cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 831 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Steve59  So if you had decent coverage you may have a disk go offline and you would never know about it.  As an example I know for a fact that my primary can easily provide WiFi for all my devices (around 14 in total).  I know this because I had to unplug my second disk a few weeks ago in order to tidy up some of the cabling at the back of the TV.

When I looked at the app every device in the house which uses WiFi had swiftly migrated to the primary as soon as I unplugged the slave.

So to sum up then, if like me you have good WiFi coverage and you didn't check the WH app then a second or third disk could be going offline and the user would never know. 

0 Ratings
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 832 of 1,166

@Forthaywrote:

@Breadmakerwrote:
@Forthay

What have you decided to replace them with?

@Breadmaker, unfortunately still trying to decide before spending the £s. Orbi is top of the list just now but I’m trying to get more info on what app functions are lost in AP / Bridge mode.

To be honest if BT had this fixed this I’d get another 3pack WH as a trial with auto updates turned off. Assuming all was well get another 3 and be back to normal.

I really liked the simplicity of the WH. My speeds and reliability were excellent, the App was getting cooler features like guest Wi-fi, pause etc. and for me, prior to the Firmware update, it just worked. 

Orbi is the system I am considering also, and like you AP mode may have to be the setup I utilise to ensure my Nas and Sonos behave well with it. Also the cost is not unsubstantial!! 

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 833 of 1,166

@Jim-lad

No, devices still connect to the disassociated blue disc (i.e. The disc still behaves as if it's a working disc with an Internet connection).

Presumably it steers on that basis too, so effectively the house has 2 WH networks with the same SSID competing for, and accepting, connections.
tsr2
Contributor
Message 834 of 1,166

Steve59's explanation is what I see. The first symptom is that the connected devices lose their internet access. Video streams stop, DNS times out, etc. The disc itself still shows a blue LED, but the app shows it as red. Attached devices don't get switched to another disc until I power the disc off.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 835 of 1,166

@tsr2 what would be interesting to find out or more importantly for BT to find out would be what is common across these systems for all the users who are experiencing problems as opposed to all the users who are not.

If the hardware is the same and I emphasise 'if' then there has to be some quirk in the new firmware that makes some systems fail and some not.
0 Ratings
Inghaj
Beginner
Message 836 of 1,166

Current f/w is clearly broken. Does anyone have any news from BT on when new f/w might be released? Thanks
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 837 of 1,166

@Inghajwrote:
Current f/w is clearly broken. Does anyone have any news from BT on when new f/w might be released? Thanks

NO

0 Ratings
Forthay
Aspiring Expert
Message 838 of 1,166

Before sending back I did ask the BT Wholehome team. They replied today with,

We're still working on a resolution to this issue and it may still be a few weeks away.”.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 839 of 1,166

@Jim-lad, Why do you have this system if you can attach all your devices to a primary disks, these are surely to spead wifi where a standard router will not reach, (if you are using wifi backhaul which is really the point of these discs) so once you are out of range of the primary disc then you rely on the slaves, but those that need slaves soon know when they go down.

The other customer is correct in that devices stay connected to the discs,  all slaves disconnect and only primary remains so unless as stated you are close enough nothing will migrate

Plus as I have mentioned earlier I have disable AP Steering as Macbooks do not like being steered, they will steer themselves when in range of the strongest signal

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 840 of 1,166

@Forthaywrote:

Before sending back I did ask the BT Wholehome team. They replied today with,

We're still working on a resolution to this issue and it may still be a few weeks away.”.

18 odd weeks in already and now a few more weeks LOL

WoW it must be some sorta serious issue, could have had a completely re-wite of code from bottom up before now, let alone a few more weeks ...! then you get people saying theirs are working fine....!

Very odd this hole situation 

0 Ratings