cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavR0s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 871 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Notice that there are still “product review” articles giving this 4* being published (saw one a few days ago) and not even the slightest mention of this 3month old firmware debacle even though it was quite a long piece - it just shows you how misleading some of this stuff is. This much be in breach of trade description now if any one could be bothered to take it that route
0 Ratings
Highlighted
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 872 of 1,165

T

@DavR0swrote:
Notice that there are still “product review” articles giving this 4* being published (saw one a few days ago) and not even the slightest mention of this 3month old firmware debacle even though it was quite a long piece - it just shows you how misleading some of this stuff is. This much be in breach of trade description now if any one could be bothered to take it that route

There are also many favourable reviews on Amazon, so do you not think that maybe it just could be that it’s a product which does work for a lot of people? I doubt this forum is representative of all those who’ve purchased the product, but unless you conduct a definitive survey, it’s impossible to know the numbers who have problems. It also could be that the majority of problems have occurred for those who have changed over from old to new firmware, and that those buying since start of March have been ok and so for them  it is a good product. If the product works fine for a reviewer and those he/she knows who use it, why not review it favourably? Not sure it’s a breach of trade descriptions not to mention a technical issue being reported by a few people on a forum, but I’m no legal expert..

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 873 of 1,165

Not sure this works correctly for anybody? Each person that thinks it's working correctly checks your log!!
You'll find errors & dropouts in the log .
If the firmware only caused problems for a minority of the hardware BT would not be advising you not to update.
Some people may not be experiencing such serious issues as other granted but BT accept they have a serious issue with the firmware.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 874 of 1,165

@fozwrote:
Not sure this works correctly for anybody? Each person that thinks it's working correctly checks your log!!
If the firmware only caused problems for a minority of the hardware BT would not be advising you not to update.
Some people may not be experiencing such serious issues as other granted but BT accept they have a serious issue with the firmware.

I’m not very tech, could you give examples of the type of messages we should see in the log to indicate the system isn’t working properly. I’ve checked mine and it’s nearly all connected or associated successfully messages...got a few about something added to unfriendly list, no idea what that means. Don’t see anything saying disconnected or error or dropout or anything obvious. My system of all 4 discs has been up now for 22 days and successfully passes devices from one disc to the other  as they move about the house. I don’t know how else to judge it’s working ok...

0 Ratings
pipcoo
Message 875 of 1,165

@DavR0swrote:

I notified Computeractive magazine about the f/w problem as they have BT Wholehome as their recommended mesh router system and they said they would look into it and try to get a comment from BT.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 876 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

@fozwrote:

I’m not very tech, could you give examples of the type of messages we should see in the log to indicate the system isn’t working properly. I’ve checked mine and it’s nearly all connected or associated successfully messages...got a few about something added to unfriendly list, no idea what that means. Don’t see anything saying disconnected or error or dropout or anything obvious. My system of all 4 discs has been up now for 22 days and successfully passes devices from one disc to the other  as they move about the house. I don’t know how else to judge it’s working ok...

My disks have now been up for 22 days.  Looking at the logs I see nothing sinister other than I get some entries that state 'aged out and disassociated' which I think is for devices which are connected but which I'm not currently using.  Other than that the logs don't contain much.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 877 of 1,165

I'll post my logs, (may be advantage for BT). I am currently away in Majorca. Mine are pretty stable now with complete manual configuration, hardwired Ethernet backhaul fixed channels fixed ip and no lights. 2 x twin packs.
0 Ratings
prowlmedia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 878 of 1,165

@fozwrote:
I'll post my logs, (may be advantage for BT). I am currently away in Majorca. Mine are pretty stable now with complete manual configuration, hardwired Ethernet backhaul fixed channels fixed ip and no lights. 2 x twin packs.

While I understand it's useful for fixes for these. The fact remains BT have done nothing about this in 3 months. 

Hardwired backhaul - Not Fit fot purpose.  Power line Ethernet definelty not fit for purpose. 
Manual Channels - Not fit for purpose. 
Lights!!! - If this in anyway interferes with operation then BT engineers clearly have zero Clue how to program. 

Whey have they not reverted the firmware? 
They should Backtrack and rebuild rather than try to find the issue. 

I've now sent back 4x 3packs because of this.   Mine, Parents and in-laws and Brothers.    2 Virgin Routers ( a 2 and a 3 ) A BT HH6 and a Sky router. All have been having the same problem and I recommended it - so I got them to send them all back.  That was a fun call to the BT Disaster line. 

Moved onto Orbi and it's far superior.  Twice as fast with over 30 connected devices.  Massive range.   Orbi too had issues early on and they fixed the firmware in days AND allowed you to revert to an older FW. 

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 879 of 1,165

@prowlmedia

We all have an opinion and that is yours, my experience is somewhat different...

My 3 Pack of whole home is still up and running with no drops and works as it should, As for Orbi, I can show you 6 months of communication with Netgear over my kit, rbk40. Again your experience with Orbi maybe better than that with BT but it is still plagued with faults. And rolling back is not really a solution but a band aid around issues. Orbi has suffered as have many other mesh systems with constant drop outs, so netgear then updated its firmware that didnt like IOS  devices, then home kit, then adding more disk it still has its faults.

Is it great BT have not updated its users what it intends to do? NO... Is it better that as this seems to only seems  to affect some users considering how many units are in the wild that they either try and replicate ths issue or collate enough data to get a fix that does not break those who have working kits? YES

Everyones got an opinion, but if you are going to big up an alternative makes sure its one thats faultless..

RS4
Contributor
Message 880 of 1,165

@prowlmedia

As I have said before, vendors make mistakes (they are human after all), it's how they deal with mistakes that tells you about thier attitude, understanding and support for the customer.  

Publically acknowledging the problem is of course a major first step, at least BT have done that, well, have they publically?  I'm not sure they have as they still advertise BTWH as "Wifi at it's finest" and the most reliable home wifi solution available!  Plus only this past week I have received emails advertising the BTWH 3x disc pack at a reduced price of £169.  I think it has only been on this forum that any form of acknowledgment has been made.

BT leaving it's customers in a 'failed' situation for so long with no fall-back solution demonstrates the extremly low level of care or concern it has for it's customers predicament.   Let's not argue about numbers affected or not, BT have acknowledged the problem on this forum, and have undertaken to replace units for affected customers.  That means there are 'enough' affected customers for it to certainly be an issue.

Given the problem is obviously not a quick-fix, they should have produced an interim firmware for those that want it (even if that is to roll-back to the previous), and in parallel have been working on a permanent remedy.  They should also be providing more information about the expected timescales of the remedy being available.

Apart from the product not being fit-for-purpose, a major reason I decided to return all my discs and switch product was down to the way the problem was/is being dealt with.  Clearly no concern for the customer situation and no information being provided regarding when a fix would be available.  Another reason I had was my concern that BT may drop the product completely.  It is obviously not produced by BT themselves and they obviously have little or no control over the development priorities or quality control of the product.

It always feels like a tough call to tell your customers it might be a long time to wait for a fix or that you have no eta at this time, but keeping customers informed is the most important thing.  Customers that are upset will leave anyway, whilst customers that were fundamentally happy with the product will appreciate the honesty and the information and make appropriate decisions based on the level of impact to themselves.