cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 691 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Jim-lad. Showing Good connection.  BT helpline stated that you would only get Exellent on Disk 1 with the others showing Good.   I did all the mucki'n about when I installed the things (original and replacements).  As for closing doors etc and losing signal - it was to avoid that that I got these units.  At the moment range, speed and deadspots with four BT disks is barely an improvement on my single Apple Airport Extreme - and that never needed rebooting in six years.  It just sits there doing what it's meant to do.

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 692 of 1,165

Jim-lad

Not true.  The replacement disks come with a slip of paper telling you to turn off auto update and NOT to update when promted.  BT also told me the same on the phone and in email. They know it's the firmware!
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 693 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:
So @Jim-lad explain why I had a rock solid system since it was released until I applied the most recent firmware. This firmware introduced problems already described and I suffered from frequent issues.

I was in the lucky position to have a single disc turned off with the previous firmware, so was able to regress back a release. This has solved all of my stability problems.

I have over 30 years as an IT professional in both software development and Infrastructure and call tell you that your pompous dismissive attitude is wrong. This firmware release introduced unwanted behaviour which a rollback can reverse.

@brummygitwrote:
So @Jim-lad explain why I had a rock solid system since it was released until I applied the most recent firmware. This firmware introduced problems already described and I suffered from frequent issues.

I was in the lucky position to have a single disc turned off with the previous firmware, so was able to regress back a release. This has solved all of my stability problems.

I have over 30 years as an IT professional in both software development and Infrastructure and call tell you that your pompous dismissive attitude is wrong. This firmware release introduced unwanted behaviour which a rollback can reverse.

I'm pretty sure that the issue lies in  the initial firmware update.  What I think may have happened is the disks have failed to carry out a 'proper handshake' with each other, hence why your's has remained stable i.e. you haven't actually upgraded the disks.

This is why I have kept saying a 'simple reboot' probably won't solve the issue.  It needs a complete 'wipe' of the affected network and to restart the process with the disks back to factory condition.

Whilst I may sound pompous to you my attitude is borne out of frustration i.e. users slagging off the product when in reality it's a very good product and I suspect the fix is as I've described.

We also don't know how each person has their individual setup and most importantly their level of tech competence. 

I'll give you an example - I have just spent most of the weekend re-building the system software on a neighbours Windows 10 PC.  The machine was almost unusable when he gave it to me.  He assured me he hadn't been 'messing' with anything the fault had just happened.

I thought, 'right' of course it has.  Sure enough when I started analysing the system I found 'Group Policy' settings had been messed with (how the owner actually came across these is a mystery as they are pretty well hidden').  On discussing the issue further with my neighbour it turns out he had been 'pressing buttons' but he wasn't sure what. I ended up having to carry out a complete reinstall of Windows as it was quicker to do that rather than unpick the problems he had caused.

Similarly with these disks - I'm pretty sure if this issue was widespread then BT would have acted to remedy it.  Why would they want all these complaints plus having to replace disks - they wouldn't.  My motto is 'if in doubt go back to the beginning and start again'.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 694 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

@brummygitwrote:
If you are using Whole Home there is no way to increase the 5Ghz bandwidth. Certainly buying a new router to disable the Wi-fi will not help with it.

To be honest it uses high bandwidth AC connectivity anyway so should give excellent performance. Mines does.

There are 2 things that will help. Firstly connecting the disks via Ethernet moves the backhaul traffic off the 5Ghz making more available for use. Secondly make sure your devices have AC connectivity as old clients can’t benefit from AC wireless

@brummygit Thanks bg, Ethernet connection not possible as a) too far from router but more pertinently b) need to connect devices to the discs Ethernet ports, old pcs and PS4. 

Homeplugs!

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 695 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@brummygitwrote:

@brummygitwrote:

I'm pretty sure that the issue lies in  the initial firmware update.  What I think may have happened is the disks have failed to carry out a 'proper handshake' with each other, hence why your's has remained stable i.e. you haven't actually upgraded the disks.

This is why I have kept saying a 'simple reboot' probably won't solve the issue.  It needs a complete 'wipe' of the affected network and to restart the process with the disks back to factory condition.

Whilst I may sound pompous to you my attitude is borne out of frustration i.e. users slagging off the product when in reality it's a very good product and I suspect the fix is as I've described.

We also don't know how each person has their individual setup and most importantly their level of tech competence. 

I'll give you an example - I have just spent most of the weekend re-building the system software on a neighbours Windows 10 PC.  The machine was almost unusable when he gave it to me.  He assured me he hadn't been 'messing' with anything the fault had just happened.

I thought, 'right' of course it has.  Sure enough when I started analysing the system I found 'Group Policy' settings had been messed with (how the owner actually came across these is a mystery as they are pretty well hidden').  On discussing the issue further with my neighbour it turns out he had been 'pressing buttons' but he wasn't sure what. I ended up having to carry out a complete reinstall of Windows as it was quicker to do that rather than unpick the problems he had caused.

Similarly with these disks - I'm pretty sure if this issue was widespread then BT would have acted to remedy it.  Why would they want all these complaints plus having to replace disks - they wouldn't.  My motto is 'if in doubt go back to the beginning and start again'.

That's all fine and dandy, except you can't roll back the firmware to the previous version or put the disks in to 'factory condition'.  This isn't a PC where you can uninstall things, run a system restore or even wipe and reinstall. 

If pushing reset on the disks then setting up the network again helps some folks (and I hope it does) then that's great, but I doubt it will work consistently for many.  Maybe someone with the problem would be willing to follow this procedure and post their results.  If it proves to be a helpful possibility, cool.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 696 of 1,165

@Yorkie29wrote:

Jim-lad. Showing Good connection.  BT helpline stated that you would only get Exellent on Disk 1 with the others showing Good.   I did all the mucki'n about when I installed the things (original and replacements).  As for closing doors etc and losing signal - it was to avoid that that I got these units.  At the moment range, speed and deadspots with four BT disks is barely an improvement on my single Apple Airport Extreme - and that never needed rebooting in six years.  It just sits there doing what it's meant to do.

Whereas my Apple Airport Extreme would fall over quite regularly (though that was about Time Machine backups rather than the router). 

Our Wifi has gone through the roof since we have installed the disks.  Our microwave oven would knock me off the network almost every time the wife switched it on.  Now, nothing knocks down the  network and the speeds are blisteringly fast.

It's so good and so stable I've actually disconnected many of the devices that were using Ethernet via Homeplugs as I don't need them anymore. 

You will get any disk that is connected via Ethernet showing 'excellent' not just the primary.  Whilst you will only see 'connection good' if not using Ethernet, what you won't know is if the disk is borderline blue or a strong blue.  

Thing is with a couple of Homeplugs in the circuit you can move them around to where your disks are, link them up with Ethernet, which then almost guarantees a fast stable connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 697 of 1,165

There’s a whole bunch of emails earlier in this thread about people doing factory resets and and this not solving things. What worked for me (as someone else posted) was to revert to the previous firmware on all my disks using a spare non-firmware upgraded disk. System pretty stable now - following the firmware upgrade I suddenly started having to reboot around 5 times per day to restore connectivity. And yes I had checked that all disks had the same version of the firmware.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 698 of 1,165

@Yorkie29wrote:

Jim-lad

Not true.  The replacement disks come with a slip of paper telling you to turn off auto update and NOT to update when promted.  BT also told me the same on the phone and in email. They know it's the firmware!

Or just simply covering their backs i.e. belt an braces.  Why are most users not experiencing any issues?  You don't tend to find people go on forums to tell you if something is working well, but they do go on forums to complain if somethings wrong.

From what I can see this issue is only affecting a tiny minority of users.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 699 of 1,165

@Dave_Fwrote:
There’s a whole bunch of emails earlier in this thread about people doing factory resets and and this not solving things. What worked for me (as someone else posted) was to revert to the previous firmware on all my disks using a spare non-firmware upgraded disk. System pretty stable now - following the firmware upgrade I suddenly started having to reboot around 5 times per day to restore connectivity. And yes I had checked that all disks had the same version of the firmware.

You also need to make sure all your devices have 'forgotten the network'.  They must all have a fresh start and I wonder how many folk are ensuring that happens?

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 700 of 1,165

@agaskewwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

That's all fine and dandy, except you can't roll back the firmware to the previous version or put the disks in to 'factory condition'.  This isn't a PC where you can uninstall things, run a system restore or even wipe and reinstall. 

If pushing reset on the disks then setting up the network again helps some folks (and I hope it does) then that's great, but I doubt it will work consistently for many.  Maybe someone with the problem would be willing to follow this procedure and post their results.  If it proves to be a helpful possibility, cool.

Firstly I am 100% certain my firmware update to v1.02.04 build 10 applied. The interface and log file were reporting it as such and you don't just get half an update, or corruption in the updates that leaves them functional except for 1 feature. If you get a corrupted update its more common that the whole thing will crash in a big heap as you are applying a binary image not specific commands which get misinterpetted. Except that these days I can't imagine any tier 1 vendor not looking at a checksum on their firmware image which is downloaded to the device prior to actually applying it - and these updates are applied directly from BTs services just like the millions of BT Homes Hubs out there - BT know what they are doing generally. They also do these check in case you attempt to flash firmware from an incompatible hardware platform as well as error checking on the integrity of the image itself.

It is possible to revert to old firmware in very restricted circumstances. I have 3 discs, but due to building work on my home I have one fully configured disc with v1.02.01 build24 installed, turned off and in a cupboard. When the mesh starts up (in a configured state), the first disc to come online becomes the master (or primary). Subsequent discs then join the mesh network but in order to retain a consistent firmware version, this secondary disc is checked for its software version and updated if necessarily. Luckily for me this includes overwriting the newer software on a secondary disc with an older version from the primary. 

So in my case I switched off the whole mesh, booted my 3rd disc from the cupboard which came online as the primary. I was then able to start each of the other discs in turn and watch in the log as they were updated back to v1.02.01 build24. I then turned off my 3rd disc again and rebooted the mesh on 2 discs back at v1.02.01 build24 in my original configuration. Regression of the firmware solved the instability and my system has been up and running for weeks with no issues again.

So my configuration was never changed, definitely never reset back to factory defaults. The only change was the firmware version on my discs. They weren't even moved as I power them on and off from the sockets due to mounting locations.