Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 631 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Dean007wrote:

@siwhite

Had you disabled BT WiFi previously or just your wireless network ?

I have only switched off my routers WiFi.  You have to go into your personal dashboard to disable BTWiFi-Fon.  However, if you do this then you can no longer use the BTWiFi network when you are out and about, so the answer you seek is NO, I haven't disabled BTWiFi-Fon.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 632 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Dean007wrote:

@siwhite

I have only switched off my routers WiFi.  You have to go into your personal dashboard to disable BTWiFi-Fon.  However, if you do this then you can no longer use the BTWiFi network when you are out and about, so the answer you seek is NO, I haven't disabled BTWiFi-Fon.

Not sure thats the case regarding not able to use BT Wifi outside your LAN, it may tell you that, i've never used BT HomeHubs/equipment in my life, I've always used a good quality modem/router on ADSL and VDSL, but i was always able to use BT WiFi Network when outside my LAN, i moved to Plusnet  buisness 2 years back (for fixed IP's) so i cant say 100% thats still tha case but for sure you could prior to me moving ISP's

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 633 of 1,165

Well if you go into the online BT Dashboard, your account and your extras that is where the option to turn off BTWiFi-Fon is. As soon as you click on the option to switch it off you receive a warning about the consequences of doing so i.e. you will lose access to free WiFi.

I can't say more than that.
0 Ratings
Message 634 of 1,165

Hi @Benjaminleo Do you still have a proof of purchase? If you bought them over 180 days ago then that was before Maplin went into administration. Post back and let me know.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 635 of 1,165

@Dean007wrote:

@siwhite

@Dean007 In my mind, I ‘disabled’ all Wi-Fi by switching the radios off.  It seems that that’s not the case.  I’m not that bothered tbh. I posted that as more of an observation really 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 636 of 1,165

@Jim-lad

I’ve had BT Wi-fi switched off for almost 12 months and still get to use BT Wi-fi when I’m out and about. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 637 of 1,165

Thing is it costs the customer nothing to share your connection with BT it's totally secure and improves WiFi when out and about for everyone. I have left this feature switched on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 638 of 1,165

@JohnC2yes it was over 180 days ago, but as far as they are concerned all returns are null and void. I emailed them and they have said in order to get any kind of refund I would have to apply to their administrators, and even if I was considered for a payout (which isn’t guaranteed at all) I would potentially only get but a fraction of my money back.
0 Ratings
DavR0s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 639 of 1,165

So is the consensus that if you plug wired Ethernet into each disc then it addresses the worst disconnection problems being suffered under the latest firmware release ?
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 640 of 1,165

I can confirm that having a single disc that was connected via Ethernet and no other discs at all, just a single disc, was stable for me for 3 weeks before I replaced the lot with Ubiquiti.

In answer to your question, unfortunately I never tried with more than one disc having Ethernet connections.

My “hunch” is that the problems are caused by the wireless backhaul between the discs OR problems occur when there are multiple discs managing the wireless network backhaul topology.

With this in mind and based on my limited 3 week success when running only a single disc, it may well be that running multiple discs ALL with Ethernet connections, may be more stable.
0 Ratings