Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 811 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Steve59wrote:
@brummygit, your conclusion is fairly accurate so you seem to know your stuff, I only had 2 develo plugs which connected to each other at 30mbs, so that may be the reason for my speeds

Saying all this if you read all my previous posts my discs work on Wi-fi quick and on the whole well

I was just experimenting following all the discussions about Ethernet backhaul

On the Sonos experiment which proved even worse results I am not sure as that as well is a Wi-fi mesh in its own right so not really an Ethernet backhaul

@Not sure either homplugs or sonos are the answer @ Jim-lad what is your plug to plug connection just curious

I guess the best Ethernet backhaul is somehow connected to the router via a switch or direct

Anyhow we are going a bit off tangent from the irginal post unless BT feel all this troubleshooting helps others with a fix

@Steve59  when you did your speed tests did you only have the disk on the Homeplug network?  If you had other devices connected then the disk would be competing for bandwidth/interference/overheads.  When I first did a speedtest with mine I carried it out with a number of other devices using the network e.g. PVRs, TV, Apple TV etc.  The first result came back at 14 Mbps.

When I realised what could be happening I unplugged all my other kit apart from disk 2.  When I ran the speed test again it now came back as 55 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 812 of 1,166

They are actively working on an update I have been assured by the product team and the Executive complaints team this morning. AFAIK they know what the issue is however they don’t fully understand what causes it. There is still no ETA on a fix however the fact they acknowledge there is an issue and they have assured me they are working on it has led me to keep my working 3 disc system and leave the others off for the moment.

I have been asked to be kept informed about developments on new firmware and would be open to assist testing with new firmware.
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 813 of 1,166

@Joe1971 I hope what BT has told you proves to be incorrect. LG executive team has been promising a fix to the Freeview Play EPG for the last 6 months for some of its models - we're still waiting.

Let's hope your experience bears more fruit and more importantly I hope they don't break the product for those of us where the firmware is working okay.
0 Ratings
Chris101
Contributor
Message 814 of 1,166

Hi Yorkie29

My experience suggests turning them all off one by one then starting again with the disc connected by Ethernet to router first ( and waiting until steady blue light before next one and so on) got best result for c 24 hours and sometimes longer.

I did try reset network via app a few times (although it was only option if App said I was still connected) I found longevity of WH network shorter than when switching them all off and then turning them on one by one ( and waiting for each to be blue light for more than a minute)  - a few more technical descriptions towards start of this thread discuss these approaches more I recall. I did also restart router a few times just to see but this made no difference as I could see ( except to slow down broadband connectivity from exchange it seems).

Like others I was very happy with WH wi fi until v10. As with other contributors I tried  everything I could think of once it dawned on me frequency of drop outs and internet connection loss  was WH. I could still connect to internet when on Ethernet direct to router. Reading others suggestions from early parts of this thread was useful, including looking at possible alternatives and reading their community pages!

After few weeks of exchanging emails and logs, trying all / some discs on Ethernet via power lines versus mix of just wi fi / ethernet & with / without powerline plugs & switching off router WiFi and so on, I have just taken up BT offer of exchanging my WH discs for ones with older firmware and 28 hours later no problems so far.  Once BT authorised it they arrived 36 hours later via DPD....only difference on install was already had App and after first primary disc added making sure firmware update off on App and also via the device web page so it stays on Build03.

Too early to say if what I trust is just interim solution works (until next firmware issued) but I do now wish I had spent less time waiting  and getting frustrated and really pushed for the exchange earlier. As I said, prior to v10 it was working fine and reviews of other alternatives suggests grass isn’t always greener ( when in same price point of our first WH discs bought in sales last year).

Interestingly the night before the replacement discs arrived we had a local power outage and I also discovered there had been a broadband fault in my area a week or so before that so on usual BT helpline ( and not BT Connected Home ) they found exchange line ‘congestion’ and cleared it plus I reset HH5 - one thing I hadn’t done before in my various attempts to fix WiFi.

Good luck but suggest don’t waste too much time on being troubleshooter and either go for exchange or look for alternatives and get refund

0 Ratings
ReDMadMaverick
Beginner
Message 815 of 1,166

Hi,

Just a word of caution, I have already received the 4 replacement discs from BT with the older firmware AND

First off all ok.......................for 2 weeks.  BUT All discs connected to the base router disc and not to each other which defeats the object of the mesh system tbh. and of course led to poor speeds in some parts of my house.

Then to make matters worse one disc dropped off the network even though the light remained blue

Then another

Now down to 2 disc system and have logged it back with BT

Pretty poor 

ReD

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 816 of 1,166

Homeplugs have speed ratings.  Home wiring isn't quite as straightforward as ethernet wiring.  I'm not surprised using Homeplugs for the ethernet backbone may be slower in some cases.  I've got some old devolo homeplugs that only ever go up to about 8Mb and newer ones that go oto about 50Mb.  This is regardless of incoming broadband speed.

0 Ratings
Richard747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 817 of 1,166

I purchased a triple pack via Amazon which came with firmware v1.02 Build 22 (two versions old?). These are all attached via Cat 6 ethernet. The first disc is plugged directly into the SmartHub 6, the other two are via a switch connected to the SmartHub. As an aside this is SmartHub #4, the previous three having issues.

The WholeHome signal was stable and having read this thread I was extremely reluctant to upgrade to v1.02.04 Build 10. However I was having issues with AirPrint which would not allow iOS devices to find the ethernet connected printer via the WholeHome SSID, but would through the old SmartHub wifi which was still on. In addition my TomTom 6200 satnav just kept cycling through trying to connect > acquiring an IP address > connecting > then failing.

In the end I 'upgraded' to Build 10. This fixed the AirPrint and the TomTom problems so that was a positive result.

Now after a weekend of solid connectivity the WholeHome wifi keeps failing. Sometimes it asks for a password (I am still using the default to elliminate any issues here) and then says 'Incorrect password' even though it is correct. If 'Forget This Network' is selected in iOS settings then the (same, correct) password can be entered and the wifi network is joined for anything between a couple of minutes and an hour or so. This is consistent across iPhones and iPads.

The broadband connection is Infinity 2 with achieved wifi speeds of 61Mbps down, 19 Mbps up.

Does anyone have experience of the immediate previous firmware having issues with AirPrint? If it was stable I will try and obtain a triple pack with that version of the firmware and await a fix for build 10. At the moment the wifi is barely usable.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 818 of 1,166

Sorry Richard i have no answers for your question airprint has worked for me on all versions up to yet, but yet again this points out why BT should allow you to install what ever version firmware works best for you allowing you to try different versions it's simply a must. My advise send them back! BT are really dragging there heals with this you've only got to read this thread.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 819 of 1,166

@Richard747wrote:

I purchased a triple pack via Amazon which came with firmware v1.02 Build 22 (two versions old?). These are all attached via Cat 6 ethernet. The first disc is plugged directly into the SmartHub 6, the other two are via a switch connected to the SmartHub. As an aside this is SmartHub #4, the previous three having issues.

The WholeHome signal was stable and having read this thread I was extremely reluctant to upgrade to v1.02.04 Build 10. However I was having issues with AirPrint which would not allow iOS devices to find the ethernet connected printer via the WholeHome SSID, but would through the old SmartHub wifi which was still on. In addition my TomTom 6200 satnav just kept cycling through trying to connect > acquiring an IP address > connecting > then failing.

In the end I 'upgraded' to Build 10. This fixed the AirPrint and the TomTom problems so that was a positive result.

Now after a weekend of solid connectivity the WholeHome wifi keeps failing. Sometimes it asks for a password (I am still using the default to elliminate any issues here) and then says 'Incorrect password' even though it is correct. If 'Forget This Network' is selected in iOS settings then the (same, correct) password can be entered and the wifi network is joined for anything between a couple of minutes and an hour or so. This is consistent across iPhones and iPads.

The broadband connection is Infinity 2 with achieved wifi speeds of 61Mbps down, 19 Mbps up.

Does anyone have experience of the immediate previous firmware having issues with AirPrint? If it was stable I will try and obtain a triple pack with that version of the firmware and await a fix for build 10. At the moment the wifi is barely usable.

@Richard747 I don’t use AirPrint, but when I originally set up my two twin packs, my only Apple device, an iPad Air, kept regularly dropping connection to the WH network...it would drop for a few secs, then connect, then drop, then connect etc until I forgot the network and rejoined. As I was also getting the whole network occasionally dropping out, I decided to completely start over. I reset all my discs, ensured that the first disc I connected to the primary disc was it’s match from the twin pack as originally my first connecting disc had been from a different pack, switched off the router WiFi, changed my 5ghz channel to 48, and erased all my network settings in the iPad and other devices. Since then, 15 days or so ago, I’ve not had one issue and the iPad connection has been perfect. I don’t use any Ethernet other than the primary disc to the router (which is a TPLink) and the only firmware I’ve ever had is the new version. I can only conclude that I must have made errors and had conflicts when I first set up my discs. Have you tried all the various 5ghz channels to see if your Apple products become stable on one particular channel?

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 820 of 1,166

16 weeks have passed since this thread started - Still no indication as to when a fix will be available, if at all !!

It is also terrible that someone can purchase this product and then still be able to upgrade to a version of firmware that is known/admitted to cause lots of problems for many people - why is this version still available for download !!??

And again, as @foz rightly points out, BT must change its "god like" attitude and give users the ability to decide which version of firmware they use, and the ability to back-out when a particular version is bad for them.

0 Ratings