Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 711 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Jim-ladwrote:

And yet for thousands of us they are working just fine - go figure?  The only variable could be if they have changed the chipset in the discs, i.e. from different manufacturers, though I doubt it as this can cause a real headache when writing firmware code.

Companies making/distributing products like this tend to keep everything the same in order to prevent issues which are currently being aired.

There will be many users suffering the problems and not posting on the forums. Probably because they don't know about this forum, don't care enough, or accept that frequent reboots are the solution as many home routers also require regular reboots and this practice sees to have become the norm.

There will be other users who aren't even on v1.02.04 build 10 yet as they haven't bothered to update. The auto-update function was only added in recent releases. Many people have the "If it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality.

To get such a high level of forum noise on a specific firmware release is significant, previous releases didn't generate anywhere near the same levels. At the same time BT have acknowledged the problem and are supplying discs with older firmware with instructions not to upgrade as an interim resolution for people. How can you not believe that there's a problem.

I don't subscribe to the hardware component differences, it's simply software. Bugs happen as a fact of life, and the code logic will be highly complex so variables such as selected radio channels, interference, mesh topology, traffic utilisation, connected devices etc etc mean that no two installations will ever truely be identical.

The issue is that BT are not reacting very well to the problem for a number of reasons - they should give people a way to regress to previous software builds. This is standard in mainsteam IT that you never perform an upgrade without a backout plan, but BT have form for this in terms of the Home Hub where they are also very protective of firmware updates despite a history of bad code which got them in the press yet still took many months to resolve. However BTs biggest crime is simply not communicating and engaging with the forum community well enough - if they took everyone with them on their journey to finding the cause and resolution, people would be much more relaxed and BTs job would probably be much easier. Sadly it's a mistake BT make time and time again.

@Jim-lad wrote:

I just love this WholeHome setup - it's the best wireless experience we have ever had in this property.

This is about the only thing I've found to agree with you on. Mine works brilliantly with the exception of the most recent firmware update. Rolling back returned the same really good experience. It works great and the seamless handoff between APs is really great.

siwhite
Contributor
Message 712 of 1,165

@Benjaminleowrote:
@Jim-ladIf it works so well for you why are you wasting your time on a thread telling people who are experiencing issues that it’s working fine for you?

Literally. nobody. cares.

Also, plugging in all discs to Ethernet essentially defies the point in the whole system. If I had Ethernet around the home, I’d get some decent ubiquiti APs. Powerline is a ridiculous method, powerline adapters suck. They cripple the speed. If I was happy doing that, I’d buy some powerline wifi extenders for a fraction of the price and be done with it. The whole point is that this is meant to work better than that.

@Benjaminleo you might not care but, actually, I do.  @Jim-lad is describing the set-up I'm using and I pleased to hear that it's working. 

Why is powerline "a ridiculous method", and why do "powerline adapters suck".  

2018-05-14_17-03-29.png

This is in a 50-year-old house with 10-year-old wiring.  

All bar one on my disks is connected to ethernet, Three via the powerline plugs shown above, one wifi and one is attached to the router.  I still have a mesh wifi network - I can wander around and stay connected to my wifi without losing the signal or having to connect to a different AP - that's mesh isn't it? A number of access points acting as a ubiquitous network.  

I didn't upgrade the firmware on my disks. After reading through this thread I thought it better not to. But, even with auto update switched off, on Friday morning my disks upgraded themselves anyway.  So, I was getting ready to have a bit of a melt-down here at home because I fully expected things to stop working.  Okay, it's only Monday, but so far so good.  If that's because I'm using ridiculous, sucky powerline adaptors then so be it.  

IMG_4594.jpg

Long may it continue.

foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 713 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:

@agaskewwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

I'm pretty sure that the issue lies in  the initial firmware update.  What I think may have happened is the disks have failed to carry out a 'proper handshake' with each other, hence why your's has remained stable i.e. you haven't actually upgraded the disks.

This is why I have kept saying a 'simple reboot' probably won't solve the issue.  It needs a complete 'wipe' of the affected network and to restart the process with the disks back to factory condition.

Similarly with these disks - I'm pretty sure if this issue was widespread then BT would have acted to remedy it.  Why would they want all these complaints plus having to replace disks - they wouldn't.  My motto is 'if in doubt go back to the beginning and start again'.

That's all fine and dandy, except you can't roll back the firmware to the previous version or put the disks in to 'factory condition'.  This isn't a PC where you can uninstall things, run a system restore or even wipe and reinstall. 

If pushing reset on the disks then setting up the network again helps some folks (and I hope it does) then that's great, but I doubt it will work consistently for many.  Maybe someone with the problem would be willing to follow this procedure and post their results.  If it proves to be a helpful possibility, cool.

Firstly I am 100% certain my firmware update to v1.02.04 build 10 applied. The interface and log file were reporting it as such and you don't just get half an update, or corruption in the updates that leaves them functional except for 1 feature. If you get a corrupted update its more common that the whole thing will crash in a big heap as you are applying a binary image not specific commands which get misinterpetted. Except that these days I can't imagine any tier 1 vendor not looking at a checksum on their firmware image which is downloaded to the device prior to actually applying it - and these updates are applied directly from BTs services just like the millions of BT Homes Hubs out there - BT know what they are doing generally. They also do these check in case you attempt to flash firmware from an incompatible hardware platform as well as error checking on the integrity of the image itself.

It is possible to revert to old firmware in very restricted circumstances. I have 3 discs, but due to building work on my home I have one fully configured disc with v1.02.01 build24 installed, turned off and in a cupboard. When the mesh starts up (in a configured state), the first disc to come online becomes the master (or primary). Subsequent discs then join the mesh network but in order to retain a consistent firmware version, this secondary disc is checked for its software version and updated if necessarily. Luckily for me this includes overwriting the newer software on a secondary disc with an older version from the primary. 

So in my case I switched off the whole mesh, booted my 3rd disc from the cupboard which came online as the primary. I was then able to start each of the other discs in turn and watch in the log as they were updated back to v1.02.01 build24. I then turned off my 3rd disc again and rebooted the mesh on 2 discs back at v1.02.01 build24 in my original configuration. Regression of the firmware solved the instability and my system has been up and running for weeks with no issues again.

So my configuration was never changed, definitely never reset back to factory defaults. The only change was the firmware version on my discs. They weren't even moved as I power them on and off from the sockets due to mounting locations.

Can you clarify, if i was to get a secondhand/used disc with v1.02.01 build24, then make that the master, then by adding my discs with newer FW to the system it will downgrade to the firmware of the master v1.02.01 build24 from v1.02.04 build10?
That's best thing I've read in this thread if that's the case, its been so long since i upgraded i couldn't remember the previous FW version.
Mine were on previous FW very stable and had no complaints about them, in fact i recommended them to friends.
Now if the above is correct i will purchase a disc if i can find one to down grade mine.
LOL do you want to hire one of your out to us all ?

0 Ratings
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 714 of 1,165

Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 715 of 1,165

I asked BT about them selling me a single disc with old firmware, so that I could try this. They said it wouldn't work! Looks like I may have to call them again.
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 716 of 1,165

That's great, and your running v1.02.01 build24 also?

0 Ratings
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 717 of 1,165

Yes v1.02.01 build 24. System has been stable ever since. Can’t use the app as it requires a firmware update but you can manage the system through the web interface instead.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 718 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

Can you clarify, if i was to get a secondhand/used disc with v1.02.01 build24, then make that the master, then by adding my discs with newer FW to the system it will downgrade to the firmware of the master v1.02.01 build24 from v1.02.04 build10?
That's best thing I've read in this thread if that's the case, its been so long since i upgraded i couldn't remember the previous FW version.
Mine were on previous FW very stable and had no complaints about them, in fact i recommended them to friends.
Now if the above is correct i will purchase a disc if i can find one to down grade mine.
LOL do you want to hire one of your out to us all ?

Yes I believe so however you need to be aware of 2 key points:

1. Do NOT connect your newly acquired disk to your network with your other disks powered up. You will get "upgraded" to the latest firmware Smiley Sad
  2. My spare disc is already configured for my network. I think you will need to factory reset your existing discs before switching them off. Then create a brand new configuration on the newly acquired disc. Then add your original discs to that new mesh. 

Sorry, my spare disc is now too valuable to lend out  Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 719 of 1,165

@Benjaminleowrote:
@Jim-ladIf it works so well for you why are you wasting your time on a thread telling people who are experiencing issues that it’s working fine for you?

Literally. nobody. cares.

Also, plugging in all discs to Ethernet essentially defies the point in the whole system. If I had Ethernet around the home, I’d get some decent ubiquiti APs. Powerline is a ridiculous method, powerline adapters suck. They cripple the speed. If I was happy doing that, I’d buy some powerline wifi extenders for a fraction of the price and be done with it. The whole point is that this is meant to work better than that.

You clearly don't understand the concept of using the HomePlugs.  Your wireless devices (however many that is) will be using 'WIRELESS'.  The disks will simply be using the ethernet for the back haul - there will be no crippling of speed.

Ho-hum and all that! 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 720 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

And yet for thousands of us they are working just fine - go figure?  The only variable could be if they have changed the chipset in the discs, i.e. from different manufacturers, though I doubt it as this can cause a real headache when writing firmware code.

Companies making/distributing products like this tend to keep everything the same in order to prevent issues which are currently being aired.

The issue is that BT are not reacting very well to the problem for a number of reasons - they should give people a way to regress to previous software builds. This is standard in mainsteam IT that you never perform an upgrade without a backout plan, 

I'm not sure I would agree with you on the above.  Humax have made a few bloopers with their firmware upgrades.  You can of course revert back by downloading the previous firmware from their website.  However, their PVRs update automatically (no way to stop them short of disconnecting from the Internet) so then next time you switch on you are back on the new firmware again.  That doesn't sound like much of a backout plan to me.

Similarly with both Windows macOS and iOS you now have very little time to change your mind and revert back to the previous OS version.  I could go on but I'm sure you have my point i.e. BT are no worse/better than most other consumer tech companies in this regard.

0 Ratings