cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 591 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

All discs on the same firmware. Without fail when I add another disc, the original 3 pack start having issues. When I use just the original 3 pack it’s super stable.

I can’t pretend to know why, however before I realised what the cause of the issue was, only turning off the master i.e. the disc plugged into the Sky Q router, fixes the issue despite blue lights on each. Now the additional discs are off I have no network connectivity issues, just the range issue I bought the other two discs to counter.
0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 592 of 1,165

I'm running six discs which comprise a 3 pack set-up plus 3 individual add-on discs.

Each disc is connected to an ethernet point and I have good strong wifi all over the house on the same SSID.  I'm still running v1.02.03 build03 and just happened to check to see if the new firmware I was being offered via the IOS app was okay.

I haven't read all 60 pages of this thread but I gather v1.02.04 build10 is worth a miss at this point?

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 593 of 1,165

60 pages is the clue 😞 Definitely worth not upgrading
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 594 of 1,165

@Joe1971 

@Joe1971wrote:
All discs on the same firmware. Without fail when I add another disc, the original 3 pack start having issues. When I use just the original 3 pack it’s super stable.

I can’t pretend to know why, however before I realised what the cause of the issue was, only turning off the master i.e. the disc plugged into the Sky Q router, fixes the issue despite blue lights on each. Now the additional discs are off I have no network connectivity issues, just the range issue I bought the other two discs to counter.

Joe, I know your pain...the vagaries of WiFi and broadband are just illogical sometimes, so I’ve given up trying to work it all out. To quasi paraphrase Brian Fantana from Anchorman, “90% of the time it works every time”. My WH is actually pretty solid all of the time. I also doubt the matched pair theory...that would not make any commercial sense (but hey, it’s BT we’re talking about here). I’d try using just a matched pair to test your theory but I’ve no idea now which two came together. You gotta laugh or you’d cry eh? Mine has been absolutely fine today...it must know I’m talking about it lol.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 595 of 1,165

@agaskewwrote:
60 pages is the clue 😞 Definitely worth not upgrading

@agaskew ...and 20 of those are about the Orbi or TP link systems 😴 Just kidding fellas, it’s great to read about other options and peoples experiences.

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 596 of 1,165

"I’d try using just a matched pair to test your theory but I’ve no idea now which two came together. "

You can tell from the plastic 'password' thingy on the back of each disk.  The matching pairs have identical details.

Highlighted
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 597 of 1,165

@Yorkie29wrote:

"I’d try using just a matched pair to test your theory but I’ve no idea now which two came together. "

You can tell from the plastic 'password' thingy on the back of each disk.  The matching pairs have identical details.

Ah yes...of course

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 598 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

Jim-lad, can I just clarify how your second disc set up. So your first (master) disc is connected directly into router as per normal. Your second disc is connected via Ethernet into a home plug. Do you have another homeplug by your router then which is connected via Ethernet to the router? My worry would be I didn’t find homeplugs very good with my previous setup when I used to connect my upstairs pc’s via Ethernet to homeplugs, I got lots of dropouts. Plus I would still have 2 satellite discs to connect by WiFi presumably to the master disc as currently. I really wish when I had my house built 7 years ago that I’d wired Ethernet from my study, where the phone and router have to reside, to every room in the house. Hindsight eh?

Yes that's exactly right.  The master dish is connected to the Home Hub which in turn has one of its gigabit ports connected to a Home Plug network.  I'm currently using TP-Link Home Plugs as an upgrade from the Devolo which I bought many years ago.  They are a good deal cheaper than the Devolo and work just as well.

What I found when both dishes registered 'excellent connection' (Home Plug in use) was my devices shared themselves between each dish fairly evenly, whereas with just one dish registering 'excellent' and the other 'good' a number of devices would gravitate to the 'master dish' meaning an uneven distribution.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 599 of 1,165

@Steve59wrote:
@Jim-ladwould connecting an Ethernet from a second disc into a Sonos Ethernet port give the desired effect for Ethernet Blackhaul even though Sonos has its own mesh to connect to the router ?

Well unless you're Sonos is pretty old then Sonos no longer use the 'Bridge' device and no longer support it.  I know because I have Sonos and the 'Bridge' which created their Mesh network has been gathering dust in my loft for a number of years.  The Sonos now uses ordinary WiFi

You would need to have a Ethernet switch into which your dish plugged into the switch along with the Sonos.  You would then need a very long Ethernet cable (depending on where your router is) or a Home Plug setup.  

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 600 of 1,165

Jim_lad, How is the wireless speed? When I used home plugs to provide WiFi upstairs, the best I got was 40 meg download speed. With the BT discs (only the master is connected to the router by ethernet) I get 200 everywhere.
0 Ratings