0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 782 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Steve59wrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Steve59wrote:

Interesting experiment which I performed twice as I was surprised by the result, on both occassions....

I connected 1 of my 4 discs to ethernet via a Powerline Plug and ran a speedtest, it dropped from 36mbps (what my Broadband is) to 9mbps, once back on the wifi backhaul went back to 36, only differnence was the disc went from a "Good" to "Excellent" connection

Are you sure both readings were in Mbps and one was not MBs.  Very easy to confuse the two as some sites use one whereas others can often use the other.  It sounds odd especially as the connection status went to excellent.  Where were you running the speed test from.

Please write down your exact procedure as the speeds I am getting suggest this should be the other way around.

I don't think I need to write down a procedure its not really that hard, I attach a screen shot of my testing

simply the low ones are with an ethernet cable connect from disk 2 to a powerline pug, the high ones are with it disconnected

IMG_1244.PNG

@Steve59  I have to confess Steve I have no idea why your speeds should be so much slower using Homeplugs to connect your additional disks via Ethernet, I really am at a loss.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this subject could explain this anomaly.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 783 of 1,166

@Jim-lad, just tried using sonos as an Ethernet backhaul, again the disc went from good to excellent but the download dropped even worse to 3mbs
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 784 of 1,166

Thanks @jaybeetoo.  Never thought of looking there!!

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 785 of 1,166

@Steve59 - forget the speed test for the moment.  When you go into WholeHome app - devices, what sort of connection speeds are your devices registering?  After all, what you are trying to achieve is fast stable WiFi.

0 Ratings
orientboy2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 786 of 1,166

Just went through my Logs and approx every hour each of my disks (I have 5) have a "Agedout and dissassosiated"  line

Why is that 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 787 of 1,166

@orientboy2000 - yes I have noticed these entries in the logs. Not got a clue what it means.
BTW - I haven't said anything before but I'm in the middle of a test. I unplugged my second Ethernet connected disk to sample what the performance is like on the new firmware. So far 9 days and 10 hours, no disconnects both disks working normally.
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 788 of 1,166

@orientboy2000wrote:

Just went through my Logs and approx every hour each of my disks (I have 5) have a "Agedout and dissassosiated"  line

Why is that 

Agedout and dissassosiated will be Drop Outs (i would think)

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 789 of 1,166

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Steve59 - forget the speed test for the moment.  When you go into WholeHome app - devices, what sort of connection speeds are your devices registering?  After all, what you are trying to achieve is fast stable WiFi.

Yes but the speed the device connects is only really of benefit when communicating internally ie connecting to a NAS, without ethernet backhaul my iphone connects at around 866mbs so it is very quick accessing the NAS, but i am really interested in both device connection and speed test as its the speed test numbers that covern internet access ! higher the better for both

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 790 of 1,166

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Steve59  I have to confess Steve I have no idea why your speeds should be so much slower using Homeplugs to connect your additional disks via Ethernet, I really am at a loss.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this subject could explain this anomaly.

I had a quick look back and didn't spot you saying what speed your Homeplugs are connecting at. Homeplugs give variable results and the speed you get will obviously have an impact. Also Homeplugs use a shared medium so if you have multiple Homeplugs they are all competing to talk over the same wiring, thus each point to point connection only gets a share of the total available bandwidth.

It could well be that the discs can achieve faster backhaul connectivity over WiFi than your Homeplugs can achieve, however this is just supposition without knowing the topology and connection speeds.

Despite wifi being faster, it doesn't mean that it will be more reliable for backhaul as it is susceptable to interference and/or congestion. But then again so are Homeplugs.

0 Ratings