Forthay
Contributor
Message 681 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Forthaywrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Dave_Fwrote:

Jim-Lad - After all these posts on problems people have experienced after the firmware update you are seriously suggesting the product is not at fault? Unbelievable.

Absolutely correct.  I suspect if I could physically visit all these properties I could have the fast majority sorted in very short order indeed.

The very fact that lot's of us aren't having any issues whatsoever says to me that this is not a firmware issue at all but one of (a) lack of user familiarity by some users (b) setup up issues and (c) when things have gone awry not doing the right things to get the product working again i.e. simply rebooting instead of rebuilding the network afresh. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to family, friends, work colleagues who were pulling their hair out over a faulty computer, calling the manufacturer ill to burn and threatening never to buy their products again.  I don't think I've ever found a hardware issue when they have asked me to fix the machine for them.  It's nearly always been a software conflict and/or incorrect intervention by the user that's been the cause.

I always find that bad news is never well received.

Sigh.

Thank you, you've just proved my point.

Glad to take one for the team if it stops the story you’re peddling and gets us back on track, applying pressure to BT to fix a firmware problem on their consumer product.

Less customers will likely result in the product getting less development and maybe even canned.

The fact they’re willing to replace disc with an earlier firmware kind of tells you something is amiss with the latest release.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 682 of 1,165

BT are simply replacing discs to placate disgruntled customers.  The new disks will update to the latest firmware but will likely be okay because the user will be starting afresh.  
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 683 of 1,165

@Forthay @Jim-lad Gents, I suggest that bickering amongst ourselves isn’t beneficial, we need to be supportive on a forum like this and make suggestions and impart info that can help each other. I have only ever had the new firmware so can’t commrnt on how things used to be, but just because I’m personally not currently having problems doesnt mean they don’t exist. It did take me a few weeks of monitoring this forum, garnishing ideas and tweaking WH settings, repositioning and factory resets until I got things stable. The product may indeed be flawed, and perhaps it isn’t functioning as well as it should, but I’ve no way of knowing this. I’m certainly not getting dropouts and coverage is good, but is the WiFi as quick as it could be? No idea.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 684 of 1,165

Can I just ask another quick question re new router? If I bought a tri band or good dual band modem router to give me extra bandwidth for more devices, would the fact that I effectively make this a modem only by switching off its WiFi and the Wholehome primary disc becomes the router defeat the purpose? Is there no way to get extra bandwidth on the 5ghz channels whilst using the WH?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 685 of 1,165

So @Jim-lad explain why I had a rock solid system since it was released until I applied the most recent firmware. This firmware introduced problems already described and I suffered from frequent issues.

I was in the lucky position to have a single disc turned off with the previous firmware, so was able to regress back a release. This has solved all of my stability problems.

I have over 30 years as an IT professional in both software development and Infrastructure and call tell you that your pompous dismissive attitude is wrong. This firmware release introduced unwanted behaviour which a rollback can reverse.
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 686 of 1,165

If you are using Whole Home there is no way to increase the 5Ghz bandwidth. Certainly buying a new router to disable the Wi-fi will not help with it.

To be honest it uses high bandwidth AC connectivity anyway so should give excellent performance. Mines does.

There are 2 things that will help. Firstly connecting the disks via Ethernet moves the backhaul traffic off the 5Ghz making more available for use. Secondly make sure your devices have AC connectivity as old clients can’t benefit from AC wireless
0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 687 of 1,165

I've had the disc's for about 10 weeks, and had stable periods ranging between 2 days and 5 weeks over that time.
Given people previously had completely stable discs on older firmware, and some with the new too it does suggest that:
a) The new firmware (or the exercise of applying the firmware) has introduced some new bugs and;
b) The physical layout and configuration options for the discs does impact whether the bugs surface at all.

I don't think anyone has figured out exactly what would resolve the issues in terms of layout and config.

Like many, my main concern is no news on progress in resolving the issues from BT.

The fact that they're still allowing the new firmware to be flashed suggests that only a small number of users are actually experiencing faults, otherwise it would be very odd to allow your devices to be deliberately broken so that users could then return them for a refund.
... But this is BT so who knows....?
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 688 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:
If you are using Whole Home there is no way to increase the 5Ghz bandwidth. Certainly buying a new router to disable the Wi-fi will not help with it.

To be honest it uses high bandwidth AC connectivity anyway so should give excellent performance. Mines does.

There are 2 things that will help. Firstly connecting the disks via Ethernet moves the backhaul traffic off the 5Ghz making more available for use. Secondly make sure your devices have AC connectivity as old clients can’t benefit from AC wireless

@brummygit Thanks bg, Ethernet connection not possible as a) too far from router but more pertinently b) need to connect devices to the discs Ethernet ports, old pcs and PS4. Can you explain more what you mean by AC connectivity? All our devices are modern, apart from one old desktops I mentioned. But I was after more bandwidth really so a very modern gaming pc can be used at sane time as streaming something on Sky Q. Always get slowdown on devices when tv streaming, but of course, that could well be my slow bb which varies between 12-30mb and is usually about 25mb. Should I switch WH to compatibility mode?

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 689 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

@brummygit Thanks bg, Ethernet connection not possible as a) too far from router but more pertinently b) need to connect devices to the discs Ethernet ports, old pcs and PS4. Can you explain more what you mean by AC connectivity? All our devices are modern, apart from one old desktops I mentioned. But I was after more bandwidth really so a very modern gaming pc can be used at sane time as streaming something on Sky Q. Always get slowdown on devices when tv streaming, but of course, that could well be my slow bb which varies between 12-30mb and is usually about 25mb. Should I switch WH to compatibility mode?

There are a variety of wireless standards available (a Google of "802.11 ac") might be interesting. The most common are 802.11b which was the original mainstream 2.4Ghz standard and offered up to 11mbps connections. This was replaced from around 2003 with 802.11g at up to 54mbps and then in 2009 with 802.11n at up to 600mbps when the 5Ghz band started to be used. In 2013 802.11ac came along with a number of steps over the years but now offers over 3,500mbps. Over the years computers and mobile devices have supported each of these standards in turn, but especially with the older standards such as 802.11b, the use of these devices would slow the the whole wireless network down.

The BT Whole Home mesh supports 802.11ac 1700 which means you have up to 1,733mbps available on your LAN. The "up to" is important as speed degrades with distance, interference, congestion etc but I would expect that you are still getting significantly more bandwidth on your wifi than your broadband can consume. Even using wifi backhaul you shouldn't have bandwidth issues. This means that unless you are a heavy user of device to device traffic, your wifi shouldn't be the limiting factor. Instead it is likely to be your internet connection.

Don't turn on Compatibility Mode unless you need it, as this is likely to impact speed by removing features of the more recent standards. I don't know quite what settings they are changing because BT are typically not very informative, but I would avoid unless you have devices which won't connect or drop offline regularly.

I suspect I know your problem as its similar to my experience, the good news is its unlikely to be your Whole Home setup at fault. The broadband routers most people have do not actively control how the various devices in your home consume the bandwidth and therefore some devices (sounds like SkyQ in your case) are able to grab what's available at the expense of others. Gaming etc relies on very fast replies (you may hear it described as ping times) and if there is competition for the available broadband bandwidth, the queuing slows everything down. This is compunded by an effect called Buffer Bloat which causes a disproprtionate slow down.

All is not lost however as there are some routers available which provide Quality of Service (QoS) prioritises traffic, and also a better queueing algorithm called fq_codel. I had the same issues and fixed mine by using an Asus router with 3rd party firmware from RMerlin (Asus QoS is broken in their own implementation and doesn't have fq_codel) but this is a solution for someone quite technically minded. I'm not sure what other router options are available off the shelf to help, but it is fixable as long as you appreciate that you can only pass whatever traffic fits your broadband service.

I now have a heavy gaming son, a Netflix obsessed daughter plus a main household which watches Netflix, BT TV and surfs the internet extensively all running happily on a 53mbps broadband connection. Even when my son downloads a new game release which is many gigabytes, eveyone else continues to have normal use.

I'm happy to discuss further but we would need to take it off the Firmware update thread to its own topic as in summary I don't think its an issue with this firmware.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 690 of 1,165

@brummygit Superb reply thanks, you understand my issue completely. Would love to discuss further so I’ll see if I can figure out how to start another topic. Apologies to all for wandering off the firmware subject.

Edit : new topic started called “Improving bandwidth allocation on BT Wholehome”

0 Ratings