cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abattle
Contributor
Message 531 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I did the same and replaced it for the Orbi system, £50 less. The final straw for me was seeing my phone listed 3 times in the devices list. I just got fed up waiting for a fix.
0 Ratings
deldridge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 532 of 1,166

Hi - thanks for the response. How are you finding the Orbi system? I’m keen to find a mesh system that works! Cheers
0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 533 of 1,166

If I had to reboot daily or anywhere near that frequency then the would have been returned by now luckily I seem to last between 9 and 21 days depending how the wind blows,
0 Ratings
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 534 of 1,166

I would appreciate some real world feedback on the Orbi system. I am concerned that the two unit solution may not give me the coverage I want.
0 Ratings
abattle
Contributor
Message 535 of 1,166

This might be the one for you then:

NETGEAR RBK30 and RBW30 Orbi Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System Upto 3700 sq ft of Coverage(approx.) 11AC 2.2 Gbps, Works with Amazon Alexa - Pack of 3

Mine has one base and one plug. It was £149 on clearence in PC World. Love the fact that the base has 4 ethernet ports so I ditched the SmartHub and use my old Openreach Modem. That way I can use the Orbi as a router without losing any of the features that I would have if I used it in AP mode with the SmartHub. Plus my internet is 10mbps higher than when I used the SmartHub.

Rock solid stability so far. It's tri-band and has a dedicated channel for backhaul. Also has MU-MIMO, Guest Network etc. The Parental Controls are via an app called 'Circle' which is also excellent.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 536 of 1,166

@Breadmaker

The Orbi is the biggest waste of time and money.. I've been using it for over 6 months and for the last 5 its had constant drops, and when you roll back the firmware it either doesnt allow ios devices or homekit to connect.. If you are you are serious about looking at the Orbi read their community first!

abattle
Contributor
Message 537 of 1,166

I can only speak as I find, and I'm very happy with mine (so far).

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 538 of 1,166

It is now 10 (TEN) weeks since this topic thread was started (late Feb) and I think it is becoming very obvious that BT do not have anything positive they can say else they would have done already.

Like some of you are already thinking, it is obvious the developer of this product obviously has no solution and BT have no ability to implement a fix themselves.  I too started thinking that there will come a point when someone in BT will recognise that the product (or developers) are a lost cause, leaving existing customers with a dead-end product, potentially not even fixed.  I have therefore returned my 5 disc BT WholeHome system for a full refund.

By virtue of the fact that the BT support desk will provide replacement discs with downrev firmware, that demonstrates the network infrastructure is capable of operating with the downrev discs.  It is therefore a real shame for many reasons that the previous firmware is just not made available to customers that wish to downgrade.  Perhaps that would have prevented some people from returning the product instead of being left with no other option.

On a positive note, when I decided to return all 5 of my discs I can report that BT support desk provided a 100% full refund even though the first 3 discs I purchased back in Dec 2016.  I am sure it helped that I am a longstanding BT customer and I purchased the discs from the BT shop so your mileage may vary.  But for all of my comlaining I just wanted to put on record that BT did provide me a full refund and for that I am grateful to BT.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 539 of 1,166

My 3 disc setup has lasted 15 days before a reboot was required this time, the time before was only 5 days. I find that a hardware reboot works much better than a software reboot. It would be nice to have a reboot schedule, if they could get the software reboot to be as good as a hardware one. For my use anyway. 

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 540 of 1,166

Having returned my BT WH discs I am now running a Ubiquiti based solution using UAP-AC-HD.

Where before I had 5 x BTWH discs, I now have only 2 x UAP-AC-HD.  

In fact a single UAP-AC-HD (in my loft) provided almost exactly the same level of service as the previous 5 x BTWH discs*.  The reason I opted for 2 (one in loft, one in kitchen) is so that I have full redundancy.  I now have the ability to perform firmware upgrades (and downgrades) on one UAP-AC-HD whilst the connected clients roam to the other without loss of service.

*your coverage will be different to mine based on your individual circumstances, so please do not take this post as any form of guarantee.  I am just reporting back my findings in case it is of benefit to anyone.  your mileage will vary.

Yes the UAP-AC-HD solution is more expensive (there are cheaper UAP-AC-xxx alternatives) but it is also in a different league to the BT WH.  The management control software allows me to monitor/control every individual client.  Combined with the USG I now have total visibility and control of everything any connected client is doing... perfect.  I also have a mobile application for iOS that gives me nearly the same level of control over all aspects of the network.  I am reassured by the fact that I have the ability to download previous versions of firmware for any of the devices in my network and can manually install as I wish.

I have been running this solution for 2 weeks now and so far have had zero outages of any kind, connection speeds are higher and signal quality has improved noticeably for all clients.  (for those that have asked) Yes, all wireless devices can see all wired devices, and vica-versa, as should be the case with an AP.

Please note these UAP-AC-HD devices are Access Points and not routers (same as BT WH) and therefore you still need a router of some form.  I can confirm that the USG works just fine with BT Infinity.  (I do not use a HomeHub).

Am I happy now? Absolutely.