Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 701 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Jim-ladwrote:

Homeplugs!

And there starts a whole new debate. Homeplugs work for some people (hence BT supply them for BT TV) but not for many others.

They are highly dependant on the electrical systems in your home. They use the cables as antennas therefore split circuits (eg RCD to non-RCD or split earth systems) can cause mayhem. They are also very prone to electrical noise and interference from motors etc, plus the signal doesn't pass through noise filters on extension leads etc.

In my case I tried them in two different homes and had variable results at best. I had three on the same ring main - 2 worked well and one would drop to 1mbps at best and report poor connections. They now sit unused in a box.

Worth a try if you can try them with no financial risk, but I wouldn't gamble my hard earned on a chance of them working.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 702 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:
BT are simply replacing discs to placate disgruntled customers.  The new disks will update to the latest firmware but will likely be okay because the user will be starting afresh.  

Nope. Per BT support, exchanging discs and turning off firmware updates see their reply (below).

Also, I already tried a complete rebuild. A lot of folks on the thread work in IT myself included.

Keep in mind I’m a customer, and I’m sure there are others, who wants to keep my 6 disc system but my Amazon return window closes at the end of the month and a bad firmware release like this can have a negative effect on a products sales and hence future development and viability.

We’re just looking for regular updates from BT and the firmware issue to be fixed.

you’ll need to switch Auto Updates off in the App and make sure that the disc firmware is not updated manually, you should do this at the end of the installation process. We’ll then let you know when a fix is available and it’s OK to update to new firmware.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 703 of 1,165

"you’ll need to switch Auto Updates off in the App and make sure that the disc firmware is not updated manually, you should do this at the end of the installation process. We’ll then let you know when a fix is available and it’s OK to update to new firmware."
That there sums it up !!!
Doesn't matter what anyone says.... that's it right there
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 704 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@mikew88wrote:

@brummygitwrote:
If you are using Whole Home there is no way to increase the 5Ghz bandwidth. Certainly buying a new router to disable the Wi-fi will not help with it.

To be honest it uses high bandwidth AC connectivity anyway so should give excellent performance. Mines does.

There are 2 things that will help. Firstly connecting the disks via Ethernet moves the backhaul traffic off the 5Ghz making more available for use. Secondly make sure your devices have AC connectivity as old clients can’t benefit from AC wireless

@brummygit Thanks bg, Ethernet connection not possible as a) too far from router but more pertinently b) need to connect devices to the discs Ethernet ports, old pcs and PS4. 

Homeplugs!

@Jim-ladCan't use because need solitary ethernet port on disc to connect device..if discs had two ports I'd be ok.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 705 of 1,165

@mikew88, some home plugs have multiple Ethernet connections on them to enable multiple devices to use them.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 706 of 1,165

@Joe1971wrote:
@mikew88, some home plugs have multiple Ethernet connections on them to enable multiple devices to use them.

@Joe1971 I was thinking I’d connect my device to the WH disc to get best speed, rather than have both the disc and the device out of a homeplug. My experience of homeplugs before WH was very sketchy, maybe my wiring wasn’t the best or something, but constant dropouts is what moved me to WH.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 707 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

Homeplugs!

And there starts a whole new debate. Homeplugs work for some people (hence BT supply them for BT TV) but not for many others.

They are highly dependant on the electrical systems in your home. They use the cables as antennas therefore split circuits (eg RCD to non-RCD or split earth systems) can cause mayhem. They are also very prone to electrical noise and interference from motors etc, plus the signal doesn't pass through noise filters on extension leads etc.

In my case I tried them in two different homes and had variable results at best. I had three on the same ring main - 2 worked well and one would drop to 1mbps at best and report poor connections. They now sit unused in a box.

Worth a try if you can try them with no financial risk, but I wouldn't gamble my hard earned on a chance of them working.

Agreed, though for most people they do work fine.  My sister has them in a old property on a two circuit system without issues.  Our property is a modern design and they 'fly' on decent wiring.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 708 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:
BT are simply replacing discs to placate disgruntled customers.  The new disks will update to the latest firmware but will likely be okay because the user will be starting afresh.  

Nope. Per BT support, exchanging discs and turning off firmware updates see their reply (below).

Also, I already tried a complete rebuild. A lot of folks on the thread work in IT myself included.

Keep in mind I’m a customer, and I’m sure there are others, who wants to keep my 6 disc system but my Amazon return window closes at the end of the month and a bad firmware release like this can have a negative effect on a products sales and hence future development and viability.

We’re just looking for regular updates from BT and the firmware issue to be fixed.

you’ll need to switch Auto Updates off in the App and make sure that the disc firmware is not updated manually, you should do this at the end of the installation process. We’ll then let you know when a fix is available and it’s OK to update to new firmware.

And yet for thousands of us they are working just fine - go figure?  The only variable could be if they have changed the chipset in the discs, i.e. from different manufacturers, though I doubt it as this can cause a real headache when writing firmware code.

Companies making/distributing products like this tend to keep everything the same in order to prevent issues which are currently being aired.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 709 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@mikew88wrote:

@brummygitwrote:
If you are using Whole Home there is no way to increase the 5Ghz bandwidth. Certainly buying a new router to disable the Wi-fi will not help with it.

To be honest it uses high bandwidth AC connectivity anyway so should give excellent performance. Mines does.

There are 2 things that will help. Firstly connecting the disks via Ethernet moves the backhaul traffic off the 5Ghz making more available for use. Secondly make sure your devices have AC connectivity as old clients can’t benefit from AC wireless

@brummygit Thanks bg, Ethernet connection not possible as a) too far from router but more pertinently b) need to connect devices to the discs Ethernet ports, old pcs and PS4. 

Homeplugs!

@Jim-ladCan't use because need solitary ethernet port on disc to connect device..if discs had two ports I'd be ok.

Easily solved.  I use an Ethernet switch which has 8 gigabit ports - cost me about £16.  One lead goes from the switch to the disc another lead goes from the switch to the Ethernet port on the Homeplug.  You have the second Homeplug connected to your router (wherever that is).  Voila, you now have not one but two discs connected by Ethernet.

You could now if you wish scale this up and put a Homeplug near every disc and connect by Ethernet.  Sounds excessive but you would have a very good and stable system.  I was lucky in that I already had Homeplugs plus the Ethernet switch and a couple of spare ports doing nothing.

I just love this WholeHome setup - it's the best wireless experience we have ever had in this property.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 710 of 1,165

@Jim-lad If it works so well for you why are you wasting your time on a thread telling people who are experiencing issues that it’s working fine for you?

Literally. nobody. cares.

Also, plugging in all discs to Ethernet essentially defies the point in the whole system. If I had Ethernet around the home, I’d get some decent ubiquiti APs. Powerline is a ridiculous method, powerline adapters suck. They cripple the speed. If I was happy doing that, I’d buy some powerline wifi extenders for a fraction of the price and be done with it. The whole point is that this is meant to work better than that.