cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 671 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I personally will never purchase or recommend any BT badged equipment ever again after this saga. I am still amazed that a company of BT stature don't apear to care about there customers. I expected a fix to these problems by now or a statement explaining what the problem is. Disgraceful BT in my opinion.
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 672 of 1,165

Just lifted one of my disks a couple of inches to dust underneath it and it instantly went from blue to orange, halting a download to my Sky box.  Tried rebooting sik but it stayed orange. Fifteen minutes later it mysteriously reset itself to blue.  Flakey or what?

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 673 of 1,165

@foz, interestingly the chap from the executive complaints team has said that the product team want to swap all 5 of my discs out, even though my original 3 disc set function fine.

Makes me think immediately that there is no firmware fix in sight, or (although I have no indication that this is the case, just speculating) there is some sort of hardware component issue, possibly firmware issues between different manufacturer components.

They have said they won’t leave me without discs, the swap would be same day and I’d hand the old ones back after I get the new ones, but it now worries me that potentially they’re swapping these out for ones with the older firmware but no longer supporting them going forward due to these issue, leaving them obsolete.

Once again, I have no indication this is the case, just a feeling I’m getting about this kit.
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 674 of 1,165

What that signifies to me is the dish was/is sited in a borderline poor reception area. The act of you lifting it means your physicality was enough to tip the disc over the digital cliff.
As you rightly observed once you placed it back down the disc returned to a blue status.

This is not a firmware problem but a simple site issue. Some of these posts are criticising a good product when the product is not at fault.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 675 of 1,165

Jim-Lad - After all these posts on problems people have experienced after the firmware update you are seriously suggesting the product is not at fault? Unbelievable.

Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 676 of 1,165

JIm-lad... I thought of that but it rather suggests that by some fluke I found the only sweet spot in the room.  However, on initial set up I had a number of suitable places for the disk to be located with a blue light and chose the one that was the most aesthetic which also happened to be closest to Disk 1 that it could be in that room.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 677 of 1,165

@Dave_Fwrote:

Jim-Lad - After all these posts on problems people have experienced after the firmware update you are seriously suggesting the product is not at fault? Unbelievable.

Absolutely correct.  I suspect if I could physically visit all these properties I could have the vast majority sorted in very short order indeed.

The very fact that lot's of us aren't having any issues whatsoever says to me that this is not a firmware issue at all but one of (a) lack of user familiarity by some users (b) setup up issues and (c) when things have gone awry not doing the right things to get the product working again i.e. simply rebooting instead of rebuilding the network afresh. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to family, friends, work colleagues who were pulling their hair out over a faulty computer, calling the manufacturer ill to burn and threatening never to buy their products again.  I don't think I've ever found a hardware issue when they have asked me to fix the machine for them.  It's nearly always been a software conflict and/or incorrect intervention by the user that's been the cause.

I always find that bad news is never well received.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 678 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Dave_Fwrote:

Absolutely correct.  I suspect if I could physically visit all these properties I could have the fast majority sorted in very short order indeed.

The very fact that lot's of us aren't having any issues whatsoever says to me that this is not a firmware issue at all but one of (a) lack of user familiarity by some users (b) setup up issues and (c) when things have gone awry not doing the right things to get the product working again i.e. simply rebooting instead of rebuilding the network afresh. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to family, friends, work colleagues who were pulling their hair out over a faulty computer, calling the manufacturer ill to burn and threatening never to buy their products again.  I don't think I've ever found a hardware issue when they have asked me to fix the machine for them.  It's nearly always been a software conflict and/or incorrect intervention by the user that's been the cause.

Sigh.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 679 of 1,165

@Yorkie29wrote:

JIm-lad... I thought of that but it rather suggests that by some fluke I found the only sweet spot in the room.  However, on initial set up I had a number of suitable places for the disk to be located with a blue light and chose the one that was the most aesthetic which also happened to be closest to Disk 1 that it could be in that room.

Forget the blue light for a minute - what does the app tell you, 'good connection' or 'excellent connection'?  Both will give a blue light, though with a 'good connection' you've no idea how close you may be to the disc turning orange.  I intially put my second disc in a 'good connection' area but as soon as we shut the lounge door or moved in front of it the disc it would turn orange for a couple of minutes.  A quick re-siting of the disc solved the issue.

It's certainly something you should experiment with.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 680 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Dave_Fwrote:

Absolutely correct.  I suspect if I could physically visit all these properties I could have the fast majority sorted in very short order indeed.

Sigh.

Thank you, you've just proved my point.