Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
IanD2
Contributor
Message 401 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Just to update with my experiences. Have been on this forum with my system issues for months now.

Following the mail requesting all issues to be raised formally with the helpdesk, I emailed them.

They replied within an hour or so, and asked for lots of info about my set up and wanted the system logs.

I sent all this in, and got replies to all my mails quickly. They then offered to replace my units for new ones with previous firmware. I agreed to this, and they are due to do the courier swap over this afternoon. I really want to exclude any hardware issues with my 3 x 2 disc packs as two of them simply crash the whole network if switched on. I can't fault the communications around the swap over, and they have replied to all my mails quickly. They seem to be a company called Staffords, based in Liverpool.

This afternoon will be spent trying to set up the new 6 disc system with the old firmware on it. Hoping that goes OK....but not expecting it to.

The fact that we have the issue is shocking, I agree....but, since I involved the helpdesk, I can't fault the service I've received.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
abattle
Contributor
Message 402 of 1,165

As I mentioned in a previous post, my WHWF suffered drop outs after my SmartHub resynced and restarted during the night.

To get it going again, I turned the master disc off and on but found that the dropouts reoccurred within a day.

To fix this, I power cycled the master disc, waited for the system to start working again. Once I had access to the app again I initiated a restart from the app.

There have been no dropouts for 5 days now.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 403 of 1,165

If it helps anyone, I can confirm that if you turn off ALL discs except the single Master then you will have an operable work-a-round while waiting for a better solution.  

My 5 disc solution, well 5-4 = 1 (only the master) has been fine now for 4+ weeks, no reboots required.

This means while I have been waiting for BT to get thier act together I have at least had basic WiFi coverage, not the 5 dics solution, but a 1 disc solution, that being better than nothing at all and twice daily reboots being required.

I now have 5x replacement discs (arrived yesterday), and will be swapping them over this weekend so I revert back to the previous firmware and then run on that with 5 discs again.  Courier collection has been arranged for next Tuesday so I have time to reconfigure over the weekend.

BT totally ignored my request for compensation.

BT also, as always, totally ignored my request (again) for adding the ability to manually upload firmware.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 404 of 1,165

As things seem a little quiet from BT (again) I'm going to ask

Is there any update on progress towards a solution, a plan or an ETA for fix?

I'm really trying to avoid sending mines back....so looking for a good reason not to switch to another mesh system but every week that goes by without a solution makes it more difficult to not justify.

Please take this in right spirits - Come on BT get us a solution that doesn't involve swapping discs or swapping mesh systems!

0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 405 of 1,165

I purchased mine from Amazon and although I am 3 and 4 months outside their return window (30 days), I contacted them this morning and they have agreed to have them back and give me a full refund 🙂

My question now is, do I replace them like for like or try something else? What does anyone suggest?

I have 4 discs in my set up (a 3 disc pack and a 1 disc add on) so will need at least 4 maybe 5 discs/ units to replace them.

Oh and BT phoned me last night at 22:27 (yes that late) and woke me up (I have to get up at 03:30, but thats another story) I told them to phone me back at a reasonable time today after 15:00hrs so dont know what they were going to say.

0 Ratings
tsr2
Contributor
Message 406 of 1,165

@TheRealMewrote:

My question now is, do I replace them like for like or try something else? What does anyone suggest?.

Definitely something else, possibly Netgear Orbi, but I haven't researched it.

0 Ratings
intgom
Beginner
Message 407 of 1,165

I think I've missed the no quibbles return period so will be returning under sale of goods act - not as described, i.e. faulty.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 408 of 1,165

I purchased a 3xDisc when it first was launched at £299 (or was it £399)  plus 2x addons, so I have invested more than £500 into this system.   

Would I do it again...?

Absolutely Not.

I do like the physical appearance (fairly-wife-friendly).

The lack of management controls over the devices is a constant issue for me, as is the poor response from the helpdesk, but the latter is fairly normal really.

But the killer for me is that this incident we are all suffering now with this latest firmware is not the first time for me and BT, over the past 18months, do not seem to have learnt anything in terms of customer care or more importantly testing of the product before launch. And certainly have never fixed the problems very quickly, and have never provided information or set reasonable expectations (just like now, total silence).

At launch the product simply would not work for me, that required BT R&D to investigate which took several weeks and many phone calls.  The fact I do not use a BT HomeHub also confused them, as they were totally fixated on every customer having a HomeHub!  They were going to ship me a HomeHub to test with but never did.  

The iOS app has had numerous problems, sometimes not working at all. (I dont use that at all now).

Then we have had at least 3x firmware upgrades where problems have been introduced and had to wait for a fix to be released.  And none of the firmware versions have ever been problem free for all users.

Many times I have asked for the ability to downgrade, revert, whatever you want to call it, the ability to manually load firmware files so we can manage an upgrade and more importantly a 'back out' should things go bad.  Nope, nothing, nada.

BT WholeHome is also not running a MESH network as described, in the sense that the routing protocol is not MESH it is still a hub-spoke, repeater based topology (BT told me this when I started asking what MESHing algo they were using). [If you havent guessed I have maintained and deployed true mesh-wifi sytems].  So this product is not what I thought I was purchasing.  "MESH" is the current buzzword for multi-node WiFi as is "Whole Home Wifi", but that doesnt mean it is running a mesh network protocol.

So NO, I would not recommend this product on the basis of it's poor reliability and terrible maintenance track record.

As others have mentioned, I need the system to work reliably, "just work".  I dont need my office and family moaning when things don't work all the time.  It has caused more headaches, agrravation and distress than pretty much any other wifi related product I have ever come across in the past 10+ years.

And of course, right now, today, we still have no word from BT, an expectation of when a fix will be made available, no mention of compensation, initially denial of the problem, at best a hardware swap out (but of course maake sure you dont upgrade the firmware again by accident).

Yep. Not happy.

0 Ratings
MTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 409 of 1,165

Friend of mine has gone with Orbi and rates the speed/coverage.

I just replaced like for like and didn'tupdate the firmware; it's a decent product when it works.

I just don't undertand the comments about running only one disc and the fact that 'works'. Why is this different to just useing your router's wifi??

0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 410 of 1,165

My Wife and Son are both giving me immense grief over this WiFi issue, what would you recommend @RS4 I am just reading up on the TP-Link Deco system and toying with the idea of ordering it today knowing I can return it within 30 days anyway without any hassle.
0 Ratings