Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 721 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@siwhite I'm with you all the way re: your post regarding Homeplugs.  I use the TP ones too, no issues at all but you just can't convince some people.   It's Homeplugs fault, BTs fault, etc. etc.

At the end of the day like you I have my discs connected to the Homeplugs, I'm getting wireless everywhere, so what's not to like.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 722 of 1,165

@foz I would check @siwhite post regarding using the older firmware.  Reading his post he had auto updates switched off but his disks have now updated to the latest build regardless.  So whether the disks will remain on the older firmware longer term seems to be debatable.

Something to consider.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 723 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@foz@ I would check @siwhite post regarding using the older firmware.  Reading his post he had auto updates switched off but his disks have now updated to the latest build regardless.  So whether the disks will remain on the older firmware longer term seems to be debatable.

Something to consider.

v1.02.01 build 24 doesn't have an auto update option at all, so anyone on that release should be safe.

0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 724 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@foz@ I would check @siwhite post regarding using the older firmware.  Reading his post he had auto updates switched off but his disks have now updated to the latest build regardless.  So whether the disks will remain on the older firmware longer term seems to be debatable.

Something to consider.

v1.02.01 build 24 doesn't have an auto update option at all, so anyone on that release should be safe.

That’s good to know. I have to say I was a bit taken aback on Friday when it all happened. 

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 725 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@siwhite I'm with you all the way re: your post regarding Homeplugs.  I use the TP ones too, no issues at all but you just can't convince some people.   It's Homeplugs fault, BTs fault, etc. etc.

At the end of the day like you I have my discs connected to the Homeplugs, I'm getting wireless everywhere, so what's not to like.

I suspect my problem with Homeplugs is due to my circuitry. I had a new house built about 6 years ago and the sparky split my circuitry into zones, so if there was a problem with one, the rest of the house could keep power. Any socket near my study, and hence the homeplug attached to the router, is ok....unfortunately my living room is the other end of the house on a separate circuit and upstairs bedrooms are also on a different circuit. However, touch wood, since I took all the best knowledge from this thread 10 days ago and completely cleaned out everything (including resetting your networks on all devices especially Apple) and started afresh, I’ve not had one hiccup at all with my WH network. I realised I’ve probably tweaked so many settings over time on my various routers and devices trying to get homeplugs to work, so it was best to start again.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 726 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

Something to consider.

Actually I think the absence of no auto update is quite a bad thing and I'm pleased BT has recognised this and included the option in their latest firmware build.

As things stood under the old firmware the disks could have been hacked and even if BT released a security patch the only way the disks would receive the patch was if the customer was aware of this.  The whole concept of these devices is 'set and forget'

I don't know if anyone else watched last nights Panorama 'Hacked - Smart Home Secrets' 14th May.  I thought this was a real wake up call both for consumers and manufactures. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 727 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

However, touch wood, since I took all the best knowledge from this thread 10 days ago and completely cleaned out everything (including resetting your networks on all devices especially Apple) and started afresh, I’ve not had one hiccup at all with my WH network. I realised I’ve probably tweaked so many settings over time on my various routers and devices trying to get homeplugs to work, so it was best to start again.

This is what I have been trying to get over to those having problems.  Sometimes starting afresh really can and does often work.  Fingers crossed your sorted now.

0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 728 of 1,165

@siwhitewrote:

All bar one on my disks is connected to ethernet, Three via the powerline plugs shown above, one wifi and one is attached to the router.  I still have a mesh wifi network - I can wander around and stay connected to my wifi without losing the signal or having to connect to a different AP - that's mesh isn't it?

It is, but its such a stupid way of doing it. The entire point in this system is to broadcast wifi around the home without wiring. Why should i have to invest further into a powerline kit?

Also yes the speeds you are getting via homeplug are good (between 381Mbps and 542Mbps) but if your wiring is only 10 years old that will be why. most homes have much older wiring than that, a good number of homes will get terrible speeds over homeplug. Thats great that powerline adapters work for you, but youre saying this as if its the correct way of using whole home when it is not!

My point is, if i wanted to do a powerline or wired setup then theres no point in using whole home. its like buying a jumbo jet and never flying it, just taxiing from my house to tesco and back. Yeah it will work, but its a ridiculous waste and it defies its original purpose! If youve got money to waste on that setup then go for it. But its not what it was designed for. for less you could have bought Ubiquiti UniFi APs, proper business grade access points, and youd have had a far better setup with vastly superior control. The idea of whole home is it connects your home without wires or powerline adapters, for homes that are unable to be connected by either of those.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 729 of 1,165

Ive just purchased a BT WH single disc in online auction - taken a gamble - cheap enough so fingers crossed has old firmware installed lol, along with some other items i wanted so thought i would give it a go i can always use it anyway but if it has the older firmware on i can hopefully report back next few days if it worked or not.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 730 of 1,165

@Benjaminleowrote:

@siwhitewrote:

All bar one on my disks is connected to ethernet, Three via the powerline plugs shown above, one wifi and one is attached to the router.  I still have a mesh wifi network - I can wander around and stay connected to my wifi without losing the signal or having to connect to a different AP - that's mesh isn't it?

It is, but its such a stupid way of doing it. The entire point in this system is to broadcast wifi around the home without wiring. Why should i have to invest further into a powerline kit?

Also yes the speeds you are getting via homeplug are good (between 381Mbps and 542Mbps) but if your wiring is only 10 years old that will be why. most homes have much older wiring than that, a good number of homes will get terrible speeds over homeplug. Thats great that powerline adapters work for you, but youre saying this as if its the correct way of using whole home when it is not!

My point is, if i wanted to do a powerline or wired setup then theres no point in using whole home. its like buying a jumbo jet and never flying it, just taxiing from my house to tesco and back. Yeah it will work, but its a ridiculous waste and it defies its original purpose! If youve got money to waste on that setup then go for it. But its not what it was designed for. for less you could have bought Ubiquiti UniFi APs, proper business grade access points, and youd have had a far better setup with vastly superior control. The idea of whole home is it connects your home without wires or powerline adapters, for homes that are unable to be connected by either of those.

@Benjaminleo  Your're still not grasping the techicalities of this.  Some of these mesh devices use a seperate radio for the back haul, (and are quite a bit more expensive) BT WholeHome does not.

When you connect the disks Ethernet port to your router/HomePlug etc. you are not abandoning wireless.  All your wireless devices are still using WIRELESS.  What the Homeplug is doing is taking up the 'back haul'.  This in theory not only improves your connection status it also improves your wireless speeds because there's no longer a 'back haul' to slow things down.

The speeds of the Homeplugs is largley academic in this scenario.  It doesn't as you claim defy the original purpose.  One of the reasons for the port is so you can do this should you wish/need to.

BTW the wiring in our home is 25 years old and my Homeplugs are showing an average of 380Mbps.