Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Forthay
Contributor
Message 441 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@RS4wrote:

My 5 replacement discs arrived (3 pack plus 2 addons) and I installed them on Sunday.

HOWEVER...

No matter how hard I try I have so far been unable to activate the two addons, they will not join the existing 3 discs.

Following the usual "Add a new disc" process worked perfectly for No2 and No3, but both the addons discs complete the process but end up with a solid red light and are undetected and unusable.

I do not know if this is a problem with the previous firmware (in this case v1.02.03 build03) because my previous 5 discs were installed with a prior firmware and then all upgraded to v1.02.03 build03 at the same time.

So now I have 3 discs working again on v1.02.03 build03 but NOT the 2 addon discs.  

The nightmare continues...

That is really disappointing, BT should be ashamed of the state they have left their Wholehome users in.

BT Wholehome is simply not fit for purpose at this point.

No solution 8 weeks on and worse still no regular updates or any sign they care.

It all very disappointing.

0 Ratings
orientboy2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 442 of 1,165

Did you replace your Router or just plug these in as WIFI only?

I recall the BT wholehome was the only "only wifi" non router option.

I dont want to replace my Netgear router but want a wifi mesh

0 Ratings
Highlighted
IanD2
Contributor
Message 443 of 1,165

RS4....just double checking that you are connecting each add-on disc to the router to learn the WiFi network before locating them. I only ask as I got carried away and missed this bit first time round.
Ian
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 444 of 1,165

@orientboy2000  I have a cisco router and will NOT be replacing that.  

And to be clear, BT WholeHome is not a "MESH" networking protocol, it is still repeaters.

I currently (attempt) to use the BT WholeHome as WiFi only access points, I say "attempt" due to all the problems currently.

Whatever replacement solution I will now be choosing, normally you can just disable the "routing" function and place the "WiFi router" into "bridge" mode.  Well, that has certainly been possible on previous WiFi routers, I do not yet know for the likes of Orbi, Deco, etc.

So a key piece of research/information from people that have Orbi or Deco is, can the routing function be disabled and can they be used in bridge mode only?

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 445 of 1,165

@IanD2 Thank you for taking the time to offer assistance.  Unfortunately, I had not forgotten that step.

Indeed in the past I have forgotten, so this time round I was super diligent, had a check list, did the same for each disc, one at a time, everything by-the-book as it were.  And performed factory reset and repeated a couple of times.

But no luck.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 446 of 1,165

I have now decided that I will be seeking a refund from BT as this product is not fit-for-purpose nor as-described.

After 8 weeks there is still no sign of a resolution, and the supposed temporary work-around of replacing discs is not seemless.

Unfortunately, my mistake is that I purchased my discs directly from the BT online shop in November 2016 (or about then when the product first launched), so I do not have the luxury of being able to return them to someone like Amazon.  Hence I am now starting the process of seeking a refund from BT and will be researching a new solution.

Of course I will share with everyone here how BT respond to my request for a refund.

0 Ratings
TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 447 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

And to be clear, BT WholeHome is not a "MESH" networking protocol, it is still repeaters.

I currently (attempt) to use the BT WholeHome as WiFi only access points, I say "attempt" due to all the problems currently.

Whatever replacement solution I will now be choosing, normally you can just disable the "routing" function and place the "WiFi router" into "bridge" mode.  Well, that has certainly been possible on previous WiFi routers, I do not yet know for the likes of Orbi, Deco, etc.

So a key piece of research/information from people that have Orbi or Deco is, can the routing function be disabled and can they be used in bridge mode only?

When I first set my Deco up, 1 camera would not connect internally or externaly, I changed Deco to AP mode and it connected straight away. From the Deco help...

In AP mode, the Deco system will not act as a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the clients. Please make sure you have enabled the DHCP server function on the root router.
In AP mode, since all the clients are managed by the root router, some advanced features will not be available on the Deco app, including Antivirus, Parental Controls, Port Forwarding, Address Reservation, TP-Link DDNS, etc.
Ethernet Backhaul could still take effect in AP mode.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 448 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

For the replacements I'm looking at including Orbi bridge/AP mode is possible. There are three things currently stopping me from ordering the Orbi Pro's - the fact you only get two for my price point, it's not a true mesh system and the size of the plugs 🙂

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 449 of 1,165

@TheRealMe @Forthay

Have confirmed Access Point / Bridge mode is available on Deco and Orbi.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 450 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

@TheRealMe @Forthay

Have confirmed Access Point / Bridge mode is available on Deco and Orbi.

Cool, I'm still researching before finally choosing as I don't want to loose the client list when in AP/Bridge mode.

0 Ratings