Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 581 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Not necessarily a troll as I’m also a relatively lucky user who only uses Ethernet backhaul and for a while also had no issues with the latest firmware. Then I started getting discs fall out of the mesh but apparently keep advertising themselves as healthy and with a blue light.

I was in the fortunate position that I had a configured disc turned off and so was able to regress to the previous release.

But for a while I also thought this release worked well for me.
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 582 of 1,165

I found that a single ethernet connected disc worked on the latest firmware without issues for 3 weeks solid.

During that time my 4 satellite discs were all powered off, as when any of them were on nothing worked for more than 12-24 hours.

It might be that ethernet connected discs are fine and the problems only occur when there are wireless backhaul satellite discs involved.

0 Ratings
hawkpd
Message 583 of 1,165

I have to echo what @Jim-lad said to be honest.

I have a two disk setup that I purchased back in January online from the BT shop.  I'm on the latest firmware and aside from the occasional mix up of duplicate devices showing up in the app (easily fixed by renaming them once you work out which is the correct one from the MAC address!) mine has been rock solid with an uptime of 51 days!  WiFi finally extends out into the garden now too!

I have to add that that I have ethernet backhaul which seems to be the key to success.  Master disc is plugged directly into the Sky hub and the secondary disc is via a couple of 8 way Gig switches and CAT5 I have run.  I also have Sky Q but this is cabled and the Sky Q WiFi mesh switched off.

Only big issue I had was about 6 weeks ago when the secondary disc got accidentally unplugged.  It then remained on flashing blue only.  After a lot of reboots of both disks, reset config, etc it finally worked when I just left it for around 20 minutes.  Seemed to take this amount of time to get an IP address from the Sky router...weird.

So all in all its working great but I daren't unplug it or run any future firmware upgrades - if they happen!

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 584 of 1,165

WIth only two dishes the problems probably don't surface.  As far as I can see the problems occur with three or more disks. A two disk system can hardly be described as a mesh, not withstanding the debate as to whether the BT system is a mesh or not.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 585 of 1,165

I have a 3 disc and a two disc system. The first 3 disc system works fine however when I try to extend it with the additional two disc system that’s when I see the issues occur. What coverage I get works well however I really need to other disks to work do provide better signal throughout both floors of the house.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 586 of 1,165

Surely the whole point is not to have to use ethernet and homeplugs and CAT5 cabling round the house...aren't we trying to establish a wireless mesh network, instead of wired access points? Anyway, I don't know what I have really, it's not a mesh network but rather I think it's 3 wireless access points, which definitely gives me better wifi coverage at parts of my house the routeron it's own didn't reach well, and works better than homeplugs ever did. Might not be what WH is supposed to do, but it seems to work...whether that's working as well as it could I don't know. Perhaps it depends on the size of your house, distance between discs etc...maybe the range of each disc isn't strong enough? Is there an optimal or max distance between discs for the mesh to be created, after which it just doesn't work?

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 587 of 1,165

@Joe1971I don't see why more discs cause a problem...I got 2 x 2 disc packs as Amazon had those at the same price as the 3 disc system. Aren't all the discs just the same, it's not like their is a special master disc in each pack..must admit I've not tried running with less than 4 for any length of time though. I always assumed my 4th disc had an occasional dropout because of the distance it was away from the router disc.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 588 of 1,165

@mikew88, my thoughts exactly and having read up on it before hand there should be no reason why it can’t be done. All I know is that the additional discs when added to the original 3 disc pack works for a few days and then the network connectivity issues happen again. When I switch of the additional discs it’s all good again.

I have asked support as to whether there could be a difference with chipsets, like a type A and type B chipset from multiple manufacturers but haven’t heard anything back yet.
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 589 of 1,165

@Joe1971I don't see why more discs cause a problem...I got 2 x 2 disc packs as Amazon had those at the same price as the 3 disc system. Aren't all the discs just the same, it's not like their is a special master disc in each pack..must admit I've not tried running with less than 4 for any length of time though. I always assumed my 4th disc had an occasional dropout because of the distance it was away from the router disc.

I too have 2x2 disk packs.  I don't think the problem is with the disks as such, rather the software.  My guess is that a matched pair (or three pack) is just that - 'matched' at the factory.  Adding another 'matched pair' requires that the software changes the firmware in the second pair (or separately bought single) to align with the first pair and therein lies the 'flakyness' of the software. It's basically a kludge that sort of worked but later releases messed up this kludge.  Just my guess.  Other ideas welcome 🙂

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 590 of 1,165

I'd highly doubt the "matched pair" theory, given that extra discs are sold separately. Now, if not all discs are on the same firmware, that might be an issue.
0 Ratings