cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fquinner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 821 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I don't suppose they have provided a magic configuration option or something you can turn off to make it more stable?

0 Ratings
tsr2
Contributor
Message 822 of 1,166

As a number of people seem to have found that a 2 disc configuration is quite stable, I switched one disc off a couple of days ago. After a  few hours, my daughter's win10 netbook lost it's connection, but, as nobody else had any problems I rebooted the netbook. That seemed to resolve the issue.

So far there have been no other issues, but I've had to pull some Homeplugs out of retirement to connect one of my wired devices as turning 1 disc off meant I didn't have enough ethernet ports.

When I set it up initially I seem to remember the app reported that the location of the 3rd disc had no signal to speak of and the homeplugs didn't work well there either. I expected that would prevent me running a 2 disc configuration, but it seems to be OK at the moment.

0 Ratings
Forthay
Aspiring Expert
Message 823 of 1,166

@RS4wrote:

16 weeks have passed since this thread started - Still no indication as to when a fix will be available, if at all !!

It is also terrible that someone can purchase this product and then still be able to upgrade to a version of firmware that is known/admitted to cause lots of problems for many people - why is this version still available for download !!??

And again, as @foz rightly points out, BT must change its "god like" attitude and give users the ability to decide which version of firmware they use, and the ability to back-out when a particular version is bad for them.

The lack of regular updates from BT has been disappointing. My two packs of 3 went back to Amazon today. Gutted packing it away but even after dropping down to just the one set of 3 being active, a complete fctory reset and rebuild it made no difference. I would have liked to have stayed but with no end in sight and the Amazon return near it's end I had no choice. Hopefully BT will continue to invest in the product and learn from the issues reported here. I would like to say thanks to the forum members for all their suggestions and the quick work around of just turning the master disc off and back on.

Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 824 of 1,166

@Forthay

What have you decided to replace them with?
0 Ratings
Forthay
Aspiring Expert
Message 825 of 1,166

@Breadmakerwrote:
@Forthay

@Breadmaker, unfortunately still trying to decide before spending the £s. Orbi is top of the list just now but I’m trying to get more info on what app functions are lost in AP / Bridge mode.

To be honest if BT had this fixed this I’d get another 3pack WH as a trial with auto updates turned off. Assuming all was well get another 3 and be back to normal.

I really liked the simplicity of the WH. My speeds and reliability were excellent, the App was getting cooler features like guest Wi-fi, pause etc. and for me, prior to the Firmware update, it just worked. 

siwhite
Contributor
Message 826 of 1,166

@Forthaywrote:

@Breadmakerwrote:
@Forthay

@Breadmaker, unfortunately still trying to decide before spending the £s. Orbi is top of the list just now but I’m trying to get more info on what app functions are lost in AP / Bridge mode.

To be honest if BT had this fixed this I’d get another 3pack WH as a trial with auto updates turned off. Assuming all was well get another 3 and be back to normal.

I really liked the simplicity of the WH. My speeds and reliability were excellent, the App was getting cooler features like guest Wi-fi, pause etc. and for me, prior to the Firmware update, it just worked. 

I had auto updates switched off but my discs updated anyway. 

0 Ratings
Forthay
Aspiring Expert
Message 827 of 1,166

@siwhitewrote:

@Forthaywrote:

@Breadmakerwrote:
@Forthay

I had auto updates switched off but my discs updated anyway. 

Thanks @siwhite, Good to know in advance. 

0 Ratings
tsr2
Contributor
Message 828 of 1,166

After a few trouble free days, my 2nd disc lost contact with the primary this morning. Restarting it led to a red LED, so I restarted everything including the 3rd disc that I had left off.

A 2 disc configuration does not appear any more stable than a 3 disc configuration.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 829 of 1,166

@tsr2  I'm not really allowed to make further comment about this product but I do have a question.  How do you know when a disk loses contact with the primary, e.g. does it turn red, purple or does it just stay blue? 

If it stays blue how would you know it's lost contact as surely all your devices would or should immediatley transfer to your primary disk and carry on normal service, so you wouldn't really be aware of a problem.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 830 of 1,166

@Jim-lad, everything remains blue on the discs, if you are too far from the primary disc then you just notice a loss of internet, you move close to the primary and the app will work showing 1 blue disc and the rest red

So everything looks normal on the disc front apart from they do not have internet so should technically have a red LED

The only time I have seen red LEDs is when the discs are all “connected” to each other but the internet is down (can be mimicked by pulling Ethernet from primary disc)