Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 611 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Yorkie29wrote:

"When I connected the second pack of discs to the “”master” disc from the first pack via Ethernet to set them up, they auto updated to the new firmware anyway. So unless you knew not to let them do that, and I didn’t , all discs should be on same firmware."

You should connect the second set via Ethernet to your router - not the first disk.  That was probably your problem.

Sorry, I meant connect to router via Ethernet as per the app instructions....the point being the firmware on all discs was updated to the same new version

0 Ratings
tsr2
Contributor
Message 612 of 1,166

@Jim-ladwrote:

Please don't insult me.  I'm neither a troll or have any connection with BT past or present.

You might not think you're a troll, but posting a message that boils down to "It works for me and the rest of you should stop whining" is going be viewed by most people as trolling.

agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 613 of 1,166

ignore

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 614 of 1,166

@Jim-ladwrote:

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

I don't understand why we are having this angst regarding firmware update.

My two dishes are on the latest build and I couldn't be happier.  I've now got the most stable and strong WiFi we have ever had in our property.  Full marks to BT for an excellent product and an excellent price.

BTW if you have the option of connecting one of your other dishes by Ethernet then doing so really boosts the system.  It takes care of the 'back haul' thus not taking resources from other devices.  I routed my second Ethernet connected dish via a 'homeplug' round the back of our TV.

Either troll, very lucky or BT employee LOL

Please don't insult me.  I'm neither a troll or have any connection with BT past or present.  I don't consider I'm lucky either.  The simple truth is a have gone to the trouble of making sure the dishes are set to the optimum. 

I'm also one of those people that's never had any issues with a Windows computer, never a BSOD or similar event and been using Windows since 3.1.  I also have a Mac which has never given me a moments trouble.  So, I'm either extremely lucky or I know what I'm doing round tech.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

I sell approx.. 10-15 routers a week, I've been in IT all my life, i was 50 last week, so i think I’ve been around the block.
In all honesty these disc’s should pretty much work out of the box, with very little configuring for the average customer to do with a step through wizard.
I can only think the hardware must be different, if some are working fine without issues, there must be some factor we’re missing.
Seems very odd to me that most people that are having issues on this latest firmware previous firmware worked fine, yet people that had issues on the previous firmware say its working fine on this.. so somewhere there is a difference!!
It simply not a configuration issue, it may help make them be slightly more stable by manually configuring them with certain tweaks but there should really be no need especially when on previous firmware they were so stable.
We’re not here to fall out, forums are here to help each other, my apologies if I offended you.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 615 of 1,166

@Steve59wrote:
@Jim-lad, I meant how the discs connect to each other not the devices, orange, disc is connected to another disc using 2.4, if blue then 5, which ever the disc is using the devices will connect either 2.4 or 5 depending on distance and whether they have the option of both bands

As for Sonos, you are kind of correct in that the bridge is no longer sold, it has been replaced by the boost which either is required if using a sub, anyhow the sonos mesh is better than using the Wi-fi connection, so back to my question as i have a mesh/bridge will connecting a disc to it act as the Ethernet backhaul.

I don't think you are correct re: your understanding of the disc colours.  Orange means whilst the connection is okay it would benefit from trying it in another location.  It has nothing to do with wavebands.

Regarding the Sonos.  No, I can't see how that would work. You would need to connect your dish to the Sonos but then your Sonos would need to be connected to your network 'via ethernet'.  The reason for connecting the dish using Ethernet is so the 'back haul' goes over the Ethernet cable not over WiFi.

From the manual - 

Connection Status (Orange)
Your disc is working okay, ideally
try moving the disc closer to the
disc connected to your
hub/router.

Connection Status (Blue)
Good Wi-Fi or Ethernet
connection. All is working well

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 616 of 1,166

@tsr2wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

Please don't insult me.  I'm neither a troll or have any connection with BT past or present.

You might not think you're a troll, but posting a message that boils down to "It works for me and the rest of you should stop whining" is going be viewed by most people as trolling.

I'm sorry but I thought I had written - 'I don't understand this angst regarding the firmware'.  That means I didn't/don't understand what the issues are.  I have viewed my other posts and cannot find a post/comment where I say 'it works for me, you should stop your whining'.

Perhaps you might have the good grace to review 'your comment'.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 617 of 1,166

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

My two dishes are on the latest build and I couldn't be happier.  I've now got the most stable and strong WiFi we have ever had in our property.  Full marks to BT for an excellent product and an excellent price.

BTW if you have the option of connecting one of your other dishes by Ethernet then doing so really boosts the system.  It takes care of the 'back haul' thus not taking resources from other devices.  I routed my second Ethernet connected dish via a 'homeplug' round the back of our TV.

Please don't insult me.  I'm neither a troll or have any connection with BT past or present.  I don't consider I'm lucky either.  The simple truth is a have gone to the trouble of making sure the dishes are set to the optimum. 

I'm also one of those people that's never had any issues with a Windows computer, never a BSOD or similar event and been using Windows since 3.1.  I also have a Mac which has never given me a moments trouble.  So, I'm either extremely lucky or I know what I'm doing round tech.

I sell approx.. 10-15 routers a week, I've been in IT all my life, i was 50 last week, so i think I’ve been around the block.
In all honesty these disc’s should pretty much work out of the box, with very little configuring for the average customer to do with a step through wizard.
I can only think the hardware must be different, if some are working fine without issues, there must be some factor we’re missing.
Seems very odd to me that most people that are having issues on this latest firmware previous firmware worked fine, yet people that had issues on the previous firmware say its working fine on this.. so somewhere there is a difference!!
It simply not a configuration issue, it may help make them be slightly more stable by manually configuring them with certain tweaks but there should really be no need especially when on previous firmware they were so stable.
We’re not here to fall out, forums are here to help each other, my apologies if I offended you.

One area where I think the instruction manual is just plain wrong is regarding your existing router.  The instructions simply say - To ensure your devices always connect to your new WholeHome Wi-Fi network, follow the app instructions to “forget your old network”. 

To my mind this can cause issues that the average user may struggle to understand.  If you leave the routers WiFi switched on then it can end up competing with your discs and cripple peformance.  I tried this as an experiment when I first set up the discs.  A number of devices were struggling to connect to the WholeHome or at best the speeds were poor.  I even had my printer reconnect with the Home Hub even though I had deleted the entries.

As soon as I switched off both WiFi bands in the Home Hub router the performance and reliabilty of WholeHome improved dramatically.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 618 of 1,166

I totally agree with disabling the WiFi on any existing router when using other distributed AP's like WholeHome.  Although it would seem logical that BT should have developed both the HomeHub and WholeHome to work together cooperatively considering they "own" both products.

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 619 of 1,166

@Jim-ladwrote:

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

One area where I think the instruction manual is just plain wrong is regarding your existing router.  The instructions simply say - To ensure your devices always connect to your new WholeHome Wi-Fi network, follow the app instructions to “forget your old network”. 

To my mind this can cause issues that the average user may struggle to understand.  If you leave the routers WiFi switched on then it can end up competing with your discs and cripple peformance.  I tried this as an experiment when I first set up the discs.  A number of devices were struggling to connect to the WholeHome or at best the speeds were poor.  I even had my printer reconnect with the Home Hub even though I had deleted the entries.

As soon as I switched off both WiFi bands in the Home Hub router the performance and reliabilty of WholeHome improved dramatically.

i totally agree, first thing i did was disable my Draytek wlan, cross modulation/overlapping channels can cause all sorts of issues.  You'll never get a seamless mesh network working correctly while also using a router wlan with any make of discs as far as i am concerned.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 620 of 1,166

@RS4wrote:

I totally agree with disabling the WiFi on any existing router when using other distributed AP's like WholeHome.  Although it would seem logical that BT should have developed both the HomeHub and WholeHome to work together cooperatively considering they "own" both products.

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.

You could well be right regarding your assessment.  I noted in a couple of the 'professional reviews' of WholeHome comments such as 'not instructing users to switch off the routers WiFi is crazy'.  I wholeheartedly agree with such comments. 

To my mind not doing so simply creates a rod for BTs customer service backs when people phone up to complain their WholeHome is not working as expected.

0 Ratings