Did you mean: 
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 571 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Steve59wrote:

@fozwrote:

@agaskewwrote:

Well, this thread makes me sad for those suffering issues.   My 3-disc setup is running v1.02.03 build03 and runs fine.  The system has been up for 60+ days.

Before applying any firmware update, I come here and have a look, and always think  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Shame on BT, word is spreading: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/firmware-update-causes-problems-for-bts-whole-home-wi-...  

Question: Where do BT publish the new features in each firmware release?

Good they may do more to fix the problem...!

A very simple solution  would be roll out a new build maybe with NO fixes to current problems but giving us the option to downgrade firmware, everything seemed to work for us all in previous version !!

It's not rocket science !! 

I find the whole issue with these Discs leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth after recommending these to friends.

Sorry @foz, my situation is better on the current version, not perfect but better, at least my discs now find the strongest signals, I have disabled AP Steering as my Macbook does not like to be steered

Yes and with a firmware option it would be your decision to say on whatever firmware works for you.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 572 of 1,165

@mikew88, I have all my disks on the ground floor in the 4 corners as my WiFi signal travels better vertically so gets upstairs very well but that does not help you needing to connect via Ethernet, you could look at the Edimax WiFi dongle which works really well on 5ghz for the desk top pcs, I totally agree with the comments about Sky Q where I have also disabled it’s 2.4ghz signal as I connect the SKy Q main box via Ethernet into the Sonos playbar
0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 573 of 1,165

I literally don’t know what to do now with these useless things.

• I can’t use the things as they drop out every few minutes.
• I can’t downgrade them because BT are too stupid and/or lazy to make it possible for us to downgrade them. Their silence is deafening.
• I can’t take them back as I bought them through Maplin. Who have gone bust.
• I can’t do a Section 75 refund because I paid through flipping PayPal
• I can’t claim it through PayPal as it’s been over 180 days.
• I can’t sell them on eBay, as that firstly means lumping the problem onto some other poor soul, but also if they experience the same issues and complain to ebay i’ll end up dipping out. (Also the box they came in is the size of a small car so the postage would be insane)

I emailed BT asking for help.... they told me to go back to Maplin! Hey BT support, got a good TV show you ought to check out some time, it’s called ‘The News’.

I might just have to accept that BT have well and truely screwed me over. Well done. You’ve fleeced £200 off of me. Congrats.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 574 of 1,165

Thanks, I'll consider the dongles if things ever get too bad (the kids just need reasonable bb speed and ethernet into disc is delivering so far, as long as not a lot of simultaneous usage, but that is a bb issue not WH), but for now it all generally works. Wife unlikely to let me have 4 discs downstairs, bad enough two! All my devices seem to use 5ghz so I do have to battle Sky Q, but the channel change seems to have worked and Sky Q mini now very stable too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 575 of 1,165

I don't understand why we are having this angst regarding firmware update.

My two dishes are on the latest build and I couldn't be happier.  I've now got the most stable and strong WiFi we have ever had in our property.  Full marks to BT for an excellent product and an excellent price.

BTW if you have the option of connecting one of your other dishes by Ethernet then doing so really boosts the system.  It takes care of the 'back haul' thus not taking resources from other devices.  I routed my second Ethernet connected dish via a 'homeplug' round the back of our TV.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 576 of 1,165

It’s hardly angst! It’s tangable and real issues regarding the latest firmware, causing so many issues that the Excecutive Compliants team now have eyes on it, with BT offering refunds/swap out of defective kit.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 577 of 1,165

Jim-lad, can I just clarify how your second disc set up. So your first (master) disc is connected directly into router as per normal. Your second disc is connected via Ethernet into a home plug. Do you have another homeplug by your router then which is connected via Ethernet to the router? My worry would be I didn’t find homeplugs very good with my previous setup when I used to connect my upstairs pc’s via Ethernet to homeplugs, I got lots of dropouts. Plus I would still have 2 satellite discs to connect by WiFi presumably to the master disc as currently. I really wish when I had my house built 7 years ago that I’d wired Ethernet from my study, where the phone and router have to reside, to every room in the house. Hindsight eh?

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 578 of 1,165

@Jim-lad would connecting an Ethernet from a second disc into a Sonos Ethernet port give the desired effect for Ethernet Blackhaul even though Sonos has its own mesh to connect to the router ?
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 579 of 1,165

Yes @Yorkie29 if it is showing orange then it has chosen the 2.4ghz band, just humour the disc by moving it closer to the disc it is trying to connect to to see if it connects on blue 5ghz.

It's at the edge of a tall bookshelf just inside the room.  Any closer and it would be sitting on the floor in the hallway except then the mains lead wouldn't reach 🙂  As I said it was at 5Ghz for 19 days.  Is there a way to force it to use 5Ghz?

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 580 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

I don't understand why we are having this angst regarding firmware update.

My two dishes are on the latest build and I couldn't be happier.  I've now got the most stable and strong WiFi we have ever had in our property.  Full marks to BT for an excellent product and an excellent price.

BTW if you have the option of connecting one of your other dishes by Ethernet then doing so really boosts the system.  It takes care of the 'back haul' thus not taking resources from other devices.  I routed my second Ethernet connected dish via a 'homeplug' round the back of our TV.

Either troll, very lucky or BT employee LOL

0 Ratings