Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RS4
Contributor
Message 421 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Steve59

Two steps.  First I setup the BT discs with STATIC IP addresses, so I know where they are.  Second create firewall rules to specifically block all internet traffic to/from those static IP addresses.

Fortunately I have a hardware firewall (the CISCO router) and in that I can define the firewall rules that I need and thus control traffic in or out of my home/office network.

Provided your gateway/internet router has firewall rule capability then you should be able to do the same.  If however it is a basic router, perhaps an ISP supplied one, then you might struggle.  This is why I dont use an ISP supplied router.

For example, I also block the CCTV equipment like that as well as the amount of Russion and Chinese traffic going in and out is incredible - but thats another story.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
plunet
Beginner
Message 422 of 1,165

That's assuming there is a next release of firmware...
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 423 of 1,165

@plunet

That very thought has crossed my mind also, we could be left sitting with paper-weights!

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 424 of 1,165

Amazon have been great. I’ve got to the end of May to return one pack and end of June for the other. I cannot find anther System that ticks all the boxes just yet so going to keep on looking. Any recommendations welcome! (BT, assuming you’re still following this thread I’d like to stay but if I have to dismantle the system another whole home ain’t going in).

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 425 of 1,165

I looked very closely at the Tenda Nova system, great reviews but then again BT units got great reviews too.  In the end I went against my better judgement and went for BT.  Wish I had gone for Tenda.

0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 426 of 1,165

Mine went back this morning and my new TP-Link Deco system has arrived so will be setting that up in a bit, a lost customer for BT here, shame as when it worked before the firmware update, I was really pleased with it. 

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 427 of 1,165

@TheRealMewrote:

Mine went back this morning and my new TP-Link Deco system has arrived so will be setting that up in a bit, a lost customer for BT here, shame as when it worked before the firmware update, I was really pleased with it. 

Let us know how you get on and what you think in comparison. I was considering Netgear srk60 but it has massive plugs and whilst range should be great I'm just finding it hard accepting two modules can replace the six discs of the BT Wholehome.

0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 428 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

@TheRealMewrote:

Let us know how you get on and what you think in comparison. I was considering Netgear srk60 but it has massive plugs and whilst range should be great I'm just finding it hard accepting two modules can replace the six discs of the BT Wholehome.

So far so good, took a few minutes to set up, first thing it did was ask me to update firmware, holding my breath I did, no problems as yet.

3 discs in this set, I had 4 BT discs, and I have a stronger WiFi signal all over the house (its only been an hour or so) noticed my iPad and iPhones don’t drop signal when screen goes off now, they did with BT Whole Home WiFi, and web pages are loading faster.

I had a wonder around my house and up the garden and I am now typing this approx 50 7ED1F546-1DEA-4EF0-9649-1C0466FE447E.pngmetre away from my nearest Deco disc and I have a great connection, BT didn’t reach half way up my garden before the broken firmware never mind after, attached screenshot was approx 60 metres away from my nearest disk inside my shed with the door closed! Speed test from within the TP-Link Deco app on my iPad.

Its a good start so far

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 429 of 1,165

Is there still a limitation with TP Link that from the WiFi you cannot connect to hard wired devices connected to the router ports ie a printer or NAS sk you would have to connect into the discs Ethernet
0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 430 of 1,165

@Steve59wrote:
Is there still a limitation with TP Link that from the WiFi you cannot connect to hard wired devices connected to the router ports ie a printer or NAS sk you would have to connect into the discs Ethernet

I just tried from my iPad, my printer is connected to my router by cable NOT the TP link discs and it found the printer straight away so it works OK for me.

I also disconnected my printer cable from the router and even with the printer connected to the router (with a different name and completely separate from Deco) WiFi it connected and found it straight away and printed the page. 

I hadn’t tried that before you asked so thank you for asking, I may have forgot to check that and knowing me when I am in a hurry it wouldn’t have worked lol. 

0 Ratings