cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 851 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

This thread is very active still and whilst I agree it’s focus has shifted about, people are contributing and therefore it has value. I don’t agree with a unilateral decision to close it. You can unfollow the thread which allows you to have the same effect by simply ignoring the activity if its no longer of interest.
RS4
Contributor
Message 852 of 1,165

When I had BTWH I not only disabled auto-updates in the application but I logged in to each of the discs directly and made sure auto-update was disabled there also and found it was not.  So I had to specifically disable auto-update on each disc directly itself.  

When BT provided me with replacement discs, they came with a note saying to not perform an update, yet the replacement discs themselves had auto-update enabled.  So obviously the first thing to do when you get replacement discs is to check auto-update is actually disabled on each disc.

Furthermore I set my discs to static IP addresses and then added firewall rules to specifically block all internet traffic to and from those IP addresses.

I cannot say that this was effective as I have since returned the BTWH discs and replaced with Ubiquiti UniFi instead; but that should have been enough to block the auto-updates (unless the phone application is able to download the firmware and push to the discs itself!)

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 853 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:
I thought you were convinced the problems are down to hardware differences?

Belt and Braces.

Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 854 of 1,165

@Derymanwrote:

Any chance the mods can either close this thread or remind people to stay on topic?  All it is now is posters talking about alternatives to Whole Home - good for them given the p**s-poor behaviour of BT, but it isn't on-topic.

Given the complete lack of updates to a solution timescale, I think it is completely justified to discuss other options. People have been having issues for some time now and there is STILL no solution in sight.

I, like many others, don't want to have to change their system. Not to mention in most cases look at replacements systems that will cost more money. But having tried all of the discussed workarounds, including power line for back haul. I am still living with a system that fails on a regular basis.

0 Ratings
fquinner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 855 of 1,165

@Breadmakerwrote:

@Derymanwrote:

Any chance the mods can either close this thread or remind people to stay on topic?  All it is now is posters talking about alternatives to Whole Home - good for them given the p**s-poor behaviour of BT, but it isn't on-topic.

Given the complete lack of updates to a solution timescale, I think it is completely justified to discuss other options. People have been having issues for some time now and there is STILL no solution in sight.

I, like many others, don't want to have to change their system. Not to mention in most cases look at replacements systems that will cost more money. But having tried all of the discussed workarounds, including power line for back haul. I am still living with a system that fails on a regular basis.

It's justified to discuss options yes absolutely. Just maybe not on this thread? Every time I get an email, I jump on in the hope it's a notification that they have found a solution or workaround for running with this firmware update (the thing the topic is about). Then I end up finding people having a casual discussion about alternatives instead. Honestly i think a new thread entitled "Things you should buy instead of the whole home solution" would be more effective if you're looking for something to make the BT folks take this seriously and be aware you're leaving. Otherwise it's just not productive in solving the problem for people who just want the firmware to work and don't really want to spend *another* few hundred quid on *another* solution, or for whom returning is not an option with warranty etc.

Highlighted
Forthay
Contributor
Message 856 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

@Breadmakerwrote:

@Forthaywrote:

Before sending back I did ask the BT Wholehome team. They replied today with,

We're still working on a resolution to this issue and it may still be a few weeks away.”.

In the meantime we are working on replacing them! My Amazon return has been authorised so mine are going back just as soon as I decide on which Orbi to buy. Researching the difference between the RBK50 3000ac as a two unit solution. Or going for the rbk23/40 with a 3 unit ac2200. 

With only a max 70Mbps download I think I would be better with the 3 unit ac2200. But...the 2 unit ac3000 has 4x4 backhaul compared to the 2x2 of the 3 unit. Decisions, decisions! 

@Breadmaker. Same here, I've been researching for weeks and it's not getting any easier - all the systems have their own quirks and complaints.

I think because I really liked the BT Wholehome in the back of my mind I'm still hoping they'll announce a fix before I buy anything else.

Good luck!

The complaints about no longer having good Wi-fi around the house pushed me into ordering the Orbi 53 late last night but I’m fairly sure the Orbi 40 would have been enough. Delivered and Setup this morning in a few minutes without any issues.  BT Homehub 6 with Orbi in AP mode.  Most functionality still seems available in AP mode.

Going to give it a try and monitor the thread in the hope BT comes good at which point I’ll see what’s best to do.

Ever so slightly gutted.

mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 857 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

When I had BTWH I not only disabled auto-updates in the application but I logged in to each of the discs directly and made sure auto-update was disabled there also and found it was not.  So I had to specifically disable auto-update on each disc directly itself.  

When BT provided me with replacement discs, they came with a note saying to not perform an update, yet the replacement discs themselves had auto-update enabled.  So obviously the first thing to do when you get replacement discs is to check auto-update is actually disabled on each disc.

Furthermore I set my discs to static IP addresses and then added firewall rules to specifically block all internet traffic to and from those IP addresses.

I cannot say that this was effective as I have since returned the BTWH discs and replaced with Ubiquiti UniFi instead; but that should have been enough to block the auto-updates (unless the phone application is able to download the firmware and push to the discs itself!)

Can I ask how you log into each disk individually...I don’t see where to do that in mybtdevice.home options

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 858 of 1,165

@mikew88 Each disc has its own web page, browse to the discs IP address and you should get a login prompt.  At that screen you can administer the disc directly without using the phone application.

I would send you screen shots and better instructions etc, but I no longer have any discs, sorry.

0 Ratings
fquinner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 859 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

@mikew88 Each disc has its own web page, browse to the discs IP address and you should get a login prompt.  At that screen you can administer the disc directly without using the phone application.

I would send you screen shots and better instructions etc, but I no longer have any discs, sorry.

Unfortunately I think they turned this off as part of the last update (or else i have done it somehow as part of something else i have tried while trying to get these things working). I have static IPs assigned to my disks and the IP of the master is the only one i can access at any given time. Which means when there's a restart and first-come-first-served comes back up, the IP may change unless you lookup by home domain.

As a side note generally I don't like the idea of a master moving around at all. I don't think it makes sense when you have an ethernet backhaul to immediately takeover on startup regardless of who was master before. It should only happen if the previous master is definitely known to not yet be available. Goodness knows what kind of state is getting lost on reboot because of this when there's a power cut.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 860 of 1,165

It would be good if the mods could have this community on the email notification have the last post contents that would save people opening the website, nest can manage it on their community

anyhow

Although my setup is fairly stable i do however have to reboot no and again so I am trying the following (should not have to but hey ho I like to play...

I have turned on the 2.4 wifi signal from my router and set a chl different to everything else, then I have configured a smart plug to said router wifi (which is very reliable) and plugged in the Primary disc to said smart plug so, hopefully when the system goes down I will only need to reboot the primary via the smart plug which can be done from anywhere

I will come back with updates....