Aspiring Contributor
Message 861 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Forthaywrote:

@Forthaywrote:

@Breadmakerwrote:

@Forthaywrote:

Before sending back I did ask the BT Wholehome team. They replied today with,

We're still working on a resolution to this issue and it may still be a few weeks away.”.

In the meantime we are working on replacing them! My Amazon return has been authorised so mine are going back just as soon as I decide on which Orbi to buy. Researching the difference between the RBK50 3000ac as a two unit solution. Or going for the rbk23/40 with a 3 unit ac2200. 

With only a max 70Mbps download I think I would be better with the 3 unit ac2200. But...the 2 unit ac3000 has 4x4 backhaul compared to the 2x2 of the 3 unit. Decisions, decisions! 

@Breadmaker. Same here, I've been researching for weeks and it's not getting any easier - all the systems have their own quirks and complaints.

I think because I really liked the BT Wholehome in the back of my mind I'm still hoping they'll announce a fix before I buy anything else.

Good luck!

The complaints about no longer having good Wi-fi around the house pushed me into ordering the Orbi 53 late last night but I’m fairly sure the Orbi 40 would have been enough. Delivered and Setup this morning in a few minutes without any issues.  BT Homehub 6 with Orbi in AP mode.  Most functionality still seems available in AP mode.

Going to give it a try and monitor the thread in the hope BT comes good at which point I’ll see what’s best to do.

Ever so slightly gutted.

So I've Signed up here to say basically that BT have done a Terrbile job with this.  I had a working system. They borked the firmware and seem to have no idea why it's Borked... so sent it back to Amazon ( took me a while to work out I bought it via Amazon Prime Now which doesn't appear as normal orders ) 

Anyone that is 'happy' with the ethernet backhaul solution is not getting the point - We paid for a working device. They screwed it up and haven't even go the Kahunas to admit it and post a Stick on here and let us knnow what is going on.  It fell over the fist time for me when I was away on holiday basically killing various Cameras / smart home stuff / locks etc in one foul swoop ( I have redundant internet connections to the house - virgin / BT / 4G  ) but if the WiFi solution fails that can be a problem. 

So I now have a 2 unit Orbi 53 (4400). 
A rock solid connection.   4/5 Bars everywhere in a 2900sqft house. 
Better App with proper control over firmware. 
On Virgin 350mb I am getting: 
240mbps+ on my iPhone
290mbps+ on iPad
330mbps+ on Macbook pro. 

max I got on the BT Whole Home was 170mbps and patchy at best. 

This is better than I am getting wired thought he house ethernet because the idiot developer used Cat 5 - not even Cat 5e which maxes out at 10/100!  In a 3 year old house. 

For those who have jumped ship - in the orbi settings make sure you turn on in the web settings ( don't think it's in the mobile app 😞 
Advanced > Advanced Setup >
Beamforming - no idea why this is not on all the time. 
MU-MIMO
Fast Roaming ( optional )

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 862 of 1,165

@Steve59When I had the HomeHub wifi on it really slowed down the WH and caused conflicts so fingers crossed with your setup.

I still maintain there has to be something in common with all those who are having issues as opposed to those that aren't i.e. some causal link.

Mind you finding it could be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 863 of 1,165

@Jim-lad as I said, I am only playing as I like to play, but speeds from discs are still downloading at 34Mbs and uploading at 8.1Mbs

0 Ratings
fquinner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 864 of 1,165

My latest experiment is detailed here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-and-Additional-Network-Switch-NETGEAR-GS316-100...

It moves the whole home disks out on their own behind their own cheapie router into their own subnet. I've always had suspicions that the bt home hub 6 was fighting with them (so did the home hub 5 but not so much) so I've moved them into isolation (at least that way they won't bring down the whole network). They seem to be performing much better now, though that could be a coincidence, will keep you posted.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 865 of 1,165

@Steve59What would happen when I left WiFi on the HH switched on was some of my devices would get confused and try to connect with the HH instead of WH which meant they would just sit there with the revolving buffer circle.
0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 866 of 1,165

@Jim-lad not going to have that problem as the network names are different so in effect a completely different Wi-fi
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 867 of 1,165

@Steve59  So were/are mine.  The HomeHub has a completely different network name to my WholeHome but it still didn't stop at least three devices that I know of trying to connect to the HH.

I was puzzled at first when I got messages saying the 'network' was either not available or not recognised.  It was only on digging a little deeper that I found the devices attempting to connect to the HH instead of WH.  They did this in spite of me going into every device and instructing them to forget the HH network.

Pesky little blighters. 

0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 868 of 1,165

The HH6 was always complete **bleep** for me so I've never used it, back in its box. Got ignored when I asked for a refund because its upstream connection to the exchange was 2Mb slower than the HH5. BT support guy tried asking me how I was connecting my PC to the router to see those stats as if that was relevant, at which point I gave up on him.

So I use a TPLink router which has the wifi turned off.

WH is kind of behaving but discs do randomly die once every few days. And sometimes still showing a blue light.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 869 of 1,165

@choddo  I'm using HH5 as I didn't see any real value in upgrading to HH6.  I have WiFi switched off, though originally I thought I had switch off both radios but it seems I left 2.4 MHz switched on which is why some devices were playing up.

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 870 of 1,165

In general terms, WH is working ‘ok’ for me, with the odd satellite disc dropout every now and again, and again showing blue on the disc but red on the app.

Currently my master disc (on a UPS) has been up for 16 days, the satellite connected by radio at 4 days (had a power cut which caused that to reboot) and the third disc connected by Ethernet (and on a UPS) has just this afternoon dropped off after being up for about 16 days also.

I do not have any sort of BT router - a TP-Link VR900 with its radios off. I also run (as a backup) an Apple Time Capsule with a different SSID, but few home automation devices will automatically switch networks.

I have decided that when I go on holiday in a couple of months, I will re-enable the TP-Link radios which whilst they have a much lower RSSI in certain areas, the things I NEED up such as cameras, smoke alarms, video doorbell and my intruder alarm will work reliably, and I’ll power off the BT WH network. I’d love to be able to rely on it, but not risking it going off-line whilst I’m away for a few weeks. I may consider getting three high gain antennas for the TP-Link router which is currently tucked away in a cupboard.

I think BT have been incredibly tardy over this, after pushing WH as the solution to poor Wi-fi coverage, borking the firmware they should be working flat out at getting a solution and keeping everyone updated.

0 Ratings