cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewH13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 741 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I discounted homeplugs before buying WholeHome on the grounds that my house is also split, even upstairs bedroom lights we found recently were on two different circuits when switching off at fuse box. Plus I had a separate ring main installed in lounge for hifi.

Am I correct in assuming homeplugs would only work through one circuit, ie one switch at fusebox? I can see benefit of utilising both systems.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 742 of 1,165

@AndrewH13, No back in the day I had a Develo set, one plug on the upstairs ring main and the other on a Utility Room Ring main

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 743 of 1,165

@Steve59wrote:

@AndrewH13, No back in the day I had a Develo set, one plug on the upstairs ring main and the other on a Utility Room Ring main

Surely they need to be on the same wiring circuit as the plug which is connected to the router?

0 Ratings
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 744 of 1,165

I have a separate fuse box for upstairs and one for downstairs (past extension upstairs). Homeplugs don’t connect between the two - or at best very very slowly and randomly.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 745 of 1,165

@foz- are you actually reading the posts. It's a serious question because if you have you will have read that whilst you don't have to connect a further disk to Ethernet it helps with back haul as these disks dont use a dedicated channel for back haul.

Some mesh products do use a dedicated channel. An additional Ethernet connected disk will also speed up your network and provide additional stability.

It has to be your choice.
0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 746 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:
@foz- are you actually reading the posts. It's a serious question because if you have you will have read that whilst you don't have to connect a further disk to Ethernet it helps with back haul as these disks dont use a dedicated channel for back haul.

Some mesh products do use a dedicated channel. An additional Ethernet connected disk will also speed up your network and provide additional stability.

It has to be your choice.

@Jim-lad Please just stop. Please.

Your choice is the wrong choice. You shouldnt have to run another cable/powerline to fix their broken system.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 747 of 1,165

@Benjaminleo no one is making you purchase anything from BT. My advice would be to make your purchase's from a different provider where you'll obviously find more contentment - hopefully.
0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 748 of 1,165

@Jim-ladI already have purchased it from BT, and they wont refund me for their junk, and the fix for their faulty system doesnt appear to be forthcoming. Stop telling people there is no fault just because people arent dumb enough to do what you have done with your system.

0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 749 of 1,165

(my original post before it got edited):

@siwhite You are talking absolute garbage. So youre telling me that in a large office building, or a hotel, or a hospital, or a large shop or the tube or anywhere else that uses multiple AP's connected via ethernet that every time your device move between access points you have to re-authenticate? Are you telling me all their APs are interfering with each other and also that theyre not seamless?Cos if thats what you’re telling me then you are completely incorrect!

Look up Ubiquiti APs. Thats what is used in offices/hotels/hospitals/large shop/tube etc. That is what you should be using if you are connecting each points directly with ethernet. Theyre not even expensive. Get your facts right for god sake. and no. for the last time, that is not what this product is intended for!

Even if you didn’t want to go for something that pro, a few powerline adapters with built in wifi would do just as good a job as the bt whole home. Or even a few bog standard APs plugged into your homeplugs configured correctly would work fine. I’ve done it before, it works.

Movies-Games-and-Tech-Review-BT-Whole-Home-WiFi-6

Where on there does it say it each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.

I am not wiring up these discs. Only a fool would do that. I am considering wiring up APs but i wont be using these discs because theyre not really fit for that job.

0 Ratings
Dave_F
Aspiring Contributor
Message 750 of 1,165

I wonder if BT could give an update on their investigations into the firmware update problem a lot is us experiencing rather than spending time editing customer posts?