Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
RS4
Contributor
Message 411 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@MTG 

My router does not have Wifi πŸ™‚

For security and feature reasons I use a more expensive (more than commodity routers) CISCO Router.  So a bit like the argument for HiFi Seperates vs an all-in-one Stack system (in the old days of course).

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 412 of 1,165

@TheRealMe

At this point in time I have not researched the other solutions so I would not wish to advise.

What has worked for me, to stop the "grief" is to turn off all discs except the master.  Reduced coverage but seems to have been reliable for the past 4+ weeks, only 1 power-cycle required to fix a problem with the guest network.

For many reasons [and this is of course personal choice], I am not happy with systems that provide cloud-based management systems, ie you log on to a hosted website to manage your in-home devices.  So when I researched before that ruled a couple of products out, and I purchased right at the begining before the Orbi and others had been launched.  It now feels like BT rushed this product to the market to try and be first.

I had come to terms with the last firmware as being "sufficiently" stable, and thought the worst was behind us, hence was sticking with BT and for the same reason took the latest firmware upgrade.

If I can get the BT solution stable again now (on the previous firmware using the replacement discs) I will be securing it and preventing it from being able to upgrade again ever, it will be isolated with no internet connectivity at all, in or out.  (That is for the BT discs to contact BT, obviously they will still allow my devices to connect to my home network and thus my devices will still have internet access)

I will then start looking for an alternative replacement solution.

I will never buy any network devices from BT ever again.

Having said that I do like the BT TELEPHONES, the style and the nuisance call blocking features work well.  BT should stick to telephones!!!

Forthay
Contributor
Message 413 of 1,165

Just discussed with Amazon and relucantly after 2 months and no sign a fix from BT other than replace the discs it's time to return.

What recommendations for a replacement does anyone have?

0 Ratings
Rossboo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 414 of 1,165

Interesting to hear about amazon taking back the faulty routers. I ordered mine from amazon so I might ask them for a refund too and get a different system .
0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 415 of 1,165

Thats exactly what I have done, I have printed my return labels already and ordered a TP-Link Deco system being delivered tomorrow and will set up on Sunday, ship my BT stuff back Monday and job done (hopefully)

I purchased my 3 disc set in November 2017 and my 1 disc add on in January, Amazon agreed to have them back within an hour, only good thing was I asked for an exchange or refund, they said they couldnt exchange but they will fully refund me πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 416 of 1,165

I bought mine from Maplin and therefore I’m SOL

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 417 of 1,165

@RS4 How do you stop the discs reaching out to the internet, my discs are on the latest firmware and been up for 21 days so would be very reluctant to change anything as they work fine for me

0 Ratings
Highlighted
plunet
Beginner
Message 418 of 1,165

@Steve59I think it depends on the version of firmware you're running. For me - on v1.02.01 there is no auto-update function in the firmware. You could block the MAC or IPs of the discs in your router from getting to the internet but that depends on the capabilities of the router and your ability to do it. Unless of course the firmware updates are transitioned to the discs via the app and your phone - I've got no idea how it works in practice.

@Steve59wrote:

@RS4 How do you stop the discs reaching out to the internet, my discs are on the latest firmware and been up for 21 days so would be very reluctant to change anything as they work fine for me

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 419 of 1,165

@plunetwrote:

@Steve59I think it depends on the version of firmware you're running. For me - on v1.02.01 there is no auto-update function in the firmware. You could block the MAC or IPs of the discs in your router from getting to the internet but that depends on the capabilities of the router and your ability to do it. Unless of course the firmware updates are transitioned to the discs via the app and your phone - I've got no idea how it works in practice.

@Steve59wrote:

@plunet I have auto update disabled,

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 420 of 1,165

Who ever dabbles with the next release of firmware please open an new thread titled with the firmware version so we can monitor success before updating