Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 881 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@prowlmediawrote:

@fozwrote:
I'll post my logs, (may be advantage for BT). I am currently away in Majorca. Mine are pretty stable now with complete manual configuration, hardwired Ethernet backhaul fixed channels fixed ip and no lights. 2 x twin packs.

While I understand it's useful for fixes for these. The fact remains BT have done nothing about this in 3 months. 

Hardwired backhaul - Not Fit fot purpose.  Power line Ethernet definelty not fit for purpose. 
Manual Channels - Not fit for purpose. 
Lights!!! - If this in anyway interferes with operation then BT engineers clearly have zero Clue how to program. 

Whey have they not reverted the firmware? 
They should Backtrack and rebuild rather than try to find the issue. 

I've now sent back 4x 3packs because of this.   Mine, Parents and in-laws and Brothers.    2 Virgin Routers ( a 2 and a 3 ) A BT HH6 and a Sky router. All have been having the same problem and I recommended it - so I got them to send them all back.  That was a fun call to the BT Disaster line. 

Moved onto Orbi and it's far superior.  Twice as fast with over 30 connected devices.  Massive range.   Orbi too had issues early on and they fixed the firmware in days AND allowed you to revert to an older FW. 

Manually changing a channel is hardly onerous and if it prevents a conflict with other hardware ( in my case Sky Q) and allows for stability, then it seems a sensible thing to do. I’d consider it more as configuring the system properly than describing it as a “fix”. You sound very unfortunate to have had 4 kits and none worked in 4 different houses 

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 882 of 1,165

@Dean007  Sensible post....I’d just ask whether anything to do with broadband and WiFi is ever faultless....I’ve never encountered it and never expect to. All I can say is the BT product is way better than the homeplugs I foolishly struggled with for years...whether it’s better than other similar systems I’ve no idea. If this is it not working properly and it can be improved further, I shall be absolutely delighted. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 883 of 1,165

@prowlmediawrote:

@fozwrote:
I'll post my logs, (may be advantage for BT). I am currently away in Majorca. Mine are pretty stable now with complete manual configuration, hardwired Ethernet backhaul fixed channels fixed ip and no lights. 2 x twin packs.

While I understand it's useful for fixes for these. The fact remains BT have done nothing about this in 3 months. 

Hardwired backhaul - Not Fit fot purpose.  Power line Ethernet definelty not fit for purpose. 
Manual Channels - Not fit for purpose. 
Lights!!! - If this in anyway interferes with operation then BT engineers clearly have zero Clue how to program. 

Whey have they not reverted the firmware? 
They should Backtrack and rebuild rather than try to find the issue. 

I've now sent back 4x 3packs because of this.   Mine, Parents and in-laws and Brothers.    2 Virgin Routers ( a 2 and a 3 ) A BT HH6 and a Sky router. All have been having the same problem and I recommended it - so I got them to send them all back.  That was a fun call to the BT Disaster line. 

Moved onto Orbi and it's far superior.  Twice as fast with over 30 connected devices.  Massive range.   Orbi too had issues early on and they fixed the firmware in days AND allowed you to revert to an older FW. 

And yet computer reviews do not rank Orbi above WH but below?  I assume you also need a new modem rather than a modem/router e.g. HomeHub which further adds to the cost.   Reviews also found the Orbi slower than WH for devices which were quite near but around the same for those some distance away.  Obviously these are properly conducted tests so not something I myself can comment on.

I have to say I'm one of the lucky ones who has nothing to complain about so it would be unfair for me to crticise the product.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 884 of 1,165

@mikew88

Whilst all post are valid based on a user experience, it is not as simple as a quick fix. And post can not make claims that BT are not doing anything about it. BT have offered to replace those who are in an un-useable state so they are not doing nothing and this is putting an additonal cost on them which they will not want, and will be working to try and resolve the promblems, in regards to reviews- these are by consumers who clearly are not having issues like myself. When trying to work out what the problem is  BT have to factor in users can have different configurations,   different batches of BWH Disk, devices that could be causing a conflict. If every single user was having the same issue then yes a simple new firmware would help. But how can you creat a new firmware for something that isnt affecting every user.

I am not saying the problem is not there, but you could go the other way like netgear who seem to throw out firmware updates without fully testing, so that whilst it fixes one issue it creates another. Rolling back the firmware would be an easy solution but one that would never find the problem and fix it...  All the mesh systems seem to have a simiilar issue..

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 885 of 1,165

You make some valid points yet BT send out replacement discs telling people not to update! And build 10 firmware is still availabe for new customers to upgrade. I believe BT have stated they're aware of the issue. It's about time BT commented on this thread - 18 weeks on its far to long when there aware of the problem.
0 Ratings
prowlmedia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 886 of 1,165

Sure... I in fact did say Orbi CAN and HAS had issues - But Netgear actually fix issues. BT do not.  Or even acknowledge them or allow you to at least revert to a previously working state.  

BT should be accountable to the people that have bought them and not fob them off as they are on here,  Twitter, Facebook, online support and Phone and countless forums and not allowing a Firmware revert is unacceptable.   That's what they should have done 3 months ago.   This is not remotley isolated. One site, I think it was AV Froums,  had a poll up with hundreds of votes and 80% had issues.   

The very fact that I can phone up and instantly get 4 return Authorisations on Devices, some over a year old, is the ONLY thing BT have done. 

No computer device is faultless,  None.   And everyone has their own setups etc - So I'll recommend another - The Ubiquity UBI AC Pro. 0r any of their many mesh options.  Great enterprise kit - only reason not go for it over ANY other system is it's a WiFi access point only - no router functions - but neither does the  BT whole home.  

Their Home System the Amplify is fantastic too - just a bit pricey. 

0 Ratings
prowlmedia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 887 of 1,165

Depends where you live. I am not in exactly a Built up area and have 9 wifi signals around me.   The point of 'Auto' is to switch to empty band and I can't control what the others are doing. 

I suspect the reason Some people are avoiding this is due to a hardware change at some point. All of these 4 sets were bought from Amazon within a few weeks of each other.   Perhaps the OEM has changed a power control chip or something else that wouldn't require going though regulation testing again. 

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 888 of 1,165

I have to disagree, if it was hardware related BT would surly replace the discs with a working version hw instead they replace the discs and customers are told not to update firmware.
0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 889 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

@prowlmedia

As I have said before, vendors make mistakes (they are human after all), it's how they deal with mistakes that tells you about thier attitude, understanding and support for the customer.  

Publically acknowledging the problem is of course a major first step, at least BT have done that, well, have they publically?  I'm not sure they have as they still advertise BTWH as "Wifi at it's finest" and the most reliable home wifi solution available!  Plus only this past week I have received emails advertising the BTWH 3x disc pack at a reduced price of £169.  I think it has only been on this forum that any form of acknowledgment has been made.

BT leaving it's customers in a 'failed' situation for so long with no fall-back solution demonstrates the extremly low level of care or concern it has for it's customers predicament.   Let's not argue about numbers affected or not, BT have acknowledged the problem on this forum, and have undertaken to replace units for affected customers.  That means there are 'enough' affected customers for it to certainly be an issue.

Given the problem is obviously not a quick-fix, they should have produced an interim firmware for those that want it (even if that is to roll-back to the previous), and in parallel have been working on a permanent remedy.  They should also be providing more information about the expected timescales of the remedy being available.

Apart from the product not being fit-for-purpose, a major reason I decided to return all my discs and switch product was down to the way the problem was/is being dealt with.  Clearly no concern for the customer situation and no information being provided regarding when a fix would be available.  Another reason I had was my concern that BT may drop the product completely.  It is obviously not produced by BT themselves and they obviously have little or no control over the development priorities or quality control of the product.

It always feels like a tough call to tell your customers it might be a long time to wait for a fix or that you have no eta at this time, but keeping customers informed is the most important thing.  Customers that are upset will leave anyway, whilst customers that were fundamentally happy with the product will appreciate the honesty and the information and make appropriate decisions based on the level of impact to themselves.

@RS4I have to say I agree. The lack of information and regular updates from BT hasn't helped and in my own opinion has made things worse.

I actually tried another set of 2x3 discs before switching (because I do really like the BT WH system) and I couldn't access the App without being forced to upgrade to v1.02.04 build10 so I'm now left with the same problem again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
prowlmedia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 890 of 1,165

It's hard to quantify the reviews as BT Whole Home is UK only - and I am sure the sales are a fraction of the others. 

I only needed a Wifi system - not a router.  I currently have the Orbi in Wifi only mode whcih does limit some of the functions.  Only as I have to have the Virgin router wired up to a Synology server both of which are a in the Garage so zero point having a Wifi out there. 

And we all have Very different uses and needs and home setups etc.  So for the most part the official test can be completely pointless.  Do they test for people with 1 metre thick Victorian basement walls or Hollow walls ?  

As I said in my orginal post. Loved the BTWH - but BT have just completly failed to do the right (simple) thing thcih would have been to push a reverted Firmware to the previous stable build -  THEN allow a manual update for those who have had no issues to this one.   

0 Ratings