cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 521 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

... And if your PC has a wired connection to your LAN use the disc's IP address instead of the text version, e.g. http:// 123. 123.123.123/steering.htm as the full URL only works if you connect to the disks wirelessly (or maybe if you have a BT router - which I don't)

Edit... Oops... You probably know this already as you're using the web interface...
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 522 of 1,165

@antonypg or Ubiquiti UniFi

if you want full management over every client, and performance statistics etc, take a look at the Ubiquiti network controller software.  For those that want more advanced features this would be a great choice.

0 Ratings
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 523 of 1,165

I am at my wits end with these now. Last few days have required daily resets. Today required two. When you work from home and rely on the internet it is very frustrating. The worst thing is there is no notice or visual clue until you loose the connection and the internet just hangs and you realise what has happened.

I am calling Amazon tomorrow for a refund. I now need an alternative that works well with my Sonos system and various smart devices. The search starts now.
0 Ratings
Fatjogger
Beginner
Message 524 of 1,165

OK - progress (or lack of) to date (sorry this is a bit long winded):

I tried disabling all Steering functions last night, moved one of the WiFi temp sensors (the ones that work on 2.4Ghz, waking up and connecting every 30 mins or so to send a temp reading) near the main disc (the one connected to the router) and let it stay like this until a few hours ago.

Results were the WiFi temp sensor by the main (connected to the router) disc was unable to send data to the Raspberry Pi connected to the router by cable (except at about 7am this morning when one reading got through), all the other sensors that connect to the satellite disc kept working fine. Checking the main disc logs showed the affected sensor did connect (and disconnect as it should) every 30 mins right through the whole period. Couldn't even see any real difference for the 7am connection when it worked.

So tonight I tried the Kindle, and sat by the main disc, it seemed to work OK - so I wondered if I had two problems.

I re-enabled steering and found the Kindle started loosing connection, or getting a weak connection - quick check of the logs showed it connected to the main disc, then went to the satellite disc, but sometimes it lost the connection to the satellite disc (and at one point came up as blocked, but seemed to sort itself out).

So - thought we're on to something here, I'll turn off AP steering - except I couldn't. Selecting AP Steering disabled and saving resulted in the screen refreshing with AP Steering enabled and Beam Steering disabled - so I reverted to just disable all steering.

I tried the Kindle again thinking this will work now! It didn't. It started only connecting to the satellite disc or loosing connection all together.

Then I tried downloading a Netgear WiFi analyser App to my phone and things got interesting, the 2.4GHz signal from the main disc kept disappearing.

So I tried a few enabling/disabling steering functions changes, and even added a few fixed/auto 2.4 and/or 5GHz channel settings for good measure, plus copious re-starts - but no, same problem - mainly the 2.4GHz signal from the main disc would disappear. When that seemed to happen in the Netgear app the Kindle would have problems.

Conclusion (based on no real WiFi/networking knowledge or knowing if I'm interpreting the Netgear App info correctly - just a guess), I have 2 problems.

One being a 2.4Ghz device that connects to the main disc can't see a wired device on the router.

The second being a general problem with the 2.4GHz signal coming off the main disc.

I checked with a friend who has a BT Whole Home system and thinks it’s great, and the best conclusion we can reach is all his devices use 5GHz. All my 5GHz devices work fine.

So I'm going to give it one last chance - I did try swapping the discs before (including factory re-sets) but back then just found a temp sensor by the disc near the router would fail to send data. I'll try it again but now check with the WiFi analyser app and see if one disc has a genuine 2.4GHz transmitter problem.

Its going back to Amazon for a refund, or a replacement if there's a single disc problem. I did look at alternatives but a lot of them seem to also have 'issues'.

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 525 of 1,165

Steve59. Thanks for that. Got it now.
0 Ratings
deldridge
Beginner
Message 526 of 1,165

Hi All

Has anyone heard any update on when a new firmware might be released fixing connection problems?

I'm getting close to trying to get a refund from Currys and changing to something else with a reboot required every day or two and random drop outs.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
plunet
Beginner
Message 527 of 1,165

I realise that the BT community moderators have to choose their wording carefully on a public forum, but the updates that have been made available about this issue have been very much lacking in detail.

@SeanD on the 10th April asked more customers to contact support

we apologise for the issues some of you have had recently with your whole home Wi-Fi product.

Our technical teams have been working very hard to investigate over the last few weeks and we thank those of you who have contacted us and given us some logs and feedback.

If you're affected by an issue and haven't already contacted us, then please do so on 0808 1006116 or btconnectedhome@bt.com. When doing so, and if you're willing, we may also ask you for some help with logs and details of your environment to help with our investigation.

Thanks for your continued patience.

@PaddyB on the 24th April acknowledged the issue and encouraged more customers to contact support and provide logs,

Hi everyone,

I can assure you that teams are working hard to fix this. Our previous briefing still applies.

"we apologise for the issues some of you have had recently with your whole home Wi-Fi product.

Our technical teams have been working very hard to investigate over the last few weeks and we thank those of you who have contacted us and given us some logs and feedback.  

If you're affected by an issue and haven't already contacted us, then please do so on 0808 1006116 or btconnectedhome@bt.com. When doing so, and if you're willing, we may also ask you for some help with logs and details of your environment to help with our investigation.

Thanks for your continued patience.

If you’d prefer not to wait for this and your system isn't working for you, you're obviously within your statutory right to return your product for a refund back to the retailer where you bought it . But we hope you’ll stick with us for a bit longer…

BT Whole Home Wifi Product Team

and @DanielS didn't really offer anything new on 1st May other than to confirm it's a mesh when it's working (but didn't acknowledge it's a mess when it's not working).

Hi everyone,

I don’t have any further updates yet on the progress of providing a solution for this issue but I wanted to correct some incorrect information the helpdesk appears to have supplied to some of you.  

The Whole Home Wi-fi system is a mesh solution and not a repeater.  I am sorry for any confusion caused by anyone who was told otherwise.

As soon as we get any further updates from the product team we will post back here.

Thanks

DanielS

I really fail to understand why BT cannot make available for customers the previous version of firmware to assist customers - there's a clear method to be able to apply the old firmware in the web interface. Can one of the moderators explain why providing a download for the previous firmware is not being offered? Is there an incompatability that the latest firmware modified some core system parameters and rolling back to a previous version is not technically possible?

Looking forward it think it would not be useful if the moderators could disclose whether the the product team now have some understanding of the root cause of the issue and can replicate it

and probably more importantly when the product team have an expectation that a new version of firmware might be available with the caveat that it would just be an estimate and subject to testing

I am a new customer have have left my discs on my factory default firmware, but am waiting with interest to see if BT have killed this product or that there is going to be a fix in a reasonable time. I know of another customer who runs a B&B with the product and it "just works" for them.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 528 of 1,165

I’ve contacted the Exec Complaints teams about this. They are trying to help me but what I’ve been offered so far is an exchange. I don’t have issue with the first 3 discs, it’s when I add additional ones I have the issue so a swap isn’t what I want, however they did say they’ve been aware of the issue about a since early April. As it’s BT consumer retail rather than core stuff it’s a different division that have eyes one this. The exec complaints team have the same detail as we have at the moment, that it’s being worked on, but the guy helping me is going to find out some more on the firmware, if he can. Hopefully as the exec complaints team now have eyes and ears on this it’ll be expedited.
0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 529 of 1,165

@deldridgesame here but with Amazon. It’s a shame BT cannot give customers regular updates. Given the length of time it’s taking I’m beginning to think there’s something fundamentally serious they have no idea how to diagnose and/or fix. I’m on holiday soon and thinking I’ll spend some time writing to the magazines with BT Wholehome reviews to see if any want to run with this story. As far as I’m concerned BT are underplaying the issue and leaving us hanging so when a fix does come out the blue they’re hoping we’ll all be grateful. 🤨
0 Ratings
Rossboo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 530 of 1,165

I sent mine back to Amazon for a refund. As others have said in this forum it's clear BT don't have the tools to fix these problems fast. Sometimes tech fails and needs fixes, even companies like Apple and Microsoft have problems, I get it. What I was more concerned about is this might not be the last problem with this system down the line and I'm not willing to wait 8 weeks + for a fix for broken hardware everytime it happens.
0 Ratings