it took a while to figure out what was going on but using a MAC address vendor lookup tool helped.

foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 369 of 1,165

Is there any new firmware on the way any time soon? i like many others are struggling with this. i purchased 2 x twin packs to cover a 3 story house and i must say i was very satsified with the system telling quite a few friends to purchase it 3 did (how i regreat advising them to buy this system now)

Come on BT you know you have an issue get it sorted ive been waiting very pationaly but felt the need to join here just to post my disapointment and my embarrssment advising friends to purchase these and left with egg on my face.

VERY DISAPOINTED IN THE RESPONSE TIME TO GET THIS FIRMWARE SORTED !!!

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 370 of 1,165

sorry double posted by mistake please remove

0 Ratings