cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siwhite
Contributor
709 Views
Message 621 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@RS4wrote:

[snip]

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.


I thought that - but actually, and surprisingly, even with (let's say 'internal') wifi switched off I'm still broadcasting BTWifi-with-FON and  BTWifi-X.  2018-05-10_11-17-01.png

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
700 Views
Message 622 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@siwhitewrote:

@RS4wrote:

[snip]

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.


I thought that - but actually, and surprisingly, even with (let's say 'internal') wifi switched off I'm still broadcasting BTWifi-with-FON and  BTWifi-X.  2018-05-10_11-17-01.png


That's interesting - I wonder how that's being achieved?  At least it confirms that you can disable WiFi without it impeding other router services.

0 Ratings
Reply
siwhite
Contributor
692 Views
Message 623 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Jim-ladwrote:

@siwhitewrote:

@RS4wrote:

[snip]

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.


I thought that - but actually, and surprisingly, even with (let's say 'internal') wifi switched off I'm still broadcasting BTWifi-with-FON and  BTWifi-X.  2018-05-10_11-17-01.png


That's interesting - I wonder how that's being achieved?  At least it confirms that you can disable WiFi without it impeding other router services.


Absolutely no idea tbh. I've just gone back to using the home hub and was surprised to see the BT services in my wifi list.

2018-05-10_11-33-03.png

0 Ratings
Reply
RS4
Contributor
683 Views
Message 624 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Perhaps it just shows that the customer does not have the degree of control over the BT router that they expect/assume!

It seems that BT attitude is that they are masters over these products and the customer is only a user.

My HomeHub was version 3 I believe, and back then it certainly did not continue to transmit anything once I had disabled WiFi.  But that is a long time ago now, and I have not used a BT router for many a year (instead CISCO now Ubiquiti USG).  Personally, and for work/professional reasons, I want to be in control of my equipment.

0 Ratings
Reply
spiderlane
Contributor
679 Views
Message 625 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Just to add my experiences of the firmware into this thread. 

The discs were pretty stable for me at first after the new firmware and improved my Nest camera connection reliabilty. However after a few weeks the stability started to deteriorate and now I one of the following 3 failure types at various intervals 

1. Disc will show as blue on the app but will kick off all the devices and not allow any more to connect (rebooting this disc solves it)

2. Disc will show as blue on the app and devices are shown as connected but they cannot connect to the internat (rebooting this disc solves it)

3. Discs reboot themselves at random intervals. Discs won't stay up for more than about 14 days before deciding to reboot themselves for no apparent reason. Some discs will restart every few days and I just caught 2 discs restarting themslves at the same time just now as I started writing this (uptime showing 4m51s and 4m52s)

In addition to these failure cases, it kicks my Nest cameras off the wifi from time to time which is pretty useless for security cameras. 

In short, it's a pretty shoddy system all round. I hestitated to purchase a BT device as sadly the name "BT" is a watch word for mediocrity for me, but the reviews we so good, I went against my instincts which turned out to be a mistake.

I've never had any computer hardware which requires so much ongoing manual intervention to keep the basic service running and with firmware fixes only coming about every 3/4 months I have no confidence that stability can be acheived in a reasoable time frame. I'm tyring to avoid it but I may have to change them for something better - sigh.

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
668 Views
Message 626 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@siwhitewrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@siwhitewrote:

@RS4wrote:

[snip]

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.


I thought that - but actually, and surprisingly, even with (let's say 'internal') wifi switched off I'm still broadcasting BTWifi-with-FON and  BTWifi-X.  2018-05-10_11-17-01.png


That's interesting - I wonder how that's being achieved?  At least it confirms that you can disable WiFi without it impeding other router services.


Absolutely no idea tbh. I've just gone back to using the home hub and was surprised to see the BT services in my wifi list.

2018-05-10_11-33-03.png


I have just checked my phone and BT WiFi-with-Fon and BTWiFi-X is present on my network too.  I note that if you opt out of sharing your router then you will also lose access to BT Wifi hotspots.  Not that BT are trying to twist your arm or anything.

0 Ratings
Reply
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
663 Views
Message 627 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Jim-ladwrote:

@siwhitewrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@siwhitewrote:

@RS4wrote:

[snip]

Just speculation, but I bet that the reason the BT WH manual is worded the way it is, is because if BT were to encourage users to disable HomeHub WiFi they would then be shutting down the open/collaborative networks such as BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X, which BT need at least as a marketing angle against Sky/Cloud etc, thus effectively shooting themselves in the feet.


I thought that - but actually, and surprisingly, even with (let's say 'internal') wifi switched off I'm still broadcasting BTWifi-with-FON and  BTWifi-X.  2018-05-10_11-17-01.png


That's interesting - I wonder how that's being achieved?  At least it confirms that you can disable WiFi without it impeding other router services.


Absolutely no idea tbh. I've just gone back to using the home hub and was surprised to see the BT services in my wifi list.

2018-05-10_11-33-03.png


I have just checked my phone and BT WiFi-with-Fon and BTWiFi-X is present on my network too.  I note that if you opt out of sharing your router then you will also lose access to BT Wifi hotspots.  Not that BT are trying to twist your arm or anything.


I'm with Virgin Media, and their WiFi Hotspots don't work at all as far as I can tell.  Not much of a choice, is it...

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
655 Views
Message 628 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@spiderlanewrote:

Just to add my experiences of the firmware into this thread. 

The discs were pretty stable for me at first after the new firmware and improved my Nest camera connection reliabilty. However after a few weeks the stability started to deteriorate and now I one of the following 3 failure types at various intervals 

1. Disc will show as blue on the app but will kick off all the devices and not allow any more to connect (rebooting this disc solves it)

2. Disc will show as blue on the app and devices are shown as connected but they cannot connect to the internat (rebooting this disc solves it)

3. Discs reboot themselves at random intervals. Discs won't stay up for more than about 14 days before deciding to reboot themselves for no apparent reason. Some discs will restart every few days and I just caught 2 discs restarting themslves at the same time just now as I started writing this (uptime showing 4m51s and 4m52s)

In addition to these failure cases, it kicks my Nest cameras off the wifi from time to time which is pretty useless for security cameras. 

In short, it's a pretty shoddy system all round. I hestitated to purchase a BT device as sadly the name "BT" is a watch word for mediocrity for me, but the reviews we so good, I went against my instincts which turned out to be a mistake.

I've never had any computer hardware which requires so much ongoing manual intervention to keep the basic service running and with firmware fixes only coming about every 3/4 months I have no confidence that stability can be acheived in a reasoable time frame. I'm tyring to avoid it but I may have to change them for something better - sigh.

Cheers

Mark


I take it you have switched off the WiFi on your router and that none of your previous WiFi devices are still listed in the router.  Not doing this really can cause issues.

In your postion, what I would do is start from scratch again, not just reboot, but start as a 'new system user'.  I know it's a pain putting in all your passwords but it could be well worth it in the long run.

0 Ratings
Reply
tsr2
Contributor
646 Views
Message 629 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Jim-ladwrote:


You might not think you're a troll, but posting a message that boils down to "It works for me and the rest of you should stop whining" is going be viewed by most people as trolling.


I'm sorry but I thought I had written - 'I don't understand this angst regarding the firmware'.  That means I didn't/don't understand what the issues are.  I have viewed my other posts and cannot find a post/comment where I say 'it works for me, you should stop your whining'.

Perhaps you might have the good grace to review 'your comment'.


It's down to how that phrase is interpreted. The tone of these things can be hard to interpret and you may not have meant it to be dismissive of the very real issues people are having, but that's how it comes across to me.

When you say you don't understand what the issues are, that suggests you simply haven't read the thread.

If you've read about the very real issues people are having and say "I dont understand the angst" that has a very strong implication of "you are just whining". I have re-read your post several times and it comes across that you have no empathy for people whose kit is performing very badly, very many of whom had no issues before the firmware was  updated and the comments about never having had issues with things that have caused other people grief comes across as quite smug.

I appreciate from your response that that is probably not what you intended, but it still reads that way to me.

Dean007
Recognised Expert
563 Views
Message 630 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@siwhite

Had you disabled BT WiFi previously or just your wireless network ?

0 Ratings
Reply