cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Forthay
Contributor
518 Views
Message 751 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@mikew88wrote:

@Steve59wrote:

@AndrewH13, No back in the day I had a Develo set, one plug on the upstairs ring main and the other on a Utility Room Ring main


Surely they need to be on the same wiring circuit as the plug which is connected to the router?


It ultimately depends a lot on the wiring - how it’s been done and how old it is.

for example I’ve a number of home plugs on different circuits.

For example One home plug is a pass through in the garage that links to a Switch to power PoE cameras and that’s not on the same circuit as the router. However, all the circuits are on the same fuse board.

So I’d agree with @AndrewH13

tribunepind
Contributor
513 Views
Message 752 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Benjaminleowrote:

(my original post before it got edited):

@siwhite You are talking absolute garbage. So youre telling me that in a large office building, or a hotel, or a hospital, or a large shop or the tube or anywhere else that uses multiple AP's connected via ethernet that every time your device move between access points you have to re-authenticate? Are you telling me all their APs are interfering with each other and also that theyre not seamless?Cos if thats what you’re telling me then you are completely incorrect!

Look up Ubiquiti APs. Thats what is used in offices/hotels/hospitals/large shop/tube etc. That is what you should be using if you are connecting each points directly with ethernet. Theyre not even expensive. Get your facts right for god sake. and no. for the last time, that is not what this product is intended for!

Even if you didn’t want to go for something that pro, a few powerline adapters with built in wifi would do just as good a job as the bt whole home. Or even a few bog standard APs plugged into your homeplugs configured correctly would work fine. I’ve done it before, it works.

Movies-Games-and-Tech-Review-BT-Whole-Home-WiFi-6


Where on there does it say it each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.

I am not wiring up these discs. Only a fool would do that. I am considering wiring up APs but i wont be using these discs because theyre not really fit for that job.


Got my 3 discs wired up so I guess I must be a fool.  Not to worry, my discs work fine on the latest firmware (just like they have done on all the firmware updates since I bought them). 😀

Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
457 Views
Message 753 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

There’s better and cheaper solutions if you are able to wire your house up. I’m sure it works flawlessly wired, but you could get an ‘as good’ or better solution for about half the cost. You’re paying more for whole home because it’s able to mesh wirelessly. That’s the selling point. Wiring it in means it’s USP is worthless. That’s the reason most people purchased it.

Also this thread is about issues with the latest update, it’s not a ‘my system is working great’ thread. Why are people posting how great their system is working wired? It’s like going to Alcoholics Anonymous and extolling the virtues of gin...
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
444 Views
Message 754 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Benjaminleowrote:

@Jim-ladI already have purchased it from BT, and they wont refund me for their junk, and the fix for their faulty system doesnt appear to be forthcoming. Stop telling people there is no fault just because people arent dumb enough to do what you have done with your system.


@Benjaminleo for the umpteenth time of writing this - no one is saying you must connect all or more than just the primary disk via Ethernet.  I can disconnect my second disk from the Ethernet port and I still have a good connection which doesn't fall over and will run all my wireless devices.

However, it's cost me absolutely nothing to convert the second disk to using Ethernet because I already had the extra kit required e.g. Homeplugs, Ethernet switch and cables.  But for those of us that have utilised this option we have found it does improve on an already excellent system.

So to sum up, hopefully for the last time.  Wired or wireless, my system works as BT intended but using the second disk wired just puts the icing on the cake.

However, your posts demonstrate you're not receptive to advice from anyone.  Therefore I fear your rants and name calling of BT will simply continue unabated - best of luck.

Jim-lad
Expert
436 Views
Message 755 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Benjaminleowrote:

Movies-Games-and-Tech-Review-BT-Whole-Home-WiFi-6


Where on there does it say each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.



Where does it say you should switch the WiFi on your router - it doesn't, but only a complete novice would leave it switched on.

BT are aiming to sell this product to consumers with varying degrees of knowledge, the lowest being no knowledge at all.  Mentioning going into the router to switch off WiFi or using the available port to connect via Ethernet would send the average consumer running for the hills.  That is why the instructions are so basic.

You introducing the instruction guide therefore adds little if nothing to the debate.

siwhite
Contributor
432 Views
Message 756 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Benjaminleowrote:

@siwhiteYou are talking absolute garbage. So youre telling me that in a large office building, or a hotel, or a hospital, or a large shop or the tube or anywhere else that uses multiple AP's connected via ethernet that every time your device move between access points you have to re-authenticate? Are you telling me all their APs are interfering with each other and also that theyre not seamless?Cos if thats what you’re telling me then you are completely incorrect!

*Edited by Mod*

Where on there does it say it each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.

I am not wiring up these discs. Only a fool would do that. I am considering wiring up APs but i wont be using these discs because theyre not really fit for that job.


@Benjaminleo I’m not.  But, since you can’t, or don’t want to, have a sensible conversation I’ll leave you to it.  Life is way too short. 

GCAL
Aspiring Contributor
431 Views
Message 757 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

If people have the infrastructure and kit to wire up their discs then fine. You shouldn’t have to though to make it work well. My 5 work fine for an average 10 days but then keel over. Keeled over right now so I’m on 4g. It’s poor. They’ve been doing thus ever since Feb firmware update. Frustrating for my twins doing their gcses (O levels as they now are again) and needing to use the gcsepod etc. BT have screwed up big style on this and they are very aware of that. Wish they’d hurry up and fix it.
0 Ratings
Reply
Forthay
Contributor
393 Views
Message 758 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Jim-ladwrote:

@Benjaminleowrote:

Movies-Games-and-Tech-Review-BT-Whole-Home-WiFi-6


Where on there does it say each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.



Where does it say you should switch the WiFi on your router - it doesn't, but only a complete novice would leave it switched on.

BT are aiming to sell this product to consumers with varying degrees of knowledge, the lowest being no knowledge at all.  Mentioning going into the router to switch off WiFi or using the available port to connect via Ethernet would send the average consumer running for the hills.  That is why the instructions are so basic.

You introducing the instruction guide therefore adds little if nothing to the debate.


Nope.  General recommendation is to turn Wi-fi on the router off, but Wi-fi on the router can be left on if you choose to.

Why you would leave it on is another matter but certainly nothing to do with being a novice.

So long as the channels are separated, they can easily coexist.

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
376 Views
Message 759 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Forthaywrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Benjaminleowrote:

Movies-Games-and-Tech-Review-BT-Whole-Home-WiFi-6


Where on there does it say each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.



Where does it say you should switch the WiFi on your router - it doesn't, but only a complete novice would leave it switched on.

BT are aiming to sell this product to consumers with varying degrees of knowledge, the lowest being no knowledge at all.  Mentioning going into the router to switch off WiFi or using the available port to connect via Ethernet would send the average consumer running for the hills.  That is why the instructions are so basic.

You introducing the instruction guide therefore adds little if nothing to the debate.


Nope.  General recommendation is to turn Wi-fi on the router off, but Wi-fi on the router can be left on if you choose to.

Why you would leave it on is another matter but certainly nothing to do with being a novice.

So long as the channels are separated, they can easily coexist.


The instructions simply state that you should sign into your devices and select 'forget network'.  This is clearly insufficient.  It's like having your neighours router in your house.  Leaving the router WiFi switched on causes it to compete with the Mesh network - crazy.

0 Ratings
Reply
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
372 Views
Message 760 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Benjaminleowrote:

(my original post before it got edited):

@siwhite You are talking absolute garbage. So youre telling me that in a large office building, or a hotel, or a hospital, or a large shop or the tube or anywhere else that uses multiple AP's connected via ethernet that every time your device move between access points you have to re-authenticate? Are you telling me all their APs are interfering with each other and also that theyre not seamless?Cos if thats what you’re telling me then you are completely incorrect!

Look up Ubiquiti APs. Thats what is used in offices/hotels/hospitals/large shop/tube etc. That is what you should be using if you are connecting each points directly with ethernet. Theyre not even expensive. Get your facts right for god sake. and no. for the last time, that is not what this product is intended for!

Even if you didn’t want to go for something that pro, a few powerline adapters with built in wifi would do just as good a job as the bt whole home. Or even a few bog standard APs plugged into your homeplugs configured correctly would work fine. I’ve done it before, it works.

Movies-Games-and-Tech-Review-BT-Whole-Home-WiFi-6


Where on there does it say it each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.

I am not wiring up these discs. Only a fool would do that. I am considering wiring up APs but i wont be using these discs because theyre not really fit for that job.


@Benjaminleo you really aren't paying attention.

Firstly nobody said that with mesh you need to re-authenticate. What was said is that BT Whole Home is a mesh networking system as it manages intelligent hand-off so that re-authentication is not necessary. It also hands off due to signal strength or congestion. Basic APs (and WiFi extenders) require re-authenication.

Secondly all APs (mesh or not) require backhaul connectivity. With mesh systems it is generally possible to use WiFi or Ethernet backhaul. This is no different with BTWH. Nobody has said you must use Ethernet backhaul (it's your choice) but it can be beneficial because it avoids consumption of available wifi bandwidth for backhaul, it allows discs to be placed so that they don't need to see each other over wireless even though a client device can be at a midpoint between 2 discs and still get seamless handoff, and it can be very useful if there is interference in the radio spectrum which causes disruption to the backhaul communications. 

BTWH doesn't have a dedicated radio for backhaul therefore using WiFi is a compromise.

There is no reason for people not to choose Homeplugs for backhaul, although there are lots of mixed opinions on their performance - I've never had a good experience. Wired gigabit ethernet will of course be better, but in most cases is not really going to gain much.

Often people forget that their limiting factor is the internet bandwidth into their homes and chase utopia when actually they only need a maximum of 80mbps through their lan, but for other users who have internal to internal traffic it can be a different story. It's horses for courses, but don't criticise other people for differing decisions to your own which are equally valid.

Finally you are wrong regarding enterprise deployment of WiFi. I recently oversaw the roll out of over 1700 wireless APs into a UK NHS hospital. Every single AP was wired for Ethernet backhaul - the reason was to ensure we had the bandwidth required (you'll soon fill your network if you start daisy chaining APs), avoid impact by interference (try deploying wifi near MRI scanners!!) and to avoid needing to ensure every AP had to see its neighbours as radio power needs to be throttled down to manage overlap with the limited spectrum allocations (especially on 2.4Ghz).  This is the same in offices, hotels and many other installations I've been involved in. Wireless backhaul is used on some external implementations in my experience, but remember that the wireless spectrum is a shared medium which quickly becomes congested and is easily disrupted therefore many designers prefer the guaranteed performance of wires (or optical).