cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 641 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I run multiple discs all with Ethernet backhaul. I suspect they more stable but do still suffer from the same issues of discs dropping out of the mesh but the mesh not realising with this firmware.
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 642 of 1,165

@brummygit that info, and assuming that my single disc would have remained stable beyond 3 weeks, suggests the problems are caused by the presence of more than one disc; ie it’s all about the interaction of multiple discs. 

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 643 of 1,165

I would expect that you are in a minority as it’s primary function is a mesh wireless system, but yes it seems to loose sight of a disc and that disc doesn’t seem to realise that it’s temporarily lost its membership of the mesh
0 Ratings
AndrewH13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 644 of 1,165

I bought 2-disc pack a month ago and had no disc trouble so far. Initially placed one upstairs, one downstairs but coverage at back of house and in garden poor. Now one each end of house, and has pretty good coverage, certainly better than with my Sky (non Q) router/hub. The existing two, I updated immediately not knowing of problems! Was about the buy a 2nd pack for upstairs when I came acrosss this thread, so managing with two and will play safe until the (hopeful) firmware update or rollback.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 645 of 1,165

@brummygit perhaps I wasn’t clear. I had 5 x discs, single disc connected via Ethernet, suffering dropouts etc needing the discs to be power cycled twice a day. Totally unusable.
During my diagnostics of the problems, trying to get any kind of stable Wi-Fi for the family, having only a single disc connected by Ethernet was the only way I could keep Wi-Fi operating without apparent problems.
Sure I lost coverage, after all that is why I had 5x discs. But 1x disc working was better than 5x discs not working.
I had 5x discs and required the wireless backhaul capability to allow flexible placement of the discs to provide the coverage I needed. But now I have replaced the BT discs with only 2x UniFi AP-HD providing the same coverage. I have now extended this with the addition of a UniFi outdoor mesh AP for better outdoor coverage.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sheppy124
Beginner
Message 646 of 1,165

From experience since the update, they are in the cupboard and not using.

spent a day messing around with them testing and my devices will connect to whichever disc it deems the best, or even all on one disc, no problem no issue with that. The problem is then when they decides to move them, again in theory shouldn’t be a problem.

however this is the issue on mine when it does this, it takes the network down, as all the devices are getting disconnected, then re-connected again after the moves.  As I type I am also thinking is it then asking for new ip addresses from the system again, there is obviously soon kind of bottleneck or not enough temporary memory being allocated to cope with lots of changes at the same time.

which device is allocating ip addresses, is it the main router or bt one, I might try to see I can allocate a fixed IP address from the pool to each device to see if this a workaround. 

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 647 of 1,165

@DavR0swrote:
So is the consensus that if you plug wired Ethernet into each disc then it addresses the worst disconnection problems being suffered under the latest firmware release ?

@DavR0s It may be, but seems to be different results for different people. I can’t ethernet my satellite discs back to the router either directly or via homeplugs, because the discs only have one Ethernet port and I use that port to connect a device on each disc, 2 pc’s and a PS4. So I’m stuck with WiFi, but since doing a complete factory reset on everything, switching off the router’s own WiFi, and changing the WH 5ghz channel to 48, my system has been very stable. I still don’t get any form of mesh as all my discs connect directly to the main router-connected disc.

0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 648 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:
[SNIP]

With this in mind and based on my limited 3 week success when running only a single disc, it may well be that running multiple discs ALL with Ethernet connections, may be more stable.

I concur.  I have 6 discs all connected to Ethernet.  All stable so far.  I say 'so far' because the disc firmware only updated to the new version two days ago.  This was a surprise to me since I had, and still have, "auto-update" disabled.  Yet here we are.

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 649 of 1,165

RS4 - Having a single disk is not a mesh system.  Not sure why you bothered. A simple wifi extender would have done the job at half the price.

0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 650 of 1,165

All,

Just to close off on what I posted earlier.  Orbi, my chosen repleacement for the disks, now stable with zero drop outs for over a week.  Based on this I have decided to stay with orbi and return all six BT disks.  Amazon were great and even though I bought my first pack of disks in July last year agreed to a full refund as they are well aware of the firmware issue.

It is a real shame.  To be clear the disks were great until the firmware changed.  it was that simple.  Before, they worked and worked well and after they kept dropping out and devices didnt get internet access.

Orbi needed 2 satelites in my house but I am now getting slightly higher download speeds of 35mbps vs 30mbps with the disks from BT.

Regards

Josh

0 Ratings