cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyFrend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 491 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Reluctantly, returned my 3 disc setup to Argos and ordered the TP-Link Deco M5 system (recently reduced to the same price as the Whole Home system). Should be delivered today.

I could not wait any longer (> 8 weeks already!) for the firmware fix and would always be worried that the next firmware release from BT would ruin my setup again.

Will report back with my experiences with the TP-Link.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 492 of 1,165

@TonyFrendwrote:

Reluctantly, returned my 3 disc setup to Argos and ordered the TP-Link Deco M5 system (recently reduced to the same price as the Whole Home system). Should be delivered today.

I could not wait any longer (> 8 weeks already!) for the firmware fix and would always be worried that the next firmware release from BT would ruin my setup again.

I’m sure you’ll be delighted and I’d be interested to hear how you get on.

I just wish in AP mode you could see all devices on the network. That would have sealed the deal for me.

0 Ratings
abattle
Contributor
Message 493 of 1,165

Returned my 3 disc system to Amazon and picked up the Orbi Rbk 30 for £149 from PC World. Plugged in to my old Openreach modem because the main Orbi unit has 4 Ethernet ports, all of which I needed. Very impressed, and I’m £50 better off!
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 494 of 1,165

@abattlewrote:
Returned my 3 disc system to Amazon and picked up the Orbi Rbk 30 for £149 from PC World. Plugged in to my old Openreach modem because the main Orbi unit has 4 Ethernet ports, all of which I needed. Very impressed, and I’m £50 better off!

£50 better of and they work!!! 

Come on BT this is not good enough, allow role backs or correct the problem you've created !!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TonyFrend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 495 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

@TonyFrendwrote:

I just wish in AP mode you could see all devices on the network. That would have sealed the deal for me.

@tp-Link system was delivered @ 13:15 and was installed and configured in Access Point mode by 13:30. I liked the installation via bluetooth approach - no having to connect all the discs via ethernet cable to set them up.

All my wireless devices connected and communicating with wired devices such as my NAS well.

Discs are elegant and less obtrusive than the BT discs. Will update you on stability etc in a few days

TheRealMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 496 of 1,165

My Deco are still working fine very pleased with them so far and the best WiFi coverage I have ever had at home

0 Ratings
abattle
Contributor
Message 497 of 1,165

I looked at other systems. A three node system was overkill for my house so concentrated on 2 node solutions. I also noted that some functionality was lost by putting Orbi, Google etc in AP mode with the SmartHub and I didn’t want to use an Ethernet switch with all my devices connected to one Ethernet port, so that left the Orbi. I also liked the dedicated 5GHz backhaul channel.
0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 498 of 1,165

wrote:

@Forthaywrote:

@TonyFrend wrote:

@tp-Link system was delivered @ 13:15 and was installed and configured in Access Point mode by 13:30. I liked the installation via bluetooth approach - no having to connect all the discs via ethernet cable to set them up.

All my wireless devices connected and communicating with wired devices such as my NAS well.

Discs are elegant and less obtrusive than the BT discs. Will update you on stability etc in a few days

That's great @TonyFrend, thanks I have a couple of question if you don't mind...

Are you running your Deco in router or AP/Bridge mode?

If AP/Bridge mode is your NAS connected to your Deco or modem/router?

I have a SmartHub with various devices connected and would like to run my replacement mesh network in AP/Bridge mode and for all the devices to see each other.

0 Ratings
TonyFrend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 499 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

wrote:

@Forthaywrote:

@TonyFrend wrote:

That's great @TonyFrend, thanks I have a couple of question if you don't mind...

Are you running your Deco in router or AP/Bridge mode?

If AP/Bridge mode is your NAS connected to your Deco or modem/router?

I have a SmartHub with various devices connected and would like to run my replacement mesh network in AP/Bridge mode

Running in AP mode as I had some static IPs and port forwarding set up on my ISP supplied router/modem that I did not want to try to replicate on the TP-Link Deco (I switched off the WIFI on my ISP router). 

NAS connected via Ethernet cable to a TP-Link switch that is connected via Ethernet cable to my ISP router/modem. 

Can cast media from my wired NAS to my wireless Chromecast devices (via Plex).

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 500 of 1,165

@TonyFrend Can I clarify if I may, will a wireless device connect to the NAS if the NAS is connected to the router via ethernet and NOT the TP Link, as that is how the BT WH works 

0 Ratings